IGNORED

Charlie Rymer Says "No Tee Times!"

iacas
Note: This thread is 1520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tee Times Poll  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Tee Times

3 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

I want to agree with Charlie, but I can't.  When I put together a foursome, everybody to their own, we want to arrive with our personal allotment of warm up range time, putting time, chit chat time and the last minute take-a-pee time.  Like magic we're all on the 1st tee with a minute to spare.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

15 hours ago, geo63 said:

A while back I was telling my neighbor about those tubes. He couldn't believe it. 

Back then I played most of my golf at Tamer Win. Always just showed up. If the lot was full we headed to Northwood or another course that wasn't crowded. 

I'm well aware of Tamer Win, play there several times a year, but have never heard of Northwood! Is it still in existence?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was fortunate to grow up at the club with "no tee times" and it worked basically like @vonbonds described at his place. Where I was in San Diego and now in Vegas, you have to make tee times. I get the frustration of having to make times but the private club has changed in the last decade or so with more ClubCorp/TPC/Troon clubs and fewer equity options. The higher end (less members) should strive and maintain a "no tee time" policy but for most private clubs it's going to be tough because they have to accommodate more than 30 rounds a day.

Not really sure the point of Rymer's tweet.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

While not a member, I have occasional access to one of the local private clubs.  I love to play it because it reminds me I'm not as good as I think I am.  I always get a reservation there.  95% of the time, when I arrived, having a reservation wouldn't have mattered.  Early afternoon on a weekday makes a big difference. But then, I'm in the middle of Iowa and I suppose that might make a little bit of difference.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I have been to a number of clubs (with a tee time) and ended up waiting 20-30 minutes. I am a member at a private club and we have tee times. It seems to work well enough but our club also has 27 holes so you have other options if the first tee is packed. Usually you can jump in on another 9 and then get out on the first 9 when you turn (usually slower at that point). As a matter of fact, it seems like most people at our club just sorta work it out on the other tees. Don't cut in front of anyone and your good. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I don't know who Charlie Rymer is but his quote sounds like something an effete snob (to coin an old, old phrase) would say, someone who has spent his entire life at a country club and never tried to play at a public golf course.A dope.

I realize he's talking about "private golf", but he's still a dope because even at private clubs there are regular foursomes who have played together for years and so for the new member who's not part of a regular group struggling to squeeze in 9 holes after work, what's he supposed to do?

Edited by xrayvizhen
  • Like 1

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

23 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

I don't know who Charlie Rymer is but his quote sounds like something an effete snob (to coin an old, old phrase) would say, someone who has spent his entire life at a country club and never tried to play at a public golf course.

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

The higher end (less members) should strive and maintain a "no tee time" policy but for most private clubs it's going to be tough because they have to accommodate more than 30 rounds a day.

you two, I believe, nailed it.  He's talking about very exclusive clubs with very low membership density.  Then you just act like the owner and play whenever and however you wish.  It's a bit clueless for anything other than the most excluding of privates.  Pretty much wallowing is what 'ordinary' people consider the worst stereotype of golf.  Or he's in a typical private and wishes it had fewer members so he can have an elite experience instead of what his club offers....

Bill - 

On 1/26/2020 at 10:29 PM, iacas said:

It can work at a minority of clubs. Not at most.

Totally agree.  I know of only a couple of clubs where tee times are a rarity.  The vast majority, the same groups generally always play at certain times of the day and reserving tee times is a necessity.  Now, the club I belong to...most days if you just show up after 1pm...you can get out on the course within 15 or 20 minutes or so either by yourself of wait to go out with someone else.  Same cannot be said before noon.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

you two, I believe, nailed it.  He's talking about very exclusive clubs with very low membership density.  Then you just act like the owner and play whenever and however you wish.  It's a bit clueless for anything other than the most excluding of privates.  Pretty much wallowing is what 'ordinary' people consider the worst stereotype of golf.  Or he's in a typical private and wishes it had fewer members so he can have an elite experience instead of what his club offers....

Exactly.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 10.48.47 AM.png

No one understands the struggles of rich white men.

Edited by krupa

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

That would be so awsome to spend 10's of thousands of dollars to belong to a Private club just so you can get there at 9:30am and wait till 1:30pm when it your turn to golf.  

Seriously, though.  if your club is exclusive that tee times are not necessary, than you'll pretty much be able to walk on whenever you want, whether you have a tee time or not.   If your club is more crowded than that, tee times are obviously necessary. 

Edited by lastings
  • Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

2 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Pretty much wallowing is what 'ordinary' people consider the worst stereotype of golf.  Or he's in a typical private and wishes it had fewer members so he can have an elite experience instead of what his club offers....

Image result for caddyshackImage result for caddyshack

• Upvote 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

My 2 cents...

If you spend $10k at a private club with no tee times, expect to wait...unless you are a complete idiot, you know what “first come, first served” means.  Back in the 1970’s I was a caddy at a private club.  There were no tee times and you’d see guys putting and talking and saying “we’ll go out after you guys”. And you’d also overhear someone say “well Jimmys group is going after us, why don’t you follow them”...  Never heard any bitching.

The world has changed, everyone wants immediate gratification, everyone is on a tight schedule, everyone thinks they are important so there are tee times.

i am one who dislikes them.  I like the spontaneous round of golf.

1 hour ago, krupa said:

Exactly.

No one understands the struggles of rich white men.

LMAO...……  #2 - If I have a private aircraft, I own it, no one else if going to "book" my private aircraft....  Sounds like a High handicapper when trying to use logic...…. 

19 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

My 2 cents...

If you spend $10k at a private club with no tee times, expect to wait...unless you are a complete idiot, you know what “first come, first served” means.  Back in the 1970’s I was a caddy at a private club.  There were no tee times and you’d see guys putting and talking and saying “we’ll go out after you guys”. And you’d also overhear someone say “well Jimmys group is going after us, why don’t you follow them”...  Never heard any bitching.

The world has changed, everyone wants immediate gratification, everyone is on a tight schedule, everyone thinks they are important so there are tee times.

Nobody is forcing anyone to make a tee time. If you like "spontaneous" golf, you're more than welcome to "just show up." 

There will be a riot at my club if there are no tee times! We usually don’t need a tee time to play during the afternoon - I usually just show up and can get on immediately because it is always slow during the afternoon. But not for mornings.

There is a public course near me that will make tee times, but I never ever get to play at my assigned time. Somehow they make you checkin at the proshop and then send you over to the starter, who has complete control over who gets to go out when, regardless of your tee time. It is the most annoying thing ever!

There is a city course that I want to play at, but they have no tee times. I haven’t played there yet because I don’t want to wait around for my turn, and who knows how long that will take! I got other things to do...

56 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to make a tee time. If you like "spontaneous" golf, you're more than welcome to "just show up." 

At some clubs.  I’ve run into both. It’s a shame because I used to play a lot of different courses.  Now I just play the same place all the time.

Edited by Typhoon92

2 hours ago, krupa said:

Exactly.

Ok, I’ve now moved from simply disagreeing with him to firmly believing that he’s a moron.

The obvious response to this nonsense is to ask “How would you like to have a private aircraft and call up a Friday night to fly Saturday morning and the pilot says sure, show up and we’ll get to you whenever we can fit you in.  You’ll probably get out sometime Saturday morning.  Probably...”

:doh:

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

Spontaneous to me is a buddy who calls unexpectedly on Tuesday afternoon and says “hey, it’s too nice to work, let’s go play golf!”  We check the sheet.  Take an available time, and meet on the first tee.

Not driving to the course expecting to play and hoping to get out...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!