IGNORED

What Are The Green Speeds at Your Home Club?

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Green Speeds at Your Course  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What is the average green speed in feet, day to day in decent weather, at your home course?

• < 8
    • > 11

What are the normal/tournament green speeds for your home courses? For mine, we keep the greens at between 8 and 9 on the stimp for regular play, and to about a 10 for club championships.

Edited by iacas
Added Poll

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don’t really know what the stimp reads, and it’s probably a horrible guess but I would say somewhere around 10. A few courses I play in the area probably reach 12, but not many. 

We keep our regular play speeds between 10 & 11. We’ve run our tournaments up to 12.5. Can’t do much more than that due to the slope of them.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Our green speeds aren't published, but I'd guess they're on the order of 8 or 9 most times, maybe up to 10 for special events.  We have a number of tiered greens, some other sloping sections, if the greens were much faster than that and they'd be nearly unplayable.  In my recent visit to Pinehurst, the greens were definitely faster,  I'd guess most of the greens were 10 to 11.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Day to day play at my club is targeted at 10.  Special events can bump it up to 12.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My guess will be that people who are good putters will underestimate the speed, and the bad putters will over estimate. Courses that see a lot of play like the ones I play in no way can keep speeds that are too high. Too much stress and they'd be dead by the end of June. There might be variations based on location and strain of grass, but a daily fee muni can't really keep it's greens at 11 or 12. 

My criteria is smoooooothness. Fast is fine and slow is fine as long as the line is true. Usually figure it out pretty quick. But a bumpy green is worse than any problems that speed cause.

I think normally they'd be around a 7 or 8, and they'll get them up to 10 or 11 for certain tournaments. My course had the reputation for the slowest greens in town, but that's not really been true recently. They've certainly amped up the speeds at times last year. The speeds at the club championship were the fastest I've seen on these greens, and they were fast by anybody's standards. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I asked out of curiosity a couple of seasons ago, and we went out to the practice green.  Measured 7.5.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 hours ago, RayG said:

My guess will be that people who are good putters will underestimate the speed, and the bad putters will over estimate. Courses that see a lot of play like the ones I play in no way can keep speeds that are too high. Too much stress and they'd be dead by the end of June. There might be variations based on location and strain of grass, but a daily fee muni can't really keep it's greens at 11 or 12. 

Depends on the type of grass. Some can handle compression and length better than others.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

I have no idea what the "stimp" is at any of the courses I regularly play; none publish or post the green speeds.  I have never seen anyone using a stimp meter in my 50+  years of playing.  Of course, I have never been a member of a private club and rarely play private courses so my situation is missing a significant segment of the golf world.

Brian Kuehn

20 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I have no idea what the "stimp" is at any of the courses I regularly play; none publish or post the green speeds. 

LOL - yeah, They'd probably get a very blank look if I asked my usual local public course what the "stimp" was.....

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How often do you see your greens superintendent using a stimpmeter?

Ours has his out there almost every day.  I assume most supers are similar because they will want to make sure the greens are consistent from one to the next.  Its generally a good metric to keep track of against their normal routines/spraying habits.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

Ours has his out there almost every day.  I assume most supers are similar because they will want to make sure the greens are consistent from one to the next.  Its generally a good metric to keep track of against their normal routines/spraying habits.

As I understand it, this was the initially intended use for the Stimpmeter, to help superintendents keep green speed consistent among all the greens on a course, and consistent from day to day.  Since then it seems to have become a bragging point for some courses.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How often do you see your greens superintendent using a stimpmeter?

Quite a bit...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

23 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Quite a bit...

I play 3-4 times a week and usually in the mornings when the greens are being mowed.  But I've never seen a stimpmeter being used on the course(s).  Though the lead greens superintendent did show me his new one on the practice green a few years ago.

Note: This thread is 1607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!