IGNORED

Lost and Found Items on the Course

This is not about our swings, ha ha!

Its about what you lost and what you’ve found on the Course.  At onetime or another we find head covers, rangefinders and more. I guess the expectation is that if you lost something people would turn it in at the course.  Most of the time if you or someone lost something you would either go back a hole and ask if someone found whatever you lost or ask the Marshall for help.

What’s  the most common or bizarre items you’ve Lost or Found?  For me it’s usually a head cover.  The most bizarre was a guy asking for a shoe. Have you seen my shoe he asked! I said no, but to have fun I asked what size is it?  Had a friend lose his rangefinder.  Couldn’t believe no one would turn it in.

What have you lost or found?

Several years ago I (we)  found a wallet/passport with several hundred dollars in it. It also also had a room key card in it. The guy apparently was a German tourist visiting Vegas. 

We drove a head several holes or so, stopping at each person we found asking for a certain person's name. 

About 5 holes up we yelled out the name we were looking for.  A guy answered back, and his face matched the passport picture. He also answered the hotel question correctly. 

Gave his property back to him much to his delight. He was especially pleased that all his money, and credit cards were still there. 

He gave us a $50 bill and told us lunch was on him. Worked out well for all of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have found a bunch of clubs, head covers, towels, one wallet and a bunch of wrappers, score cards, paper towels and other unpleasant things flying out of carts, and except for the latter items, turned everything in or found their owner a few holes ahead.

I did leave a rangefinder in a cart after a round, and the course claimed they never found it, meaning the cart guy took it. I lost a club once at Poppy Hills and drove back the 50 miles or so each way to get it back a few days later...

1 hour ago, sjduffers said:

I have found a bunch of clubs, head covers, towels, one wallet and a bunch of wrappers, score cards, paper towels and other unpleasant things flying out of carts, and except for the latter items, turned everything in or found their owner a few holes ahead.

I did leave a rangefinder in a cart after a round, and the course claimed they never found it, meaning the cart guy took it. I lost a club once at Poppy Hills and drove back the 50 miles or so each way to get it back a few days later...

The easiest thing to leave behind playing cart golf is a wedge or two.  You never get those back unless they are crappy wedges.  Vokeys... forget about it. 

I've found any number of things, but the most useful thing I ever found was a golf towel! It is the thickest, most effective golf towel I've ever owned. When I saw it in the rough off to the right side of the 18th tee of the local course that I was playing, I had some doubts! I flipped it over with a club, and it didn't seem bad. I had to wonder whether somebody had to take a crap, and wipe their butt with it! 

I took it home, let it dry out, and then laundered it! It's been on my golf bag since then!  It's from some resort in southern Florida. Best golf towel I've every owned! 

Once I found a Taylormade 3 wood in bushes.  Apparently the guy got so angry he threw it into the bushes.  

I eventually found the owner, but he didn't want it back as he said it has been nothing but trouble. 

21 hours ago, Patch said:

Several years ago I (we)  found a wallet/passport with several hundred dollars in it. It also also had a room key card in it. The guy apparently was a German tourist visiting Vegas. 

We drove a head several holes or so, stopping at each person we found asking for a certain person's name. 

About 5 holes up we yelled out the name we were looking for.  A guy answered back, and his face matched the passport picture. He also answered the hotel question correctly. 

Gave his property back to him much to his delight. He was especially pleased that all his money, and credit cards were still there. 

He gave us a $50 bill and told us lunch was on him. Worked out well for all of us. 

Nice of you to go out of your way like that versus just turning it in to the pro shop. Good to hear stories like that.

I have found all of the above, except a tooth and a wallet. I mostly find putter head covers around a green, along with a wedge or two. I lent a friend of mine a Ping putter one time, he lost the head cover, pissed me off. I wrote to Ping, they sent me a new one at no cost, nice of them. Needless to say I don't lend clubs anymore.

I take my putter head cover off before each round, my Bag Boy cart bag has a separate compartment for the putter so it doesn't bang against my other clubs.

