IGNORED

I Have Trouble With Short Irons

Acemyass
Note: This thread is 1589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm new to golf, so I basicly have troubles with all clubs / irons 😂

But I noticed, that the i9 + PW and SW are making me the most problems. I shank them, hit them fat or, most of the time, hit them thin. I don't have the problem with the larger irons.

Is this a common problem? Is there a quick fix from the distance? Probably my swing sucks, but then again as said, I hit the larger irons and clubs pretty good,

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Acemyass said:

But I noticed, that the i9 + PW and SW are making me the most problems. I shank them, hit them fat or, most of the time, hit them thin. I don't have the problem with the larger irons.

Is this a common problem? Is there a quick fix from the distance? Probably my swing sucks, but then again as said, I hit the larger irons and clubs pretty good,

Thanks

Smooth it out, relax... make your swing more languid and lazy, take the "hit" out of it.  Watch the pros on TV hit their short irons and wedges.  Mimic.

36 HC? Check your posture. Are you trying to help the ball into the air. The clubs are shorter than the others and can throw some people off. Do you know how to hit a punch shot? Work on hitting punch shots with your PW. See how low you can keep it and still hit your target. It's a valuable shot to know.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to I Have Trouble With Short Irons
6 hours ago, Acemyass said:

Thanks

Check your ball position. It's kind of odd that a new golfer would find longer irons easier to hit than the shorter ones.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

OP

You're experiencing the opposite of many golfers...they typically struggle with the mid and long irons.

You are new to the game and a 36 cap...there is no easy fix.....you need to spend the money to get lessons before bad swing habits become the norm and then they become more difficult to correct.

If I had to have a guess, it is that you are standing too far away from the ball with your short irons. I know that sometimes when I get in a funk, this is the cause, and since you are new like me, this could be the problem. Keep playing golf, and keep having fun!

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

(edited)

Thanks guys. I will check my posture with a mirror today at the range. I'll have a look at the ball position as well. If it won't fix it, I probably get a lesson or two.

It's strange, that the regular golfer find hitting shorter irons easier. I hit my i7 roughly about 130 yards with good direction control. I think that's ok for a beginner. 

Edited by Acemyass

16 hours ago, Acemyass said:

Thanks

We have a section called Member Swings. You can film your swing and we can take a look at it there.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, billchao said:

It's kind of odd that a new golfer would find longer irons easier to hit than the shorter ones.

Is it odd that a golfer with 20 year's experience feels the same way? Lol I would much rather hit my 4-7 irons than my 8-PW....I feel like most of my shots with shorter clubs are glancing blows, I hardly ever hit them solid. SMDH, stupid game...

Colin P.

So I went to the Driving Range today and tried your suggestions regarding posture and ball position. With no success, still the old problem. I think there is something wrong with my posture though. Since my left hip was permanently stiffened by surgery (old accident I had way back) it is hard for me to get in the right position at address. Booked 2 sessions with a pro to find a way to  make it work.

4 hours ago, colin007 said:

Is it odd that a golfer with 20 year's experience feels the same way? Lol I would much rather hit my 4-7 irons than my 8-PW....I feel like most of my shots with shorter clubs are glancing blows, I hardly ever hit them solid. SMDH, stupid game...

Excactly the way I feel over here 😁 Nice to know that even experienced golfers feel this way 

On 12/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, Acemyass said:

😁

You'll figure it out. I wonder if you're experiencing a visual issue with seeing all that loft and thinking there's a tiny margin of error. I remember having moments of doubt like that early on (and to be honest I still do occassionally) and subsequently hit a chunky-monkey or an ankle-rocket.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:36 PM, Acemyass said:

So I went to the Driving Range today and tried your suggestions regarding posture and ball position. With no success, still the old problem. I think there is something wrong with my posture though. Since my left hip was permanently stiffened by surgery (old accident I had way back) it is hard for me to get in the right position at address. Booked 2 sessions with a pro to find a way to  make it work.

Excactly the way I feel over here 😁 Nice to know that even experienced golfers feel this way 

Honestly, right now everything sucks for you.  In all likelihood, your swing is a total mess.  If significant improvement is your goal, you have to

1. Learn how to swing properly.  It is not a natural motion.  It must be learned, practiced, and improved.

2. Learn the physics of what causes the ball to do what it is doing when it leaves the face of your club so that you actually know what you are doing wrong - and can act to fix it.

3. Hit lots and lots and lots and lots of golf balls with proper form to develop muscle memory

The most direct way to do all of those things is to get instruction from a professional.  That's a good first step you are taking.  When I joined this site, everything was a mystery. But the good news is that you can make considerable progress by learning from the guys here.

Good luck!

Edited by Cantankerish
grammar
  • Upvote 1

Yes, my swing probably is a mess. That's why I'm taking lessons. Have my first one next Monday.

It is just strange, that I hit the longer irons with good direction control. Not far, but I read that distance comes over time. I was at the Driving Range yesterday and tried the short irons and wedges again. I have even trouble making contact with them. 😳

I joined this site, because I think that I can learn something fro m the more experienced guys here. Different than other sites, it is not just bragging over here.

Let's see where the journey will take me. Thanks for your advice!

Edited by Acemyass
Some grammar

44 minutes ago, Acemyass said:

Yes, my swing probably is a mess. That's why I'm taking lessons. Have my first one next Monday.

I would suggest you take your lessons first and then ask if you are still struggling.  The reason I say this is because there are so many moving parts to a swing that any of them can throw it off.  Without a video it is nigh on impossible to diagnose unless we know your swing.

Also, as someone mentioned above, lessons are critical to ingraining good rather than bad habits into your swing.

Good luck with lessons and ensure you practice what the pro teaches you.  Otherwise those are just theory with no real world application.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I am going to go against the grain here and say that your swing isn't the problem (necessarily). Good shots are made from good impact. If you're long irons are going the way that you like, then you can make good impact. The problem is doing it on the clubs that should be the easiest.

I like to imagine a nail through the ball at address. If it is a drive, the AOA is positive. If it is an iron/wedge it is a negative AOA.

What I would suggest is to have a range session with only 8-lowest wedge. Attempt to drive the nail through the ball on all shots. This should be a nail that points from the back of the ball to a point on the ground about 3 inches in front of it. If you think/believe that you can drive that nail, you will start hitting some amazing shots. You might have to move your stance, or do something else different, but you should be able to dial any iron in with this method.

Impact is the most important part of the golf shot, and it sounds like you have it everywhere but here.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Take a larger view. Find a good instructor and work with them to learn golf swing basics. Chances are you have no idea of what seven other ills ail you.

A new golfer trying to cure singular ills like OP is useless and even counter productive. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

I hit my driver and woods very well but I am terrible with my irons. I have been working with an instructor who keeps reminding me to “sweep the grass” instead of dugging a trench with my irons. 

Just re-reading this post made me think of another thing.  Note, that due to the difference in length between a 3i and a PW, the two swings are quite different.  It is possible that you are swinging the same way for all clubs and this is causing the problem.  If so, I would assume your swing is more suited to the long irons, rather than the short ones.

Consider this, ball position changes as you move from a 3i to PW.  If you are still playing the PW somewhere close to your lead heel, you are more likely to hit it badly.  Ditto with hitting a 3i close to your trail heel.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 1589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!