IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

1 hour ago, iacas said:

He prolly thinks or knows the hassle is not worth the payout if they get one at all.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

USATSI_18970216.jpg?w=640

Two weeks ago, Greg Norman said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments.

So LIV is going to pay to get broadcast time for their league. I guess all the interest in the LIV product broadcast rights that Greg Norman talked about was BS.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I was coming to post that article. I thought this was interesting:

LIV will also be responsible for the production of its tournament broadcasts and for selling commercial sponsorships during its time slots, two tasks that would usually fall to a broadcast partner.

“Any advertiser who touches this will get blasted,” a longtime sports TV executive said. “It’s a weak product but it’s a tainted product on top of that.”

Is LIV going to bother selling commercials at all? If so, are we going to be treated to a bunch of MyPillow commercials? Maybe 1-800-cars-for-kids?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

31 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Is LIV going to bother selling commercials at all? If so, are we going to be treated to a bunch of MyPillow commercials? Maybe 1-800-cars-for-kids?

It’ll be this over and over:

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Geez Phil, shave the stubble.
8F714247-B816-4418-9D89-12DB5A34C2D3.jpeg

You’re starting to look like this guy.

07F86B9F-4AB6-434B-893F-0DD1F8D0E8F4.jpeg

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I guess all the interest in the LIV product broadcast rights that Greg Norman talked about was BS.

It seems that is turning into the "norm".

• Funny 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It’ll be this over and over:

Well, this explains everything. Greg is doing what ever he can to get us to remember him for something ... anything, other than blowing the lead in the Masters AND this commercial. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

And it wasn't just Phil who withdrew:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I stopped following after the 5th bullet point on Day 1 of the "finale". Doesn't matter because I'm not going to watch anyways.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

15 hours ago, Darkfrog said:
USATSI_18970216.jpg?w=640

Two weeks ago, Greg Norman said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments.

So LIV is going to pay to get broadcast time for their league. I guess all the interest in the LIV product broadcast rights that Greg Norman talked about was BS.

Yeah, although there are some conflicting things said via the Twitteratti experts.   Mainly the two camps are:

1 -  It shows how there is not a lot of interest. (one person quoted an "unnamed exec" with "it's not an interesting product and it's tarnished as well.   No sponsors are going to touch it".   Maybe a few that don't care?

2 -  Any sports league would be doing this early on until more interest catches on.  Hence this is a good move since if they can deliver ratings like LIV/Norman thinks they can, it'll help them.

Personally I am in the first camp.   I think for all the money thrown at this, there is too much controversy and I'm not surprised that Fox Sports would be the only contender since they don't have any existing golf.  I wonder if they will run a disclaimer before it, or something.   The following media companies have relationships with the PGA Tour:

Major networks. -  CBS/NBC and ABC (through Disney/ESPN)

Golf Channel seems very pro-PGAT and they are owned by the same company as NBC (Comcast).  I mean something like TBS or another channel could do it, but I'm not sure that random cable networks are set to do that.   Even though most of them are owned by major media companies.   Warner Discovery and it's subsidiaries have TBS which has done sports and they also have a sports group but nothing golf that I see.   So you have to risk onboarding something that seems like it might not be around in a few years.   Paramount/Viacom is owned of CBS so that is kind of out as well.  

On the streaming front, Amazon and Apple passed.   Not sure why exactly, but they probably don't want to risk it either given the source of the money and the reaction a lot of people have to it.  Hulu is part of Disney.  

There is some valid argument for the second camp, that any upstart rival would do this.   Someone quotes the Ryder Cup as having to purchase time as late as 1989.   But I think today's world is very different.   With all the competing media companies and the money thrown at streaming, there is a lot more likelihood that someone would take a chance if it was such a great product.   How many viewing options were there in the quoted 1989 time frame.  Basic cable was around, but no streaming and the 3 big networks ruled everything for the most part.   I think it really says something that in what is a golden age of content (quality and quantity) that almost everyone passed on it.  And then that LIV had to pay to put it on the air.   Maybe it's a co-production?  Who knows?

—Adam

16 hours ago, DeadMan said:

• Funny 3

—Adam

7 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

I have bought that more than once for white elephant exchanges. I have also received it, so I guess the joke is on me.

If they bring back the Hammer X commercial, then I might actually tune in.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

23 hours ago, iacas said:

And it wasn't just Phil who withdrew:

With this weird format for a "championship" all they are missing is a good ole 80's style WWF championship belt.
Might as well swerve the clown car away from legitimacy.
maybe the can start putting obstacles on the course like they did in Caddyshack 2 !!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• Administrator
USATSI_19118199-1024x683.jpg

The PGA Tour countersued LIV Golf late Wednesday night in the latest legal volley between the two organizations as they struggle over golf’s future. The PGA Tour accused the Saudi-backed LIV Golf of tortiously...

https://www.si.com/golf/news/pga-tour-countersues-liv-golf

Most of the counterclaim is based on the PGA Tour assertion that LIV was a willing participant in convincing players to breach their contracts with the Tour by paying them large sums of money.

Those breaches by the players are the substance of the counterclaim by the Tour, which is asking for damages because of LIV’s tortious interference with the Tour’s contracts, including any lost profits, damages to reputational and brand harm, plus costs and punitive damages the Tour suffered by LIV’s actions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Oh boy…

TELEMMGLPICT000309834218_trans_NvBQzQNjv

A 'strategic alliance' with the obscure MENA Tour means that rebel players have a pathway back into the majors
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unbelievably, I am already aware of this tour! My friends son has played  a couple of events. Anyhoo the current leader of the Mena Tour money list is currently about 570 in OWGR, so even Pat Perez might make the cut.

• Funny 1

Stevie T

• Administrator
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrator
  1. They misspelled Koepka's last name in the description. (I understand it's autocorrect, but… c'mon guys.)
  2. The first thing Brooks says is "I just hate when you sit on the fence. Pick a side." Ummmm, huh? What are they being told that he'd say that? Seems pretty clear to me the OWGR has "picked a side." They said "no."
  3. Bryson "We've hit every mark in their criteria." Ummmm, name them? And what marks have you hit? You've been around for a year? No. You have cuts? No. Clear path to qualification? No. So what marks have you hit?

I lost interest when the translator had to speak for two minutes straight after that. 😉

It seems somewhat clear that the players were told OWGR points would be there for them pretty soon. Did they believe the Asian Tour stuff was their immediate way in, and now that it seems to be failing, or the Asian Tour isn't playing ball, that this MENA play was going to work?

I also think the likelihood of OWGR points being assigned retroactively are slimmer than they seem to think, though I suppose since they're *points* it would only really affect the LIV player *points*. Doing it after any tournaments that awards player entry based on their ranking (top 50, top 100, whatever) though feels… funny. That affects players outside of LIV.

• Thumbs Up 1