IGNORED

Matt Every Suspended Three Months for Marijuana

iacas
Note: This thread is 1597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

nope, just a generic gripe against stinky unhealthy shit people do to themselves from the perspective someone that actually medically effected by said shit in addition to just being annoyed or mildly inconvenienced - it doesn't change my philosophy concerning individual choice, but drugs and smoking do seen to stretch it to it's limit - we're good.

"not dying" ...sure, if we define the debate by that criteria - it's safe,

People don't die from over drinking either, it's the car wreck that kills them, or the house burning down.

(Seriously, I don't care.  I don't have any reason to research the topic.  I don't plan to participate, nor do I plan to try and outlaw it.  I support legalization, but that's due a general philosophy of live and let live, so trying to justify it beyond that reason is moot.  I consider legalization needs to come with the ability of employers to choose their people if they smoke, and with limits when use affects others, and for private businesses to prohibit on their property - no one needs to walk through a smoker's cloud or eat or otherwise - they've done a piss poor job in this area for smoking, I don't expect better with pot.  And visiting CO is just a shit show - everything stinks of it.  especially the airport).

2200 die each year in the US from drinking alcohol.  You never heard of alcohol poisoning?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Wow. That is your definition of “safe”?

In this case.  Relatively yes.  Care to opine otherwise?  Not one person that I have ever known has suffered any long term ill effects from smoking weed.  YMMV.

40 minutes ago, Patch said:

I think if you do a search, you will find that some lady down south died from a marijuana (thc) overdose as determined by her autopsy. Rare case to be sure, but can happen. 

marijuana-plants.jpg

A coroner in Louisiana believes he may have investigated the first recorded case of a THC overdose.

18 minutes ago, Zekez said:

In this case.  Relatively yes.  Care to opine otherwise?  Not one person that I have ever known has suffered any long term ill effects from smoking weed.  YMMV.

I don't agree with that. Some people can't handle addictive compounds. I am sure there are plenty of people who have lived wasted lives because of weed. They might be content with it, but with out weed they probably could have had a better life. I would classify that as an ill effect. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Yes I opine otherwise. And my knowledge extends beyond people you have “ever known.”

I define “safe” as more than “doesn’t immediately kill you.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Zekez said:

You do know that no one has ever died from overdosing on marijuana?  Seems relatively safe to me.  Your use of the term "idiots" is what got me questioning your knowledge of marijuana.

You do realize you can die from drinking too much water right? So........

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'd be curious to know what the performance enhancing benefits of marijuana are. I am absolutely stupid, anxious, and 100% athletically uncoordinated under the influence of marijuana, so I can't imagine playing golf in this state. Of course, this varies from person to person.

Aside from coffee, I don't enjoy the effect of any mind altering substance, so I rarely partake. However I don't have anything against those who choose to use legally or illegally, and at my home course I see plenty of people puffing on joints, taking whiskey shots, and then some.

I also don't have any confidence in the anti-doping agencies to regulate use of PED in any sports, but I believe professional athletes are responsible for understanding the rules of their organization and adhering to them, even if the rules are dumb.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

46 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I'd be curious to know what the performance enhancing benefits of marijuana are. I am absolutely stupid, anxious, and 100% athletically uncoordinated under the influence of marijuana, so I can't imagine playing golf in this state. Of course, this varies from person to person.

I believe I heard Joe Rogan talk that some MMA fighters use it during training. Not heavy use, but a lower dosage, and there seems to be benefit. I can't remember his exact quote on it, but I believe it was about marijuana since he is big on its legalization. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

13 hours ago, Zekez said:

I don't ascribe to the research that shows that usage causes issues with brain development.  I know that there are studies done that indicate this, but there is also research that shows the impact isn't nearly as destructive as one would believe.  

You don't get to pick and choose which scientific research you want to be true or not based on if it fits your personal opinion. The research definitively shows that there are physical changes in the structure of the brain when exposed to marijuana during development.

There is currently no research on the long term effects of the changes in the brain from marijuana, because the ability to research marijuana legally (or at least in a legal grey area) hasn't been around anywhere near long enough to make those kinds of conclusions. It's like vaping in that we know it causes changes in the short term but we don't know what it will do in the long run yet.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I believe I heard Joe Rogan talk that some MMA fighters use it during training. Not heavy use, but a lower dosage, and there seems to be benefit. I can't remember his exact quote on it, but I believe it was about marijuana since he is big on its legalization. 

I've definitely heard of similar thoughts from Joe Rogan, as well as his endorsement of DMT and other psychoactive substances, although I don't follow Joe Rogan so I don't know his full opinions and sources.

I believe that marijuana has been shown to be effective for pain management, which I suppose could help athlete training/recovery. But it has also been shown to decrease motor skills (under the influence). I think because marijuana is a schedule 1 narcotic, there is not a large body of research yet on benefits/harms.

