IGNORED

Hello From a Female Newbie (to Both Golf & Forums) in Dayton

Kasey
Note: This thread is 1697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi folks!

I’m really enjoying the posts I’ve been reading—y’all sound like a real nice crowd! Although I’ve lived in Miamisburg (just outside of Dayton) for 20 years now, I’m originally from Austin, Tx.  The intrigue of golf kind of snuck up on me.  As a kid I thought I’d rather watch paint dry than watch golf but now as I look in the mirror at my middle-aged self I realize that golf and I were meant to be.  I have played in a 9-hole novice/experienced scramble exactly twice and I fell in love. I’m told I’m pretty accurate and fairly consistent with a decent drive for a newbie but I am not experienced enough to judge.  All I know is that playing, however briefly, felt like it was a natural fit.  Now if I could just learn which club to use when! I don’t have friends who play so I have not pursued the game beyond those two times but am anxious to.  I just started a golf class at the university and so far I am loving it.  Can you all give me some advice as to how I can get “plugged in”, meet some people to play with who wouldn’t mind a novice with some promise (I’m told 🤔),  and get out there and learn!?  Thanks, Kasey

Hi.

We've got a few members from the Miami Valley here. It's always nice to have another.

It wasn't all that long ago that I was a beginner. Starting off with the shorter, easier courses and playing from the forward tees is a good way to go. Then, as you get better, start increasing the challenge. My first year, my buddy fed me to your hometown course, Pipestone. It was brutal. 

Not sure if it is still open or not, but Rollandia is (or was) a fantastic short course for beginners. @CarlSpackler and I play out at Kittyhawk and we have an executive course, the Falcon, that's at least short (although not that easy in relation to par). Also Community's Dales Course is a very friendly course for beginners.

Being the sort that plays a lot of rounds by himself, I got no really helpful tips on meeting people, but we do get together with each other on occasion. Actually, a group of us are to play Madden a week from Saturday.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST.  Look at all of the informational videos on the forum.   There are tons.   Ask questions.   It's always exciting with a new person starts golf and posts frequently.   Hope to hear more from you.    You've found the best place on the web to talk golf.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Welcome to TST. Best way to meet people is to simply go up to courses at semi busy times, usually afternoons and play as a single and hope that you get paired up with random folks. Golfers are generally nice folks and will be fine with this, but just like anything else in life you will run into an awkward experience or two. All part of becoming a golfer. 

Eventually, you can find a Friday afternoon league somewhere or something of the sort which will possibly get you into golf further.

Maybe someone from your golf class at the University that you mention of. 

Have a read around here, start a swing thread, post a few comments. 

Vishal S.

Wow thanks everyone for all the replies! Regarding the local golf course Rollandia:  it looks like it’s still open for biz—thanks for the advice.  Now I’ll show how truly new I am: when you say a short course is good...do you literally mean it’s shorter in distance so it’s a shorter distance to golf or does it mean something else? Thanks for the tip from the “reformed curmudgeon” (always nice when they’re reformed!) about the informational videos.  Will go seek them out now.  Thanks to everyone’s warm welcomes and thoughtful tips. Not sure how I found this place but sure glad I did!!! Kasey

Welcome!   I used to live in Western PA and there is a lot of great golf.  Enjoy both the golf and this forum.

—Adam

Welcome to TST. lots of good folks on here, with lots of threads full of good golf info. 

As for finding "golf friends", just join a league, and go golfing at your local course. Your "golf friends" are already there, waiting for you. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Short course just means the course is shorter, tee to green, than average.  Every golf course is "shorter" from the front tees than it is from the back.  A short course is not, necessarily, easier than a long course; but it is less intimidating...particularly for a new golfer.  Use the par 4's as a guide.  If the par 4's are out of reach in two...you need to move up and play the course as it was designed.  That's why there are different tee markers.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

4 hours ago, Kasey said:

