IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But I still want to know how we can tell the vaccinated from the unvaccinated? Will the latter be wearing a scarlet letter "U"  on their chest?

I hope it doesn't come to having to carry the vaccine card but at this point the people that aren't vaccinated have had the opportunity (except for a few exceptions) and are taking the risks upon themselves.    I've done my part to protect myself, family and friends.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have seen this before.  It may strike a nerve with David, bless his heart.  Putting forth a ton of "I want to wait" babble is oftentimes a cover up for something else, something that person is unwilling to share. 

In David's case it may be a strong allegiance to his buddies at the pool hall... he'd look foolish in their eyes if he did get vaccinated.  It may be an abject fear of needles he doesn't want to reveal.  It may be that his parents were anti-vaxers and he still buys in.  Oh hell, it just might have something to do with machismo. 

We will probably never know the real reason behind David's reluctance to be vaccinated.

Humans have a way of talking around things they don't want to deal with.

Interestingly, I’d say there are more people at my golf club that have chosen not to get jabbed than at the pool hall.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Interestingly, I’d say there are more people at my golf club that have chosen not to get jabbed than at the pool hall.

Golfers, too, have been known to be "Thought process-challenged".

I wonder how many would jump at getting a shot that would add 30 yards to their drive and decrease their dispersion?

50 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'll guarantee you that the unvaccinated are whipping off their masks, too.

I'm fully vaccinated but my masking habits have stayed pretty much the same, but guessing in the minority. It's the frequency of going places that has increased. I lost a lot of faith in the CDC in the past 5 years.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

It’s the lack of information at this point.

Believe what you want. 

It’s not what I believe, it’s what does the data say. I’m a retired chemical engineer. I based all my career’s work on data gathering and analysis. The data is out there for this vaccine. The analysis of that data concludes that it is safe an effective.

You chose to ignore the data and analysis waiting for an epiphany or 100% guarantee, which you know never will come. So you will act like you’ve reviewed the results and pretend you’ve made an educated decision, which you haven’t. You’re gaslighting yourself, which is just sad. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It’s not what I believe, it’s what does the data say. I’m a retired chemical engineer. I based all my career’s work on data gathering and analysis. The data is out there for this vaccine. The analysis of that data concludes that it is safe an effective.

You chose to ignore the data and analysis waiting for an epiphany or 100% guarantee, which you know never will come. So you will act like you’ve reviewed the results and pretend you’ve made an educated decision, which you haven’t. You’re gaslighting yourself, which is just sad. 

I’m glad that you’re comfortable with the decision you made.

In David's bag....

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I’m glad that you’re comfortable with the decision you made.

Now you’re just being smarmy and patronizing. I’m sad for you and your poor decision making. And sad for the people you may infect because you couldn’t do your duty as a citizen. You’ve never had any of the diseases you were already vaccinated for but chose to not participate in this one. The state of Wyoming has died and you couldn’t give a sh*t.

Scott

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Now you’re just being smarmy and patronizing. I’m sad for you and your poor decision making. And sad for the people you may infect because you couldn’t do your duty as a citizen. You’ve never had any of the diseases you were already vaccinated for but chose to not participate in this one. The state of Wyoming has died and you couldn’t give a sh*t.

And you, for some reason believe that your judgement is better than the millions of others.  To have the temerity to lecture me on my “duty” as a citizen is the height of arrogance.  Given how relatively little you know about me, my family, and my life, it’s also demonstrably ignorant.

To say that someone “doesn’t care” that people die because of the virus is utter nonsense and is nothing but a somewhat pathetic attempt to elevate yourself in your own eyes.  I know, I know.  I’m killing people every time I walk out the front door.  :doh:

Do you drive?  A silly strawman, but since Erik brought it up awhile back, I thought it would be interesting to look at the numbers.  According to the NTSB, someone in the US who begins driving at 16 will average 3 accidents while behind the wheel in their driving career.  Additionally, one out of every 103 accidents results in a fatality...  

...From a probability standpoint, you’re more likely to be involved in a car wreck in which someone dies in your lifetime than I am to “kill” someone simply because I choose to wait a bit before getting vaccinated.

Interestingly, even given that, I wouldn’t have the audacity to think that it was my place to tell you to stop driving before you kill someone.  

In David's bag....

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

And you, for some reason believe that your judgement is better than the millions of others.  To have the temerity to lecture me on my “duty” as a citizen is the height of arrogance.  Given how relatively little you know about me, my family, and my life, it’s also demonstrably ignorant.

If its the opinions of millions of people who lack the knowledge to fully understand the vaccine and probably get most of there information from opinionated people not in the specific science community.. I rather stick with the science community on this one. 

Your millions of people who choose not to get the vaccine, do not come close to trumping the science community on this one. 

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

To say that someone “doesn’t care” that people die because of the virus is utter nonsense and is nothing but a somewhat pathetic attempt to elevate yourself in your own eyes.  I know, I know.  I’m killing people every time I walk out the front door.  :doh:

When you walk out the front door, you are not potentially carrying a virus we know exists and know has been the third highest killer of people in the past year. Its not like heart disease or cancer, which you can't spread person to person. 