In addition to found clubs, lasers and golf equipment, I have a couple of slightly more unusual finds:

• I am standing around the 1st tee thinking about playing.  I notice something kind of pink laying in the long grass and go over to inspect.  It is someone's dental retainer.  After overcoming the "eewww" factor I took it to the clubhouse.  The woman running the clubhouse said, "Oh, I know whose that is ... he has lost it before."
  • Another day I am on the 11th hole and I found a set of keys.  The 12th green is near the clubhouse so after playing #12, I walked over to the parking lot and pushed the "panic button".  The noise was coming from the back of the lot so I shut it off and walked back.  A guy was sitting on his car's rear hatch changing his shoes.  I asked him if he noticed which car was making the noise.  "Yes, it was mine."  He had taken a taxi home to get his spare set of keys.  I gave him his keys back.
  • I am walking down the fairway and see a small bottle.  It is a prescription for diabetes. I picked it up and figured I would turn it in when I was close to the clubhouse.  Play on the course slowed down and I caught a 2 ball that was ahead of me and joined them,  One of the guys was heavy and not in great shape.  After a hole or two I asked him if maybe the medicine was his.  Yep!  He had noticed it was missing and was going to have to quit after 9 holes to get a replacement.  We finished the round together instead.
  • Like 1

I have found clubs and other equipment many times and have always turned them in. As far as something I lost I have a nice story about Myrtle Beach. I was playing Tidewater and I hit a wayward drive into a wooded area. I parked the cart nearby and took in two clubs, a four iron in case I had to chip out and  seven iron in case I had a shot. I had no shot so I rested the seven iron onto a tree and chipped out, and I walked back to the cart leaving behind the seven iron. I didn't notice until the next day when we were at another club. I had a label with my name and home club on all my clubs, so I called over to see if the seven was turned in and and was told, no. Lesson learned. A week later I was home and was going to ask the pro to order me another seven iron, when instead he handed me my original one. It turns out that it was eventually turned in and the pro shop at Tidewater Fedexed it to my club. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, phan52 said:

I have found clubs and other equipment many times and have always turned them in. As far as something I lost I have a nice story about Myrtle Beach. I was playing Tidewater and I hit a wayward drive into a wooded area. I parked the cart nearby and took in two clubs, a four iron in case I had to chip out and  seven iron in case I had a shot. I had no shot so I rested the seven iron onto a tree and chipped out, and I walked back to the cart leaving behind the seven iron. I didn't notice until the next day when we were at another club. I had a label with my name and home club on all my clubs, so I called over to see if the seven was turned in and and was told, no. Lesson learned. A week later I was home and was going to ask the pro to order me another seven iron, when instead he handed me my original one. It turns out that it was eventually turned in and the pro shop at Tidewater Fedexed it to my club. 

I hope you called them and effusively thanked them... and gave them a great Yelp review.

3 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

In addition to found clubs, lasers and golf equipment, I have a couple of slightly more unusual finds:

• I am standing around the 1st tee thinking about playing.  I notice something kind of pink laying in the long grass and go over to inspect.  It is someone's dental retainer.  After overcoming the "eewww" factor I took it to the clubhouse.  The woman running the clubhouse said, "Oh, I know whose that is ... he has lost it before."
  • Another day I am on the 11th hole and I found a set of keys.  The 12th green is near the clubhouse so after playing #12, I walked over to the parking lot and pushed the "panic button".  The noise was coming from the back of the lot so I shut it off and walked back.  A guy was sitting on his car's rear hatch changing his shoes.  I asked him if he noticed which car was making the noise.  "Yes, it was mine."  He had taken a taxi home to get his spare set of keys.  I gave him his keys back.
  • I am walking down the fairway and see a small bottle.  It is a prescription for diabetes. I picked it up and figured I would turn it in when I was close to the clubhouse.  Play on the course slowed down and I caught a 2 ball that was ahead of me and joined them,  One of the guys was heavy and not in great shape.  After a hole or two I asked him if maybe the medicine was his.  Yep!  He had noticed it was missing and was going to have to quit after 9 holes to get a replacement.  We finished the round together instead.

Those are some good stories!

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I hope you called them and effusively thanked them... and gave them a great Yelp review.

I called AND wrote. It was long before Yelp or anything like it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phan52 said:

I called AND wrote. It was long before Yelp or anything like it.

Good job.  I always believe praise for those who do well is much deserved... honest praise, not participation trophies...