In my opinion, MMA fighters who's job is to beat the crap out of each other for our entertainment (or really any pro athlete; NFL, NBA, golf, etc.) should be free to use substances that aid in their recovery, especially pain management. However, the line between aiding recovery and gaining a performance advantage over one's peers is hard to define. I'll be curious to see how marijuana fits into the anti-doping picture in the future once our knowledge base on it's impact increase.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 10/23/2019 at 4:10 PM, iacas said:

Yes I opine otherwise. And my knowledge extends beyond people you have “ever known.”

I define “safe” as more than “doesn’t immediately kill you.”

So offer some examples of people that have had their lives destroyed by weed.  Since you're so worldly.

18 hours ago, Pretzel said:

You don't get to pick and choose which scientific research you want to be true or not based on if it fits your personal opinion. The research definitively shows that there are physical changes in the structure of the brain when exposed to marijuana during development.

There is currently no research on the long term effects of the changes in the brain from marijuana, because the ability to research marijuana legally (or at least in a legal grey area) hasn't been around anywhere near long enough to make those kinds of conclusions. It's like vaping in that we know it causes changes in the short term but we don't know what it will do in the long run yet.

a bit from the article:

Imaging studies of marijuana’s impact on brain structure in humans have shown conflicting results. Some studies suggest regular marijuana use in adolescence is associated with altered connectivity and reduced volume of specific brain regions involved in a broad range of executive functions such as memory, learning, and impulse control compared to people who do not use.38,39 Other studies have not found significant structural differences between the brains of people who do and do not use the drug.40

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Zekez said:

So offer some examples of people that have had their lives destroyed by weed.  Since you're so worldly.

I didn’t claim to be “worldly.” I can accurately claim to have a degree in medicinal chemistry, and to have done a few years of study on highly related topics.

Beyond that… I could name a bunch of people whose lives were negatively affected by routine pot use, in my opinion. Not that you’d know any of them.

And you should quote the paragraphs around the one you quoted. And I could find others, too, from other studies if I really cared.

But ultimately, this has already strayed too far from the original topic which is Matt Every and his suspension.

P.S. First it was “long term ill effects” and now it’s “destroyed lives.” I’m not playing that game.

P.P.S. One guy lost custody of his children because of his pot habit. That right there is a long-term ill effect.

• Like 3

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, Zekez said:

I dont advocate teens using weed, but adults should have the freedom to smoke, tincture, vape, whatever THC fix they want.

As long as they don't blow it in my face. Nothing as disgusting as a person who vapes right next to you, wafting that shit into the air. Yea, I want vapor mixed with spit to just land on me. 

Edited by saevel25
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Zekez said:

I dont advocate teens using weed, but adults should have the freedom to smoke, tincture, vape, whatever THC fix they want.

And employers should have the freedom to fire potheads.

• Upvote 2

Not a user of "weed" myself, preferring cheap 8% beer. 😀

That said, I have made quite a few dollars on legal pot farm stocks. (Green Stocks) . The private banks that handle their profits are some of the strongest in the nation. 

Pot will eventually be legalized, I have no doubt. My bet is in less than 10 years. 

As for athletes using it, I think, eventually. it won't be any different than drinking a few beers with each other. Just like non athletes. 

American society will evolve into total legalization.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Wow! Talk about your basic thread drift... Sounds to me like Matt got suspended rightfully, has owned up to it and is moving on. Good for you, Matt!

11 hours ago, Zippo said:

Wow! Talk about your basic thread drift... Sounds to me like Matt got suspended rightfully, has owned up to it and is moving on. Good for you, Matt!

But has he moved on?  I haven't searched the interwebiverse, but has he given an indication of how he will handle this? Work with his physician to find an alternative treatment course that lies within restrictions of his profession? Just stop using marijuana and see how it goes without any medicinal treatment?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I am a child of the 60's, went to Woodstock, and attended college in Boston from 1969 to 1973.  I have seen many example of frequent pot users losing ambition and failing in their jobs or dropping out of school by refusing to attend classes.  Just like alcohol, marijuana has a lot of negative effects especially in young people and habitual users.  I also do not want to see people put in jail for smoking pot or drinking, but we cannot be blind to the negative consequences of abusers.  That being said, I enjoy a good single malt scotch at least 4 or 5 times per week but cannot remember the last time I over drank

I do have a friend that is a very good golfer that smokes a small amount of pot before every round and claims it helps his concentration and ability to perform.  So is it a PED?  For some it may be.  I personally cannot stand the effects of THC and the last thing I need on a golf course is a scotch on the rocks to help my game.  

19 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

the last thing I need on a golf course is a scotch on the rocks to help my game.  

Of course not. Always neat, with maybe a drop or two of water. :content:

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 1597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!