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Do you drive?  A silly strawman, but since Erik brought it up awhile back, I thought it would be interesting to look at the numbers.  According to the NTSB, someone in the US who begins driving at 16 will average 3 accidents while behind the wheel in their driving career.  Additionally, one out of every 103 accidents results in a fatality...  

Lots of different type of fatalities. They are not contagious events that spread.

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

..From a probability standpoint, you’re more likely to be involved in a car wreck in which someone dies in your lifetime than I am to “kill” someone simply because I choose to wait a bit before getting vaccinated.

Not a fair assessment. We are not going to have COVID around at its peak mortality for our lifetime. Please take that stat down to a yearly event. 

That's like saying, Oh, you know this really bad flu season... you are more likely to die during a 500 year flood than die from that flu. To me, that just sounds like a stupid comparison. 

11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Interestingly, even given that, I wouldn’t have the audacity to think that it was my place to tell you to stop driving before you kill someone.

If I knew the person was elderly and their driving skills were horrible. Then yes, I would tell them to not get behind the wheel of a car. My coworker, she drives over 100 mph on her motorcycle. I am waiting for the day she doesn't show up at work. I told her that she shouldn't do that. 

You can say it is rude of me to butt in to her life like that, but honestly. I don't want to have to go to her funeral. She has an adorable grand daughter who she loves greatly. That would be a tragedy if she killed herself on a motorcycle like that. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

And you, for some reason believe that your judgement is better than the millions of others.  

You don’t get it. No one here made any judgement. How could we? Do you know the science? Have you studied biochemistry, pharmaceutical medicine, etc? How could we possibly have any educated judgement or opinion? A extremely high majority of those who do know, say take the vaccine. I trust them. They’ve taken it. They are the leaders. Those doctors on the front line take the advice from those who design these drugs/vaccines because they have the education and experience. 

I say this too often now. When did one’s profession mean so little? Too many read dr google and think they know something after 5min. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 minutes ago, phillyk said:

You don’t get it. No one here made any judgement. How could we? Do you know the science? Have you studied biochemistry, pharmaceutical medicine, etc? How could we possibly have any educated judgement or opinion? A extremely high majority of those who do know, say take the vaccine. I trust them. They’ve taken it. They are the leaders. Those doctors on the front line take the advice from those who design these drugs/vaccines because they have the education and experience. 

I say this too often now. When did one’s profession mean so little? Too many read dr google and think they know something after 5min. 

These are the same kind of folks who don’t need attorneys, accountants, or doctors to tell them anything. They know better. 

While I really believe a golf forum isn't going to change anyone's opinion about the vaccine, let me add a twist.

There are several colleges that are requiring students to be vaccinated before returning to school.   Are they wrong?   If so, why do all elementary schools require vaccines for students before they can attend?   The coronavirus isn't something new where a vaccine was whipped up in a few weeks.   We all took polio vaccines to help eradicate the disease.   Mump and measles are heavily reduced until some people this past year decided not to get vaccinated and there were consequences.  

I understand the idea of being concerned about something new here, but it's not new.   Science and the many, many thousands of hours of work of very highly skilled scientists have assured us of its effectiveness.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

31 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... or golf professionals...

True. The difference with golf pros, is you’re not as certain you’re getting a good one just because they’re a PGA member. Many of the PGM programs at universities focus more on business management and passing the PAT than they do on golf instruction and the ability to teach others. Granted, not all of the other industry professionals, unfortunately, are up to snuff either, but usually one will know the good firms and doctors. Great golf instructors are like unicorns seems like.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

And you, for some reason believe that your judgement is better than the millions of others.  

Those millions haven't judged anything. They've passed around nonsense they read on social media. They don't evcen watch actual news channels on TV. My judgement in believing experts and scientist trumps millions of people who have been told the vaccine is dangerous by people who know nothing. Of course it does.

Where are the experts who say it is dangerous or potentially dangerous? Dr Oz? Dr Phil? There are NONE.

Oh - perhaps there are 74 million folks in the U.S.A who, if surveyed  would say that the "have serious concerns" about the vaccine. Their opinions have zero value. Like people who believe the earth is flat or that Sandy Hook didn't happen.

I am not seeing a lack of information. The science community has been fantastic.

People who have wanted a vaccine have been given all the information they need. They don't go searching for another conspiracy theory to obsess about.

And I'd be very happy to carry a card saying I'd had the vaccine. What's the downside? Being made to feel like a pariah because you refuse to act responsibly?

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

...From a probability standpoint, you’re more likely to be involved in a car wreck in which someone dies in your lifetime than I am to “kill” someone simply because I choose to wait a bit before getting vaccinated.

You continue to make a fool of yourself in this thread. Please post elsewhere where you have some knowledge. You have nothing to add here. And yes, it’s my opinion that you don’t care anything about the thousands of dead Americans.

Scott

My Swing Thread