IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

Butch H is being funny. 

PGA Tour players do not need to thank LIV. Its not like LIV had set out to enrich the PGAT purses. They couldn't help it and are not definitely not cheering the increases. If anything they would rather PGAT treat it's players like shit.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Oy.

Double oy.

Golfers on a Team?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's like watching the Liberty tax guy jumping up and down on the sidewalk to attract customers who can't/won't do a simple 1040.

Even if we ignore the Saudi connection for a moment, I still don't see the attraction beyond what one would afford mildly glorified silly season golf. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Louder. Better. Faster. Shorter.

What the f%&# does that even mean?

I had to go back 10 seconds a bunch of times to see who was playing guitar with their driver. It was Bryson, and totally dumb.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Of all the Golfers to go to LIV, I am surprised by Bubba going. 
From what little I have read, combined with News stories, I know he has his religion, he is pious and puts work toward charity.
I would have thought that the actions of the backers would not jive with the gospels he reads.
But I guess Jebus wants him to get money from people who have horrible human rights record. Or play at courses owned by someone who could be considered blasphemous and does not follow the teachings which Bubba holds so dear!

• Thumbs Up 3

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

27 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I would have thought that the actions of the backers would not jive with the gospels he reads.
But I guess Jebus wants him to get money from people who have horrible human rights record. Or play at courses owned by someone who could be considered blasphemous and does not follow the teachings which Bubba holds so dear!

The word duplicitous comes to mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

LIV Golf lawyers admit tour generated ‘virtually zero’ revenue in first season

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/feb/07/liv-golf-lawyers-admit-tour-generated-virtually-zero-revenue-in-first-season

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
Just now, turtleback said:

No surprise. They gave away tickets. And spent a shitload of money. Broadcast without commercials on YouTube. I don't even know where they would have had any revenue: a little bit of merchandise sales at events?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Oy.

Double oy.

Golfers on a Team?

So. Stupid.

7 hours ago, Elmer said:

Of all the Golfers to go to LIV, I am surprised by Bubba going. 
From what little I have read, combined with News stories, I know he has his religion, he is pious and puts work toward charity.

As a former big Bubba fan, this was highly surprising and disappointing to me. Shameful

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

16 hours ago, iacas said:

How do you figure?

The middle class on the PGA Tour stand to make even more.

Did they not guarantee a salary floor? I thought that was part of the deal.

"Witty golf quote."

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Did they not guarantee a salary floor? I thought that was part of the deal.

They give players $500k, but that comes out of their earnings, and it would have affected almost nobody. Literally a handful or something. Even the bottom players on the PGA Tour earn a good amount of prize money.

You didn't explain how the middle class on the PGA Tour is being squeezed. I don't think they are — look at how many of them are getting to play in the "Designated" event this week in Phoenix.

Why should sports have a guarantee? Golf is individual you earn on the course your worth. What you do with sponsor money is a different thing. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

1 hour ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Why should sports have a guarantee? Golf is individual you earn on the course your worth. What you do with sponsor money is a different thing. 

Welp, commitment is a two way street. If not, then on principle everyone should be a true freelancer and then they shouldn't (not saying they can't)  'ban' them for choosing alternative means of earning - LIV or elsewhere. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Why should sports have a guarantee?

Tons of sports have guarantees. NHL contracts are fully guaranteed. Etc.

I can see the argument that if you qualified for the PGA Tour, you should get perhaps a "base" salary. What they're doing now where it's basically an advance against your future earnings is the least they could have done short of doing nothing at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Tons of sports have guarantees. NHL contracts are fully guaranteed. Etc.

Yes, although there is a subtle difference between a minimum guaranteed salary and a guaranteed contract. NHL, MLB, NBA players usually get guaranteed contracts so they will get the total amount they sign for regardless if they're cut/injured/etc. NFL players get a minimum guaranteed salary, but no guaranteed contracts (except for some lucky few). It's amazing to me that NFL players can't get enough leverage to demand guaranteed contracts, considering how short their careers are.

Will be interesting to see if in the future, LIV (or a future upstart leagues) might force the PGA Tour to start offering guaranteed contracts to those players that qualify in order to keep young talent on the PGA tour. Doubtful in the near future, but you never know.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:58 PM, iacas said:

They give players $500k, but that comes out of their earnings, and it would have affected almost nobody. Literally a handful or something. Even the bottom players on the PGA Tour earn a good amount of prize money.

You didn't explain how the middle class on the PGA Tour is being squeezed. I don't think they are — look at how many of them are getting to play in the "Designated" event this week in Phoenix.

I'll have to find it, but I read an article by one of these golf insiders who did some back testing on how the purses would be distributed and estimated that the golfers in the range of like 100-150 would actually earn less. Something like 60-100 about break even. Top 60 more. I'll see if I can find it but it was awhile ago and I do not remember who wrote the article or blog post at all.

"Witty golf quote."

Are the liv golfers now playing on the Asian tour in between the season starting? Asian Tour, Saudi tournaments, majors and Liv. Sounds like a lot of golf all over the world. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear: