IGNORED

What Are Your 2020 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To play a round for the first time in 4yrs is the top goal for me!!!

then as long as things go well with my back build a good practice routine 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well since hoping for a more consistent long game is highly unlikely. I think I would do better just trying to get a consistent miss. Game management is also high on the list too. 

My golf goals for 2020 are quite simple:

1. Improve my impact position to increase distance and quality of contact

2. Determine my average distances for each club in the bag

To accomplish goal # 1, I will use the drills posted in the COVID-19 Challenge with fidelity.  I have already begun the process of focusing on those drills that are specific to this end; Days 1-5, 9, 10, and 12, as well as any future drills dealing with impact and the full swing.  Please don’t construe this as me ignoring the other days devoted to short-game and putting, but I know from experience that I have always thrown away a lot of strokes long before getting around the green. 

So far, after just a few sessions with these drills, I have seen a significant improvement in contact.  Now, instead of getting stuck, and hitting the ball fat, my worst shots are thin, and my best shots are getting absolutely flushed.  Given that I no longer have to commute to work for the remainder of the school year, I should have ample time to practice to practice these drills, and improve my impact.

To accomplish goal # 2, I will use the simple launch monitor that I purchased to determine how far I hit the ball with each club.  Of course, I cannot be 100% sure of the accuracy of the device, but when I have the chance to go back in and take a lesson, I will be able to compare the results alongside their high-end launch monitor.  To help me accomplish this, I have created a chart in Excel to track carry distance, ball speed (the two factors that my launch monitor measures) over the course of ten shots.  As I hit shots, I record those shots that are well struck to get my average distances.  Below each row of shot distances and ball speeds, I have also created row of spaces to record well struck and poorly struck shots.  This allows me to track how many shots it takes me to get to the ten recorded to attain an average, and will show me how my ball-striking is improving.

I have attached a PDF of the chart that I designed for this purpose.

Golf Club Distances - Brad.pdf

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I'd be satisfied with playing.  Just a good walk ruined.  Good nuff.  I had goals.  I forgot them.  I think it was becoming a lower 70's shooter again.   I'm old.  I've shot good enough rounds, many in the 60's. Getting out there is good enough.  Locked up, not allowed to leave the house?  After recovering from what seems to have been pneumonia and being told to just go to the ER, being able to swing and walk is good enough.

Hit it.  Got get it.  Do it again.

On a more philosophical level, I recall so many times playing with others who got all angry.  Silly really.  After several chunked pitched and fits of fury, I would sometimes ask how often they practiced or took lessons on that shot.  I don't care.  I asked.  Deer in the headlights.  Like, what practice?  In my head, I'd think I practice that shot for hours....every week.  And, I would forgive myself for screwing up.  Because it is a hard game and few shots are perfect, especially for us hacks.   I guess the only practice possible now is mental.  Accept the misses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Know comfortably what each of my clubs can hit. This starts and finishes at the range. I need to hit off grass and not turf. 

Increase good shot percentage (about 50% right now-I'd like so see closer to 75%). I want to make sure I am striking the ball well. This will also be done at the range. I plan to find out exactly where in my stance each club requires the ball to be.

Learn new types of shots, this is also a range drill that can easily be used on the course. I have just started playing with flop shots (about 1/4 go really well), I'd also like to learn better punch shots when needing to keep a ball low.

Average 2 putts or less per hole. Currently I am north of two and almost at 3. I will spend a lot of time on the putting greens this season.

If I can do all of the above, my handicap should lower by at least 5 strokes I would think

Well, I guess my goal for 2020 is what I will call acceptance. I was a single digit (7 to 9) handicapper for nearly three decades. Now at 70 years old with bad knees and a torn  right rotator  cuff, I can only seem to shoot in the mid to high 80s. I've moved up from 6600 yards to 6200, but that hasn't helped much. I no longer play in tournaments as playing two days in a row is sometimes a problem. I will keep playing because I truly love the game. It's just really hard to grasp that scoring in the 70s is possibly over for me. I guess I should be happy to still be on this side of the grass. I just cannot stop remembering making birdies and beating my buddies. 

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

Well, I guess my goal for 2020 is what I will call acceptance. I was a single digit (7 to 9) handicapper for nearly three decades. Now at 70 years old with bad knees and a torn  right rotator  cuff, I can only seem to shoot in the mid to high 80s. I've moved up from 6600 yards to 6200, but that hasn't helped much. I no longer play in tournaments as playing two days in a row is sometimes a problem. I will keep playing because I truly love the game. It's just really hard to grasp that scoring in the 70s is possibly over for me. I guess I should be happy to still be on this side of the grass. I just cannot stop remembering making birdies and beating my buddies. 

