IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

From an article in The Atlantic

"A recent (but not yet peer-reviewed) study of more than half a million U.S. veterans showed that the Johnson & Johnson shot’s protection against infection (whether or not that leads to disease or hospitalization) had plummeted from 88 percent to 3 percent by mid-August, while the other vaccines’ effectiveness had declined much less."

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

It’s not yet peer reviewed and I’d be curious as to their sample size. But thanks for the link.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Got the Moderna booster yesterday.   Play 45 holes on the simulator today.   The injection site is sore but no other issues. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

22 hours ago, iacas said:

To me this implies that natural antibodies are still good, yet the vaccine is being held over workers heads, forcing them to make choices they should not have to make if they have been infected with Cov-Sars-2 (assuming they have a functional immune system)

I tend to agree that immunity gained through infection should be sufficient for these employers to allow employees to not get the vax if they show an antibody test, but can already hear the pitchforks being picked up.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

To me this implies that natural antibodies are still good

The point he's making is that they're all natural antibodies. There's really no such thing — as a result of a vaccination or an infection — as "artificial" antibodies. The thing about getting a vaccine is that far more is known about the antibody response. With a weak infection, you can pop positive and not generate much of an antibody response.

9 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

yet the vaccine is being held over workers heads, forcing them to make choices they should not have to make if they have been infected with Cov-Sars-2 (assuming they have a functional immune system).

🤦‍♂️

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Just read something yesterday that your antibodies vs. the original or Delta variant will not work for new variants.  Only the vaccine will do that.

Go get your damn shots Bonvivant...

Lol. So they predict the future now do they? 🤣

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

5 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

To me this implies that natural antibodies are still good, yet the vaccine is being held over workers heads, forcing them to make choices they should not have to make if they have been infected with Cov-Sars-2 (assuming they have a functional immune system)

I tend to agree that immunity gained through infection should be sufficient for these employers to allow employees to not get the vax if they show an antibody test, but can already hear the pitchforks being picked up.

That sounds like hyperbole to me. No one is being "forced" to get a vaccine. People are being given choices.

As for the "immunity from infection" how does one know what level of immunity they may have? The antibody tests are not 100% accurate and the FDA also has this to say about the tests:

• Be aware that SARS-CoV-2 antibody tests help health care providers identify whether someone has antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, indicating a prior infection with the virus. However, more research is needed to understand the meaning of a positive or negative antibody test, beyond the presence or absence of antibodies, including in people who received a COVID-19 vaccination, in people who have been exposed and have SARS-CoV-2 antibodies, and in people who are not fully vaccinated.
  • If you have not been vaccinated: Be aware that a positive result from an antibody test does not mean you have a specific amount of immunity or protection from SARS-CoV-2 infection. If you have a positive test result on a SARS-CoV-2 antibody test, it means that it is possible you were previously infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Talk with your health care provider about the meaning of your SARS-CoV-2 antibody test results.
FDA-Social-Graphic.png

FDA reminds the public and health care providers that SARS-CoV-2 antibody test results should not be used to evaluate a person’s level of immunity from COVID-19

Some of us are really tired of those who won't simply do the right thing, get the blinkin' shots, and help us all be done with it. There are few good reasons not to do so.

21 minutes ago, Zippo said:

That sounds like hyperbole to me. No one is being "forced" to get a vaccine. People are being given choices

The choice is about to be their livelihood for upwards of 80 million in the US. Not much of a choice. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

The choice is about to be their livelihood for upwards of 80 million in the US. Not much of a choice. 

No, it’s a choice. Choices come with consequences.

53 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, it’s a choice. Choices come with consequences.

FFS yes. Thank you. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If you are not vaccinated it ain't much fun.  Can't go to restaurants, can't go to bars, can't go to some large events, can't get a transplant, can't get that date, can't make new friends, can't afford your hospital bill, can't afford your insurance increases.

But you can die an ugly death.

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If you are not vaccinated it ain't much fun.  Can't go to restaurants, can't go to bars, can't go to some large events, can't get a transplant, can't get that date, can't make new friends, can't afford your hospital bill, can't afford your insurance increases.

Additionally, you can't fly, you can't hold a lot of jobs, you can't cross many borders, you can't get respect of fellow employees, friends and even some of your family.

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A friend sent this to me. I thought it was amusing. Ghoulish, but amusing.

A4E7F95D-9D80-4C02-9E4C-9D52C80D02C2.thumb.jpeg.c2c07a58c510aa6bdf3b40a93a489a5e.jpeg

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:
10 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Additionally, you can't fly, you can't hold a lot of jobs, you can't cross many borders, you can't get respect of fellow employees, friends and even some of your family.

Although I don't think your list is very accurate for much of the country, maybe they have a good reason to not get vaccinated if your list is true?

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Wanzo said:

Although I don't think your list is very accurate for much of the country, maybe they have a good reason to not get vaccinated if your list is true?

The list of "good reasons" is very, very short.

8 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Hey, you're in Missouri where nobody is vaccinated! I should have put in a disclaimer saying all these "Can'ts"  are not true everywhere.

11 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

You (royal you, of course) make the choice to drive drunk your livelihood is in jeopardy because in doing so you are a danger to society. You make the choice not to get the vaccine your livelihood is in jeopardy because in doing so you are a danger to society. That is as it should be.

People making the wrong choice (and countries where there may be little option to make the right choice) are the reason we still are where we are now.