IGNORED

Judge Orders Homeowner to Remove 65 Foot Nets

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And I thought good fences make good neighbors. Wouldn’t a roof like netting at 15 feet high be more effective? Maybe guy put it up to make a point. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

And I thought good fences make good neighbors.

Good fences 😉

This is a hideous 65’ tall monstrosity that he erected without permits that violates zoning laws.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

Good fences 😉

This is a hideous 65’ tall monstrosity that he erected without permits that violates zoning laws.

Sort of in line with this, I was recently told about the potential for a home owner to have a right to their view at the time the property was purchased.  At first, I thought that it was BS, but I guess view ordinances as they are called, exist. It is up to a city, though, to adopt one, mostly for homes that have views of a lake or ocean or similar.  The course I'm at has a ton of land to cover, so to always try and trim the blackberries or alders back from around people's homes may never happen.  The person who told me about it said he had heard about the right to a view in Seattle, which makes sense, but for us not really.  In the OP's case, it's different, but if there were a view ordinance, it could effect the decision. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Good fences 😉

😁

Me looking for any excuse to quote Frost, lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Sort of in line with this, I was recently told about the potential for a home owner to have a right to their view at the time the property was purchased.  At first, I thought that it was BS, but I guess view ordinances as they are called, exist. It is up to a city, though, to adopt one, mostly for homes that have views of a lake or ocean or similar.  The course I'm at has a ton of land to cover, so to always try and trim the blackberries or alders back from around people's homes may never happen.  The person who told me about it said he had heard about the right to a view in Seattle, which makes sense, but for us not really.  In the OP's case, it's different, but if there were a view ordinance, it could effect the decision. 

Phil... you are on point on this topic.  I own a home that looks out over the bay and the islands beyond... I never take the view for granted.  I am blessed.  Beautiful sunsets every day of the year... when it's not raining.  But Bellingham has no view ordinance.  So my neighbor in front of me, who moved into her house without vegetation some years after I bought my place (and view) has decided she wants to live in "The Little House in the Woods" and has planted a forest around her house.  Her forest came to fruition last year and now I am losing some of my view.  Though reluctantly.  I am fighting back.  Definitely not a Third World problem.  But a big chunk of my property value is wrapped up in the view.  Maybe I should put up a 65' net!  And start having wild, loud parties every night.  You're invited.

57 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

😁

Me looking for any excuse to quote Frost, lol. 

Nevets... Mr. Frost actually played this frustrating game!

Robert Frost Suffers Depression after a Particularly Bad Round of Golf*

Scores rising and hopes falling fast oh fast,
On a golf course I played this weekend past.
My effort, like my game, is out of bounds.
My game’s a bag of botches first and last.

The trees and ponds have them, they are theirs.
My golf balls are smothered in their lairs.
And just when I think my game’s come around,
A double bogey takes me unawares.

And those double bogeys will be more ere they be less.
How many would be impossible to guess.
My stock and store of curse words are expended;
I can express nothing—there’s nothing to express.

I am not fooled by talk of golf’s graces,
As if it were a promised-land oasis.
No Canaan looms to redeem my doffing game.
I wander lost in its desert places.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, and this Frost poem... thinking it touches a nerve within all of us:

"My curse words rose with a dinning shout.
One chasing another going out.
I thought of doing something to the course
That sickles do to thickest gorse.
Clouds hung dark and low in the skies,
And echoed my profanities in stark reprise.
You could not tell, it seemed as if
My purpose here was to stage each whiff,
Whiff followed by whiff, and more besides.
It looked as if my inept bona fides
Were on display, not only for the day, an age.
Someone had better be prepared for rage.
There will be more than my driver broken,
Before my I’m calling it quits was spoken."

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And start having wild, loud parties every night.  You're invited.

You are next to WWU. I’m sure you could plan lots of wild, loud parties and I’ll definitely be there! I’m surprised Bham wouldn’t have view ordinances with there being a big hill there. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

The story doesn't say if he's had damage due to golf balls or is just unhappy with the number of golf balls in his yard. I would have just built a privacy fence and kept the golf balls to sell at work or garage sales.  Maybe create a mural out of them on the course-facing side so everyone can see what happens to their ProV1's when they hit a bad shot.

