IGNORED

2020 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 1090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

WooooOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Finally pulled it off in about the 14th round at Whispering Woods (from the blue or black tees)! I needed 1 and 2, and most of the time, I'd show up and roll onto the first tee without warming up. Even still, I've hit a lot of good shots on those holes, and lipped out a combined 15 times or so for birdie there, so it was hopefully bound to happen soon.

Today the course was WET but I putted before going to the first tee. Tee shots embedded on both holes (one is a par 4, two is a par 3), and I made about a 12 footer on the first and an eight footer on the second. The latter lipped IN from the high side!

So happy to have finished this off. Pursuant to the rules I played the rest of the front nine, but I switched out to some pink cheap ball I found by the third tee as I didn't want to embed and lose some decent balls. It turns out I didn't lose that sucker, and played pretty well considering the slop. Ended up at 34, with another birdie and a bogey out there on the last seven.

So, I'm done with my home course. I still have a few on the away/composite, but only two more rounds actually scheduled, and hopefully the weather holds up for those.

Congratulations!! My shot of the year came on number 2 when I was up there. After a shank and a fat pitch, a pitch in from 40 yards for 3 for 2 was definitely the highlight of my year. I think if you run this challenge again next year, I am going to combine my 2 home courses into one to give myself a better shot. I believe I did finish the par challenge, but haven't been excited to fill in the spreadsheet when I don't have any birdies. The other course is about 1k (6300 vs 5300) yards shorter, and more of an executive style, but I only play 1/4 to 1/3 of my rounds on it, so I won't be abusing it too much.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been stuck on both the home course (which I haven't played as much as usual) and on the away courses. I have 8 more to go on the home course and just #14 on the away composite. I had several good opportunities that stopped on the lip, both putting and chipping. It's kind of annoying at this point.

On the home front, I am not sure why I can't make any progress on the sheet, as some of those holes left are gettable, particularly #1 (but I don't warm up and am just happy with a par there), but I haven't got them, lol!  It's not like I am suddenly making fewer birdies, but they are not on the holes I need them on.

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

It serves me well to rant. I just completed the away challenge today, with a birdie at the dreaded #14.  I had a terrible drive, with about 200 yards left, flushed a 5 wood over the fairway bunker that's at 150yds out, and a tree, and put the ball about 5 ft from the pin. I easily rolled the putt in: it was almost straight. The second shot is what did it: I couldn't believe the ball was that close to the hole! :dance:

Now, to make some progress on the home course... There is still time in this season, but with the standard time returning next week, not much time in the day: it will be dark at 5:00, and all the courses are still super busy: I didn't go to the home course today because the soonest that I could book was 1:45. Next week, it's not going to work, at all.

Edited by sjduffers
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Philippe

And one more today at the home course. A beautiful hybrid on the par 3 #4 from 180yds, left me with a slight right-to-left putt really uphill, about 6ft and I rolled it in the middle of the hole. :dance:

Only 7 more to go, but I feel there are probably only 2 or 3 that are gettable, unless something of a fluke happens. We'll see...

Philippe

Damn these last 4 are killin’ me!  

I’d take an 86 for a birdie on one of them now!

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I know I know, there is an excel spreadsheet but I like to write things down on paper...I joined this new club in June and have been keeping track of all my pars and birdies. My goal was to par every hole at least once, which I completed already. My season ends at the end of November (weather permitting) so there is not much time left to finish the birdie challenge.  I think I will eventually birdie #3,7,10 if I have more time, but doubt #20,21,23 will ever happen. 

My home course is Paako Ridge and it has 27 holes. Depending on the combination of 9s, here’s the yardage/rating/slope that I play (from the forward tees):

Course 1&2  5755/72.6/139

Course 2&3  5886/72.9/141

Course 1&3  5937/73.3/140

I am really happy with what I have accomplished in the last 5 months!

723BBD94-CF37-4762-AB33-73F9E7A79E39.thumb.jpeg.4614ba1635bddd81e6486d2cce5e9795.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Administrator

I don't think I'm going to get the composite course done. I birdied 5 (needed 4) and 16 and 17 this past weekend. I needed 13 on the back nine, I think.

Oddly the fourth hole on each side.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, someone deleted a ton of rows in the "Away Course Composite", so my entry doesn't exist anymore.

I had a birdie on Friday on #14.  I think that was new.

- John

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Well, someone deleted a ton of rows in the "Away Course Composite", so my entry doesn't exist anymore.

I had a birdie on Friday on #14.  I think that was new.

It wasn't. Friday? Saturday, you meant? Pray tell, what was that birdie again? 😄

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It wasn't. Friday? Saturday, you meant? Pray tell, what was that birdie again? 😄

Haha. That was a weird glitch in Google Sheets, but yeah, I already had a birdie on #14. 

- John

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JohnDelrio said:

Is this still active? I think I missed it. 😞 

It’s still 2020 so yes.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 1:42 AM, FlyingAce said:

I know I know, there is an excel spreadsheet but I like to write things down on paper...I joined this new club in June and have been keeping track of all my pars and birdies. My goal was to par every hole at least once, which I completed already. My season ends at the end of November (weather permitting) so there is not much time left to finish the birdie challenge.  I think I will eventually birdie #3,7,10 if I have more time, but doubt #20,21,23 will ever happen. 

My home course is Paako Ridge and it has 27 holes. Depending on the combination of 9s, here’s the yardage/rating/slope that I play (from the forward tees):

Course 1&2  5755/72.6/139

Course 2&3  5886/72.9/141

Course 1&3  5937/73.3/140

I am really happy with what I have accomplished in the last 5 months!

723BBD94-CF37-4762-AB33-73F9E7A79E39.thumb.jpeg.4614ba1635bddd81e6486d2cce5e9795.jpeg

Nice work! 

Color me impressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Crazy good weather in Chicago enabling more golf.  Got out to my 9 hole "home" course this morning and added a birdie on the 8th. Stuck it a foot away from the pin from 165 out.  Probably my best shot of the year.  Still haven't solved par on the 7th hole. Maybe tomorrow morning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 5:50 PM, TourSpoon said:

Seven more birdies but only added #12 to the list. Need 2, 6, 7, 14, and 15. 

1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18

Since the last post I hit up 10, 12, 15 and last week I ripped off 5 birdies in one round, 3, 4, 7, 9, 12 then followed the next round by hitting 12 and 14. So all I need is 2 and 6 to complete the challenge and I didn't start until June. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 1090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!