IGNORED

Share Something Positive From This COVID-19 Mess

snapfade
Note: This thread is 1224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/6/2020 at 10:45 AM, TN94z said:

We haven't eaten out as much (had gotten into a bad habit) and saved that money.

We're doing kind of the opposite.  We're ordering takeout almost every time we think of it--we want them to stay open.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Handshakes will become a thing of the past.

I don't think so. You're not the only person saying it, but I don't see that going the way of the dodo.

Hell in European countries, they still kiss each other on the cheek. That will "become a thing of the past" before the handshake.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I don't think so. You're not the only person saying it, but I don't see that going the way of the dodo.

Probably not, but the movie Demolition Man came to mind where they great each other by raising their hand saying "I formally convey my presence." Taco Bell may be the only restaurant to survive, and the lack of toilet paper drives us to come up with other solutions.

- Shane

On 3/29/2020 at 8:27 AM, Vinsk said:

I’m glad to report that the younger population here has done a better job of not coming to the clinic for minor, self resolving issues. Much better than 2-3 weeks ago.

1. hahahaha - I'm in PA in orthopedic surgery and while a negative is that our volume is down, we are definitely seeing a reduction in those "stupid" visits.

2. We have gotten virtual appts up and running so that's a positive.

3. like others have said, more time to practice golf, more time for kids/family, more time to appreciate/refocus on the important things now that the hustle & bustle of normal life has settled down, and less eating out.  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

5 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Handshakes will become a thing of the past.

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday. She felt the same as you did. I disagreed.

We are talking about practices that have been embedded into our culture for literally hundreds of year. I don't think 3-6 months of social distancing is going to override our ingrained behaviors. But I suppose we will see..

As for positives, I have two

1. The last two weekends have been great for catching up on household projects we have been putting off. We have successfully reinforced and re-painted our kids backyard playground, put up shiplap walls in our office, re-seeded our lawn and planted a bunch of plants and succulents in the planter areas surrounding our yard. By the end of April, I may have checked off all of my yearly "honey dos"

2. I am getting back on a diet. Usually it's hard to stick with anything because I travel & entertain so frequently for work. With a moratorium on work travel, I have been pretty disciplined with eating right and moderating alcohol consumption. 

Edited by Big C

1 minute ago, Big C said:

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday. She felt the same as you did. I disagreed.

We are talking about practices that have been embedded into our culture for literally hundreds of year. I don't think 3-6 months of social distancing is going to override our ingrained behaviors. But I suppose we will see..

I think I am done, especially with the lack of toilet paper...

image.jpeg

- Shane

@iacas @Big C

Did you guys see this?

106482272-1586443499904gettyimages-12049

White House advisor Anthony Fauci gave insight on what the "new normal" will be for Americans after the...

- Shane

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

@iacas @Big C

Did you guys see this?

White House advisor Anthony Fauci gave insight on what the "new normal" will be for Americans after the...

I will miss a good, firm handshake.  It is such an affirmation of our human bond in endeavors we share.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

@iacas @Big C

Did you guys see this?106482272-1586443499904gettyimages-12049

White House advisor Anthony Fauci gave insight on what the "new normal" will be for...

Yeah, so? My opinion remains unchanged.

Shaking hands is hundreds of years old. Maybe more.

And in two years this will be behind us.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

@iacas @Big C

Did you guys see this?

Interesting. But I think there is a big difference between a medical expert's recommended best practices, and what Americans will actually do once Covid-19 is no longer seen as a threat. 

I think there is a big chunk of the public that see a firm handshake as an integral part of the American way and that forgoing that practice would be seen as weakness or "letting fear win." 

I stand by my opinion. Handshaking will be back with a vengeance by 2021.

Edit: @iacas beat me to it by about 30 seconds - but I agree 100%

Edited by Big C

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

Interesting. But I think there is a big difference between a medical expert's recommended best practices, and what Americans will actually do once Covid-19 is no longer seen as a threat. 

I think there is a big chunk of the public that see a firm handshake as an integral part of the American way and that forgoing that practice would be seen as weakness or "letting fear win." 

I stand by my opinion. Handshaking will be back with a vengeance by 2021.

I can see it now.  First tee, handshakes all around... but first, hand sanitizer is passed around...

People will once again flock to urgent care centers for mild, common, and self resolving issues that in no way require medical attention beyond OTC meds. 
Handshakes will be fine. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

People will once again flock to urgent care centers for mild, common, and self resolving issues that in no way require medical attention beyond OTC meds. 
Handshakes will be fine. 

You do know I have already sneezed 3 times into my hand before greeting you on the first tee...

13 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Vinsk... you must have great patience (not patients).

My opinion: 

I believe time will change our current thought process on shaking hands.  In the past, it was accepted, currently it isn't.  A couple years from now unless we have another viral outbreak, handshaking will be back.   

Remember how united the country was on 9/11?   Today for most of us except those that were directly affected, it's just a bad memory.  Time has/will allowed us to mellow to this event.   It's like the death of a loved one, tragic when it happens but over time we accept the fact, move on and the hurt subsides a little.  

We'll be back to at least a fist bump but possibly hand shaking. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

12 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

We're doing kind of the opposite.  We're ordering takeout almost every time we think of it--we want them to stay open.

Same here, although not all of my favorite restaurants are open for takeout at the moment. I'm fortunate that I'm able to still work, so I support my favorite local businesses as well.

There has been an increase in random acts of kindness/generosity. I overheard an interaction at work today: the cashier at the drive thru told an older man that the lady in the car in front of him paid for his food. Complete strangers. I'm told that's not unusual to see lately.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

Wives actually WANT their husbands to play golf to get them out of their hair.

tell that to mine; I have a honey-do list 2 miles long at which I'm chipping away slowly

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

42 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

tell that to mine; I have a honey-do list 2 miles long at which I'm chipping away slowly

I'm not stepping front of that train. 😉

- Shane

Note: This thread is 1224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!