The club was founded in 1922 so I'll assume the homeowner knowingly (or foolishly, not knowing) moved into a house next to an existing golf course. I have no sympathy for people who move next to an existing thing (farm, airport, golf course) then bitch and moan about the situation they put themselves in.  Farms smell, airports are loud, golf balls frequently go off-course. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Im all about homeowner rights in matters of law, but the guy who built the fence simply doesn't have any standing here. He's going to lose any appeals. He could technically come to an agreement with the golf course to qualify the net as a structual "area of easement", but then it would be subject to just a different set of ordinances.

I went ahead and looked this place up on Google Earth and it looks like a really nice property. The problem is his pool is approx 208 yards right of the fairway on a dogleg left par 5. Living there you can expect every hack slicer on the planet to deposit a ball or two onto your pool house roof. I've never understood why people buy property on a golf course and then bitch about golf balls in their yard. Probably 98% of the houses on the United States aren't on a golf course, go buy one of those! I would imagine this guy isn't a golfer or he would have known this was a going to happen.

My wife and I once looked at a house on a golf course. I walked into the back yard and there were a dozen balls. I peaked over the fence and we were about 175 yards from the tee box. Told my wife nope and we left. My kids would never have been able to play outside.1570625135_ScreenShot2020-02-24at9_07_18AM.thumb.png.89f8a58854b5242b948736dc72d8f458.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Ive played that course several times. Its definitely a old money club and alot of the people that live around it are of the same kind of strata.  While i remember the hole because the scenery from the previous green to the tee box is quite nice, i dont remember noticing either the net or the house. 

41 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I went ahead and looked this place up on Google Earth and it looks like a really nice property. The problem is his pool is approx 208 yards right of the fairway on a dogleg left par 5. Living there you can expect every hack slicer on the planet to deposit a ball or two onto your pool house roof. I've never understood why people buy property on a golf course and then bitch about golf balls in their yard. Probably 98% of the houses on the United States aren't on a golf course, go buy one of those! I would imagine this guy isn't a golfer or he would have known this was a going to happen.

My wife and I once looked at a house on a golf course. I walked into the back yard and there were a dozen balls. I peaked over the fence and we were about 175 yards from the tee box. Told my wife nope and we left. My kids would never have been able to play outside.1570625135_ScreenShot2020-02-24at9_07_18AM.thumb.png.89f8a58854b5242b948736dc72d8f458.png

The takeaway here is to always buy a house on a golf course that requires a hook to infringe on your property.  A low fence should suffice for screamin' duck hooks. 😄  I have a friend who has a home on Sahalee.  You'd think he's in the safest place... 60 yards behind a green on a par 4.  But nope, he still gets thinned line drive iron shots in his yard. 

39 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The takeaway here is to always buy a house on a golf course that requires a hook to infringe on your property.  A low fence should suffice for screamin' duck hooks. 😄  I have a friend who has a home on Sahalee.  You'd think he's in the safest place... 60 yards behind a green on a par 4.  But nope, he still gets thinned line drive iron shots in his yard. 

You’d have to thin a shot pretty bad to hit it 60 yards over. Into someone’s yard, no less. 

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My father gets numerous golf balls from my Aunt who lives left of the #7 hole at Tanoan Country Club. Left is better than right, but unless you live behind the tee box you're going to get balls landing in your yard.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I do wonder what the golf course and homeowner have done to try and get a solution together prior to installing the tall net - or if the discussion was initiated poorly from the get go.  Offering to pitch in with the course to plant a few strategic trees would seem to be the most diplomatic first contact.

and this - "the quaint and environmentally friendly image"... and the direct appeal to the 'woke' members of the city council...I hate that.  What's the truss structure there - a cell tower?  a windmill?  it's look pretty industrial, seriously a net isn't that much worse.

You know what's environmentally friendly?  letting your kids get killed by a stray golf ball screaming into your pool.  I suspect the owner and the course likely started this conversation with mutual belligerance....

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I forget whose personal responsibility I'm supposed to be mad at. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 1519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!