altos

Epic Flash - Hitting a Baked Potato

24 posts / 1706 viewsLast Reply

I tried out an Epic Flash driver.   Most of the drivers I have hit, including my Callaway GBB, have a bit of a "click" to the sound.   This Epic Flash sounded like I was hitting a baked potato.  Just a flat "splat".  Ball flew ok, good control, only average distance.  Do all Epics sound like this?   Thanks !!!

Yes, it’s more of a muted sound like the Taylormade M5 and M6.  Not a metallic sound like you are describing.  It almost “feels” softer or more solid because of the sound.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure about in the difference between the driver and fairways, but I recently got a fairway wood, and it feels and sounds good.

3 hours ago, altos said:

I tried out an Epic Flash driver.   Most of the drivers I have hit, including my Callaway GBB, have a bit of a "click" to the sound.   This Epic Flash sounded like I was hitting a baked potato.  Just a flat "splat".  Ball flew ok, good control, only average distance.  Do all Epics sound like this?   Thanks !!!

It's the carbon sound/feel.  I personally like that feeling; never really liked the "tingy" sound/feel.  I actually preferred the feel of the Rogue as I found it gave more feedback, but I'm gaming the Epic Flash.  It's pretty good.

On 1/7/2020 at 1:45 PM, altos said:

Not sure about your baked potatoes, but I overcook mine and get a nice "click".  Unless I accessorize it with too much sour cream.

Just bought an Epic Flash... got a good deal at Callaway Pre-Owned.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I wanted to see a video of a guy hitting a baked potato with his Epic Flash. Count me as being disappointed.

Empirical evidence has yielded predictable results.  Cantaloupes are too highly dependent on ripeness plus the seeds get everywhere.  Tomatoes just don't work, messy.  Potatoes.... after 7 minutes in the microwave, very good to eat but still sound like cr@p.  

Regardless, the sound is still... fluffy, no click.  I bought it from Callaway so I have to assume it's "real" vs counterfeit.   Argh....  still sounds "weak".

13 hours ago, altos said:

Empirical evidence has yielded predictable results.  Cantaloupes are too highly dependent on ripeness plus the seeds get everywhere.  Tomatoes just don't work, messy.  Potatoes.... after 7 minutes in the microwave, very good to eat but still sound like cr@p.  

Regardless, the sound is still... fluffy, no click.  I bought it from Callaway so I have to assume it's "real" vs counterfeit.   Argh....  still sounds "weak".

What ball do you play?

On 4/5/2020 at 5:03 PM, Sean_D said:

I wanted to see a video of a guy hitting a baked potato with his Epic Flash. Count me as being disappointed.

Same here, that is what drew me.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:03 PM, Sean_D said:

I know, right?  I even turned my speakers up full blast to get the full effect.

I give this thread one out of five stars. 😁

28 minutes ago, bwdial said:

I know, right?  I even turned my speakers up full blast to get the full effect.

I give this thread one out of five stars. 😁

My Epic Flash arrives today via UPS. Don't make me do a video...

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My Epic Flash arrives today via UPS. Don't make me do a video...

Please do. That would be epic!  :-P

7 minutes ago, klineka said:

Wondering if Emeril Lagasse could provide me with the correct video angles for smacking a baked potato?  And what effect sour cream, butter, green onions, cheese and bacon bits would have on the sound?

Had a baked potato for dinner last night.

All I could think about was hitting the damn thing with a golf club.

14 minutes ago, klineka said:

This will give new meaning to angle of attack (AoA) and Potato Speed.