30 posts / 1906 viewsLast Reply

I’m sitting here watching “Morning Drive” at the PGA merch show.  They are talking with the Adidas guy and the sketchers guy.  Am I missing something here with golf shoe tech?

I don’t get it, maybe it’s me.  I just want comfort and  waterproof with replaceable spikes.  Weight? It’s not like there is a big difference from one to the other. I’m walking and hitting a golf ball.  I don’t need sketchers putting Hot Melt in the toe blah blah blah.

Watching this reminds me of the old western movies with snake oil salesmen.  My foot joys I had for 4 years started to leak last year so I bought a pair of Nikes at Marshall’s.  I walk the same, shoot the same scores... should I expect some kind of magic with a $250 pair?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 minute ago, Typhoon92 said:

should I expect some kind of magic with a $250 pair?

Sure hope not. 

Not going to be spending $250 to replace my dilapidated Adizero shoes, but would truly hate to think I was missing some magic.

I need all the magic I can get.

I'm like you.   I just want something comfortable and waterproof.   If I can get that with a pair of Footjoys or any other brand, I'm good.   I don't have brand loyalty.

I find that the varying weight of shoes makes a big difference. I'm a Nike fan myself.

How much weight difference is there.  I know if I put on a pair of old school metal spiked foot joys and then slipped on a pair of Knit Adidas I’d tell right away.  

Todays shoes it seems like it’s a couple ounces here and there is all and I don’t really notice.  So when you play do you get physically tired because your shoes weigh so much?

I don’t have much brand loyalty on shoes either.  I’ll also pay attention to what they look like.  Eccos I can’t do, they look like orthopedic shoes, sketchers and new balance just aren’t golf for me.  I usually look to find a pair of adidas, Nike,puma or Tiger.  And I’m looking at closeouts

38 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

Todays shoes it seems like it’s a couple ounces here and there is all and I don’t really notice.  So when you play do you get physically tired because your shoes weigh so much?

For the most part, I agree with you. But this summer I was walking 18 holes twice per week and 9 holes three or four times, and at that point, it definitely made a difference when I switched to better, lighter shoes.

For me, heavy shoes are not so much of an issue.  Yes, they will tire you out more, but they are sometimes more stable.  The most important thing you need is to ensure it is comfortable.  You are on your feet for a long time and at the end of the day your legs will hurt if it isn't as comfortable as possible.

I think fit has a lot to do with it, and every brand is a little idiosyncratic. Foot Joys have always fit me well. At last year's golf shop tent sale, I ran into my buddy who was looking for shoes. Every pair of Foot Joys he tried on, would give him "heel slip". He finally found a pair of Nike's or Adidas that didn't do that. 

And good waterproofing is a must! I've had FootJoy shoes with a 1 year guarantee last 4 years completely dry! I like that!

On 1/25/2020 at 2:20 AM, Buckeyebowman said:

I think fit has a lot to do with it, and every brand is a little idiosyncratic. Foot Joys have always fit me well. At last year's golf shop tent sale, I ran into my buddy who was looking for shoes. Every pair of Foot Joys he tried on, would give him "heel slip". He finally found a pair of Nike's or Adidas that didn't do that. 

And good waterproofing is a must! I've had FootJoy shoes with a 1 year guarantee last 4 years completely dry! I like that!

When it’s really wet and especially a bit muddy underfoot I still use a 15 year old pair of Footjoy Dryjoys. Still waterproof....

I ride a cart when I play so walking is no big deal. I don't know how many years I have had my footjoy shoes but they fit great, feel good, look OK. When I finally breakdown and buy another pair of shoes I'll buy footjoys out of Dicks for around $50 to $75, I would never pay $250 for a pair of shoes. IMO it is all marketing BS.

And I want changeable spikes.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:20 AM, Typhoon92 said:

How much weight difference is there.

You can tell. The TRUE Knits versus, I dunno, a random Adidas pair of plastic spike shoes?

You can tell, and it matters.

Hard to find soft leather waterproof shoes in a classic style for a reasonable price. Wouldn’t pay good money for vinyl or cloth shoes. Ethnic loofa like the best deal out there

Not to keep harping on this, but I have owned a fair share of golf shoes. If you want quality, comfort and balance in your golf swing, there really is no better choice than True. 

The old adage you get what you pay for. Nike lasts maybe a season, Adidas comfort is an issue and Ecco are nice but the euro sizing did not work for me. I tossed them after mid season. 

35 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Nike lasts maybe a season

Says who?  Still rockin' TW13 here.  It's just like with running--you gotta rotate your shoes.  I try to play black shoes, white shoes, and brown shoes and rotate them.  Sometimes i might even treat myself and get a grey pair.

What do you guys think of spike-less shoes?

The old shoes I have certainly lose spikes after a while, but I've never tried to play in spike-less before.

I bought the Jordan spieth under armour. They're little heavier than my other shoes. The give me more stability. The only issue is I feel tired with this ones after 9 holes. I paid 40 dollars at Ross and the original price was 200 

I have the classic footjoy $45 in black Friday at galaxy golf. They're excellent.

And I paid $20 for Adidas in the outlet store and $20 Nike at Burlington.