Play the game for the camaraderie and the sunshine.  Where are your buddies?  You should still be able to beat them.  ☺️   Become wiley... get more crafty with your short shots.  Make Crenshaw look like a hack at putting.  Tell younger guys of your long game prowess... and always show them where you hit the ball to on driving holes, making sure to make up a place at least 10 yards past them.  An older friend of mine did that... I'd crush a drive and he'd say that when he was younger he drove the ball to "that rock"... well past mine.  Have fun Hoganman, stay healthy, enjoy the game on the terms granted you.  My Dad always said getting older sucked, but someone had to volunteer.

Oh, and remember, you are still in the top 20% of all golfers.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Play the game for the camaraderie and the sunshine.  Where are your buddies?  You should still be able to beat them.  ☺️   Become wiley... get more crafty with your short shots.  Make Crenshaw look like a hack at putting.  Tell younger guys of your long game prowess... and always show them where you hit the ball to on driving holes, making sure to make up a place at least 10 yards past them.  An older friend of mine did that... I'd crush a drive and he'd say that when he was younger he drove the ball to "that rock"... well past mine.  Have fun Hoganman, stay healthy, enjoy the game on the terms granted you.  My Dad always said getting older sucked, but someone had to volunteer.

Oh, and remember, you are still in the top 20% of all golfers.

Thanks for the encouraging words. You're right, of course. I know people my age who can no longer play at all.  There are several senior groups at our club. One group most of whom are 70 to 75 play our gold tees which are 5800 yards. I'm thinking about joining that group as they really seem to be having a lot of fun. We also have a hybrid set of tees that is 6000 yards. It may just be time to swallow my ego and give those tees a try.  

Anyway back to the OPs original request. My goal is to break 80 at least once or twice in 2020. 

Edited by Hoganman1

On 4/23/2020 at 6:07 PM, Hoganman1 said:

While never being a single digit handicapper, I do know what you mean. I'm 68, (right behind you), and have had three lower back surgeries. I use to play a hell of lot better then I can now, I lost all my distance, I now shoot in the 90's. I too love the game and will not stop playing. Through a friend I joined a league of older guys, around my age, and we play a best ball scramble, we're out there now to have fun and a little competition. There are about 50 of us in the league, maybe 40 show up ever week to play. We each kick in $10 to a pool, a little money goes to the top three groups and closest to the pin on the par threes. The balance of the money goes to a homeless shelter and a home for battered women. Makes you feel good.

Like I said I'll keep playing, especially once this virus thing subsides, but play more for fun and just enjoy the companionship. The guys I play with are a pisser, one guy even smokes pot while we're playing, says it helps his game, (but of course his playing doesn't reflect that). 

On 4/23/2020 at 3:07 PM, Hoganman1 said:

I am in my 60's and took this game up about 10 years ago.  I note your comments on distance.  I relocated/retired to Vancouver Island so I can enjoy a longer golf season and joined a local club, where there are many senior golfers.  I play in these groups regularly with 60-75 year old players.  I realize we are at sea level but I have a tough time getting most of these guys to play anything over 5700 and many of them play 5200. I am a longer hitter with fairly high SS and also play with a small group of lower cap guys that play 6300 and 6000.  My point is that I think it is quite acceptable to play shorter tees, especially as you age and I know for a fact that you will shoot scores you are happier with if you move up. 

Edited to add my goals.

Would like to get my index down to 12's, longer term single digit.  Straighten out my driver, so I can use it more often and keep it in play. Fix my backswing. Learn to stay focused for the full 18 holes.

Edited by SteveH

This year is the first year of setting real goals: 

(1) Complete a round with no penalty strokes due to OB/LB.

(2) Shoot consistently better scores - aiming to break 90 consistently (last year was first full year of really trying to play, ended year shooting at 100 - which for me was major considering the scores I was putting up early 2019) (COVI-19 Practice Plan combinged w/LSW will be the tools for this to be achievable).  

(3) To build walking endurance to be able to walk at least 9-holes.  I want to see/play the game from other than the cart path.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

1. Average putts per round under 30: To do this, continued emphasis on not missing putts inside of 5 feet and distance control on longer putts to avoid 3 putts

2. Average up and down from inside 100 yards over 50%: Wedges, wedges, wedges. Continuing to develop distance and spin control, especially with chips and pitches.

3. Average OB/LB's per round less than 1: This largely will come down to developing a consistent miss, particularly with driver. More time at the range should help me accomplish this.

Another golf related goal of mine is to create a simple putting green in the backyard.  It's not going to be anything fancy, with all sorts of drainage built underneath it, or anything like that, but it will allow me to practice a variety of shots.  There is a raised area that I'm going to smooth out with a mixture of sand and topsoil and try to get the Bermuda to grow on.  If it's smooth enough to putt on, so be it, but at the very least, the kids and I will be able to pitch and chip to it.  Also, we can hit full shots with foam practice balls, so I can work on my approach shots, and they can learn how to play without being on an actual golf course... especially since the executive and par three courses nearby have closed.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

It's 2020 already?!   Wasn't it 2019 just a few months ago?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!