IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

Greg Norman, in memo to players, claims that PGAT cannot ban players from the PGAT who participate  in SGL. Without arguing that the PGAT can or cannot ban players, why would the players want to play both tours?  I thought the SGL players would become so rich that they wouldn’t miss the paltry amounts that the PGAT events paid out?  Of course, it’s easy for the Norman to make the claim, it won’t affect him if a ban is held-up in court.

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

I certainly don’t know what goes on behind the scenes with any of this. But as someone else said I don’t see any of these alternative leagues being appealing for all the young guys and/kids who have dreamed of playing on the PGA TOUR. Many, many players have made an outstanding career and life through this tour that Phil has bad mouthed including himself. 
I wouldn’t take much of what any ‘end of career on the PGA Tour’ guys ( Phil) whine about. They have a lot less to worry about having financial solidarity. Like Erik said, Phil was good for golf, he’s not anymore. And Hoffman? Really? I think I’ll still watch a tournament if he’s not playing. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, hunterdog said:

why would the players want to play both tours?

I see two potential reasons.  One, there's no telling how the Majors will handle players who only play on the "other" tour, whatever it might be.  If a player wants to get into the Masters, or get into one of the Opens with going through qualifying, they may NEED to play on one of the established tours.

Second, there's no guarantee that the new tour will last.  If there's a lifetime ban, and the "other" tour folds after a couple of years, where are those players going to play?  A player may not want to play both tours now, but he may NEED to get back onto the PGA Tour later.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

16 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

Freddy Couples

Mickelson can be the honorary starter at the Dumpster Fire Dubai Open, brought to you by Depends. 

What about Bubba Watson? Jose Maria Olazabal?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 2/23/2022 at 10:41 AM, hunterdog said:

I would like to see a press conference with Greg Norman and how he can respond to Phil's criticisms of the Saudis; "scary m....f......", executed Khashoggi, policies of executing gays, and only using the Saudis as leverage against the PGAT. 

I have to wonder what the Saudis are thinking about Phil admitting that he was intentionally playing them. I wouldn't be travelling anywhere in that part of the world if I were Phil. 

Bill M

53 minutes ago, phan52 said:

I have to wonder what the Saudis are thinking about Phil admitting that he was intentionally playing them.

He did sorta say the quiet part out loud didn't he.  But basically I assume at these levels and with the amount of money involved, everybody pretty much figures everybody's playing/getting played. Without getting too deep, no matter how it all ends, that's a lot of money for playing golf!!

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

2 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

For me their resumes are too thin.  Not remotely on a par with starters from the past.  Neither of them was ever considered the best player in the world for even a brief moment.  Which is not the case with Vijay, Faldo or Rory.  Ernie Els would be a possibility except he, like Rory, has not won a Masters.

Edited by turtleback

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
GettyImages-1368000699.jpg

Greg Norman sent a letter to PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan Thursday, threatening lawsuits if the Tour bans players who play elsewhere.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wow, is there any way the LIV tour comes out of this looking good at this point?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Wow, is there any way the LIV tour comes out of this looking good at this point?

Well, they may be accurate that the PGA Tour can't ban players.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well, they may be accurate that the PGA Tour can't ban players.

Yeah, more just the tone of the letter seemed a little jerk-ish. The legal stuff is well beyond anything I am qualified to speculate about. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

14 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Yeah, more just the tone of the letter seemed a little jerk-ish. The legal stuff is well beyond anything I am qualified to speculate about. 

Well Greggy is a jerk, so that fits.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

IMO, commissioner’s threat makes him look like the desperate jealous girlfriend…that doesn’t mean the LIV looks good though

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Dear Greg: 

I doubt that Jay Monahan, and the Tour’s lawyers, are terribly worried about your threatening letter.  Citing an Opinion piece written by a Heritage Foundation lawyer (that was probably paid for by LIV, the Saudis, yourself, or Mickelson and his cohorts) just looks cheap and attention seeking.  With all the money you gave at your disposal, this letter is unbecoming. 

The Tour is not, in anyway, stopping you and those “scary mo…f….” from having the Saudi League.  The Tour is simply stating that participants in its Tour are not allowed to join other Tours and, thereby, diminishing its product.  I am not even sure how you can argue that the “scary mo…f…s” that you work for are put at a disadvantage with all that cash you and Phil are claiming is out there, ripe for the picking.

Greg, it’s time to put on a shirt, put on some big boy pants, start your league and then if, and only if, players are banned, start your lawsuit and let’s see what real lawyers do and say.

Cheers Mate!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

20 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Olazabal would be great.   I was never a Bubba fan, but yeah.  I think Freddy is just so smooth and his play there has been great thru the years that he’d be a good choice.

Just read Norman’s letter.  Him and Phil should stop with this “it’s for the players”.   If it was for the players you’d be spending a lot less time and Saudi money fighting in public about this.   These guys want boatloads of money and won’t be honest about it.   Just say it d-bags.   Norman is such a jerk at this point.   I think SNL was right.  Change his nickname to The Guppy.

• Funny 1

—Adam

• Administrator
Mickelson-Preview.jpg

Condemning the Saudi golf league doesn’t mean letting up on the PGA Tour

• Administrator

Wow.

That tweet was deleted in favor of two tweets with text:

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, his "apology" seemed to be more of an apology to the Saudis than anything else.  It certainly wasn't an apology to the tour.

Phil and Greg deserve each other -- they are 2 peas in a pod.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only