IGNORED

Straddling the Line On the Putting Green

Note: This thread is 1707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this question goes in this section, so here goes.

I went to the Cambia Classic (LPGA) in Portland, Oregon yesterday. I saw a lot of the golfers straddling the line of their putt when they were making their read. So many were doing it, I thought it must be some kind of green-reading system that has caught on, but I haven't heard of it.

Does anybody know what this is about?

Thanks. Shows how out of touch I am!

I use an easier way to perceive the slope around the hole. Let's say the green slopes slightly left to right. Stand on a  line connecting the hole and the ball, then lean to the right (looking into the slope you're not sure of). The green will look fairly flat. Lean to the left, and now you can definitely see the slope because you are looking down it.

7 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Thanks. Shows how out of touch I am!

I use an easier way to perceive the slope around the hole. Let's say the green slopes slightly left to right. Stand on a  line connecting the hole and the ball, then lean to the right (looking into the slope you're not sure of). The green will look fairly flat. Lean to the left, and now you can definitely see the slope because you are looking down it.

AimPoint does it even easier. You stand next to you line and read the slope with you feet. Then you know how much break there will be in the putt. The you pick you aim point to start the putt.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

AimPoint does it even easier. You stand next to you line and read the slope with you feet. Then you know how much break there will be in the putt. The you pick you aim point to start the putt.

The method may be easier...but I’ve never grasped this ‘feet feeling the slope’ idea. My feet have the sensitivity of a tortoiseshell. I’ve tried this and the only time I’m able to sense a slope is when it’s visually obvious.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

The method may be easier...but I’ve never grasped this ‘feet feeling the slope’ idea. My feet have the sensitivity of a tortoiseshell. I’ve tried this and the only time I’m able to sense a slope is when it’s visually obvious.

Diabetic golfers have the same problem as they slowly lose the sensation of any feel in their feet.

I suspect, from personal expirience,  just aging takes some of that sensation of slope feel away from one's feet too. 

Me personally, I love to have the sensitivity in my feet a (desert) tortouse has on their outer shell. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

There are some simple things to do when you are straddling the line with our feet... so you can feel the slope.

First, make sure you are feet are around shoulder width wide.  If you have them too narrow or too wide it is tough to get the feel.

Second, so you are focusing on the feel, try closing your eyes.... this will help you "feel" better.   

Third, try a location on the green that has a LARGE amount of slope.... so you can feel the slope. Starting this by straddling a line that has little slope and convincing yourself that you can not feet it is self-defeating.  Stand so you are facing uphill so you can feel the pressure -- which will be more in your heels.  Stand so you are facing downhill -- you will feel the pressure on your toes.  Then stand side hill.... you will feel the pressure more on one foot than the other.

Fourth, and yes there are some people that may not be as sensitive to the slope as others... however, your body is a fantastic mechanism, it feels the slope and allows you to stand up right!!  If not you would fall over any time you face any amount of slope.

ALSO, once you can feel the slope, learning how much slope there is... is a trained skill.  You need a Level and your feet.... so you can train yourself what a slope of 1% , 2%... feels like.  And once you have trained yourself, you have to check yourself out (re-calibrate) on a regular basis.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

1063961048_trusttheforce.gif.cd5d05e4c70beeae790cfae3ef3d9366.gif

Maybe your midi-chlorian count is too low?

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
3 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

I'm not saying the visual method I described is better than using your feet (to each their own), but what I like about it is that you can SEE the slope. It's right there. And you can see which direction it's going and how much of a slope it is.

Architects can easily trick your eyes.

"Seeing" the slope is far less reliable than feeling the slope.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

53 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

1063961048_trusttheforce.gif.cd5d05e4c70beeae790cfae3ef3d9366.gif

Maybe your midi-chlorian count is too low?

Yeah, and if Yoda owned a set of golf clubs we would've never heard of those guys ....Jones, Hogan, Snead, Palmer, Watson, Nicklaus, Woods....etc.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

FAR less reliable? I don't think so.

I know so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Not if you know their tricks.

FAR less reliable? I don't think so.

The myriad of optical illusion tricks in the world suggest otherwise.

I have yet to encounter something that fools my brain into not knowing how gravity works.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I have a decent idea of Aimpoint express, though never taking a lesson. Can confirm that it has way more potential than visuals. I'm typically a visual guy, but sometimes there are putts where I swear I see it breaking both directions in the same spot if I close my eyes and reopen them. It's kind of like those shadow optical illusions, or the spinning ballerina type of thing. This is the only place where I incorporate a bit of the aimpoint ideas. Close eyes and feel which way the green is sloping with foot pressure.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

On 9/1/2019 at 11:53 AM, Vinsk said:

This does not surprise me. I've had guys walk over my feet like they weren't there and claim that they didn't feel them! I swear they must have grown up as barefoot hillbillies and still have the callouses! 

My feet have always been very sensitive. I can feel a small pebble under my foot with a shoe on! So, I've used my feet to feel the slope for quite a few years. I'd set up to a putt, and just feel the weight rock into my heels or the balls of my feet. Sometimes that would confirm what my eyes told me, other times it would be the opposite, which would cause me to take another look. 

I find this particularly useful when I look at a putt and really have no idea what its going to do! Let your feet do the walking. 

Note: This thread is 1707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!