iacas

PGA Tour's 2020 Pace of Play Changes

PGA Tour's Policy  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How big of a difference will the PGA Tour's new policy make?

• None - It's all for show.
    • Some. They'll make an example of a few people, and that'll be that.
    • A moderate amount. Players will speed up after a few get some penalty shots.
    • A bunch. It will noticeably improve the pace of play on the PGA Tour.

87 posts / 5924 viewsLast Reply

Only Aussies and Kiwis will understand this. I use to play with a guy who was notoriously slow on the greens and we called him ANZAC.

He use to putt after a minutes silence.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yay!

The European Tour has always been more for this stuff than they are on the Slugger White Tour.

Couldn't happen to a slower guy.

The more I look at this issue, the more it relates to the pool world for me. There are some extremely slow pool players out there, but when it comes to big time tournaments, there is a shot clock involved (at least in the later rounds of the tournament). Something I would like to see is this: Players are on a 40 second shot clock that starts when it is their turn to play. When it gets to 5 seconds left, a noise comes in that ticks every 1 second. One time per hole, a player may use an "extension", which is activated by saying "extension" which adds 1 minute to their shot clock. If the player fails to strike the ball before their timer runs out, it resets and a stroke is added to their score. The only time that this would be altered would be in the case of calling over a rules official for another issue. If the rules official deems that they did not need to be called over, and feels that the player is trying to swindle more time by calling them over, some other penalty may incur at the official's discretion (perhaps 2 strokes for stalling). Time could be kept by volunteers or the like. 

19 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Players are on a 40 second shot clock that starts when it is their turn to play

How would that work for the first person to hit their approach shot? Because technically the moment after all 3 players have hit their tee shots, it becomes that person's turn to play.

When it gets to 5 seconds left, a noise comes in that ticks every 1 second. 

This would never happen.

Time could be kept by volunteers or the like.

And what if a volunteer likes one player more than another so they "forget" to start the timer on time, resulting in that player getting extra time?

10 minutes ago, klineka said:

How would that work for the first person to hit their approach shot? Because technically the moment after all 3 players have hit their tee shots, it becomes that person's turn to play.

The 40 seconds mentioned in the rule starts when you get to your ball. The method I was refering to with the clock and beeper is just what they use in pool, so it's what I know. Obviously pool and golf are different, but the system works very well in a pool setting so that one player can't ice others out by taking more time than necessary. 

8 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

The 40 seconds mentioned in the rule starts when you get to your ball.

That would also unfairly benefit the longer hitters because someone like Rory or Cameron Champ hitting last in the group would almost always have more than 40 seconds compared to someone like Kevin Kisner or Chez Reavie.

I understand that longer hitters now currently have longer as well, but assessing an instant one stroke penalty every single time any player were to go over the 40 second mark seems excessive IMO.

2 minutes ago, klineka said:

That would also unfairly benefit the longer hitters because someone like Rory or Cameron Champ hitting last in the group would almost always have more than 40 seconds compared to someone like Kevin Kisner or Chez Reavie.

I understand that longer hitters now currently have longer as well, but assessing an instant one stroke penalty every single time any player were to go over the 40 second mark seems excessive IMO.

Make it 60 seconds then with a 60 second extension like a was talking about earlier.

I was nice to see Bryson get put on the clock then proceed to bogey the last 4 holes to lose by 4 this weekend. Maybe just being put on the clock is enough to make them crack under the pressure. If that's all it takes, then great.

This is the type of clock that I was talking about this. Just put this into play everywhere, not just for a special event.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

This is brilliant. I played my local 5800 yard track in 2:15 yesterday, and that was without running.

Well on the European Tour they have started to work on this. Like stated above DeCham got a warning and when I was watching live Pepperell asked a rules official for an extension, so another 40 seconds. The rules official looked back and saw there was no one waiting for him and allowed him another 40 seconds. 

The policy is fine, but the enforcement I expect to be the same as with similar things in the past, and that will limit it to "some."