Wow thanks everyone for all the replies! Regarding the local golf course Rollandia:  it looks like it’s still open for biz—thanks for the advice.  Now I’ll show how truly new I am: when you say a short course is good...do you literally mean it’s shorter in distance so it’s a shorter distance to golf or does it mean something else? Thanks for the tip from the “reformed curmudgeon” (always nice when they’re reformed!) about the informational videos.  Will go seek them out now.  Thanks to everyone’s warm welcomes and thoughtful tips. Not sure how I found this place but sure glad I did!!! Kasey

Welcome to TST Kasey! And of course welcome to golf. Austin a great city. You’ll find everything golf here and really enjoy it. The instructional content is thorough and all well researched. None of that ‘ just swing the club..it’s natural’ nonsense..lol. Anyway, welcome again and tell us more! Cheers!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Thanks Kevin! Golf class we’re learning the basics of grip, swing , etc.  great fun and only 8 of us in class.  Wish it were more than twice a week! K-

Thanks Piz—that clears it up and I’ll definitely try your advice.  Kase

6 hours ago, Kasey said:

Thanks Kevin! Golf class we’re learning the basics of grip, swing , etc.  great fun and only 8 of us in class.  Wish it were more than twice a week! K-

Thanks Piz—that clears it up and I’ll definitely try your advice.  Kase

Welcome to the site!  This sounds like a great way to be introduced to the game and a few other folks interested in picking up golf.  I would think that some of y'all in the class could meet up for regular rounds.

You've already gotten some good advice regarding playing shorter length courses or at least from the forward tees, but something else I'd recommend is playing best ball.  If you can play with someone experienced, just hit your shot, and if your playing partner's shot is better, pick up your ball and play your next shot from where they are.  It takes the intimidation out of those first few rounds and helps keep up with the pace of play. 

Maybe since there are a few other folks in your class, you could get a group together for a few best ball rounds together to get some on-course experience.  Best of luck and enjoy!

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

11 hours ago, Kasey said:

Now I’ll show how truly new I am: when you say a short course is good...do you literally mean it’s shorter in distance so it’s a shorter distance to golf or does it mean something else?

I mean the distance from the tee box to the green on each hole. One of the biggest challenges in golf, logically, is striking the ball well enough to cover the distance from your starting point to the hole. The shorter that distance is the easier.

One of the great things about golf is the diversity of golf courses. Some courses are very difficult and can stretch up to 7,000-plus yards. Others, like Rollandia, stretch the tape at 2,500 and are relatively devoid of water hazards, trees and other features that give golfers difficulties. Also, each course will have multiple tee boxes to choose from. For instance, Community's Dales Course has its blue tees at 5,302 yards, white tees at 5,023 and gold tees at 4,167. By comparison, Kittyhawk's Eagle Course (my home course), goes 7,174 yards from the blue tees, 6,713 from white and 5,790 yards from the red tees. 

The way I've been playing, I should be planning a few more visits to the Dales Course myself.

+1 for the Dales course. Fairly open holes (especially on the back nine) and a nice short distance. As for meeting people, I like to go online and just reserve for myself, and usually the tee time gets filled with 3 other golfers. I mostly do this on weekends. During the week I just head to the course, and typically walk generally by myself if it isn't crowded. I don't mind pairing up with new people. Although I haven't met anyone that I exchanged numbers with to play again, I almost always have a great time meeting someone new and seeing their game.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• iacas changed the title to Hello From a Female Newbie (to Both Golf & Forums) in Dayton

Patch—what a great sentiment!  Makes me feel really good—thanks! K

Hey MCanadiens , thanks, that makes much more sense to me, thanks! Kase

Bonvivant those tips make a lot of sense, thanks for replying. K

Welcome to TST @Kasey. Always nice to see people taking up this crazy game. I agree with the others about Community Dales course, and it's not too far from you. If you like to walk, it's a bit hilly. I haven't played it, but there is a 9 hole course in Miamisburg called The Mound. There is also a really nice driving range with a short course just off of I75 in Franklin that has a short course.

- Shane

On 8/29/2019 at 8:42 AM, Kasey said:

I’m originally from Austin, Tx.  

Yay! Here you will find, hackers and pros, north south east and west, thick and thin, old and young...All enjoy life to the fullest (except for the gremlins; stay away from the gremlins). Best wishes, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 1697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!