IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

That ball started rolling away and you just let it! I kept waiting for you to stop it with your clubhead.

Concentration: Level 100 😜

6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

for the first part of the drill, I found it really hard to left the club fall - so weird. 

I can attest to that. The first time I learned this technique properly (@iacas gave me a lesson last year) that was the hardest part. It took a little while to get used to, but now all I need is a couple of rehearsals and I’m good to go.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just tried this for a bit, probably will get some video later. I didn't have much success with the feeling of letting the club just drop or fall behind the ball, when I was consciously thinking about that, I would forget to turn and would hit them really fat. 

When I transitioned my thinking into more of "open the face with the right hand" and then "aggressive turn with my body" and let my arms just follow along, I was getting much better results with consistent strikes and nice soft pitches with my 60 degree. I struggled a bit with my 54 degree but I will keep practicing with that.

@iacas I do have two questions I thought of when I was trying this.

1. Do you typically open the face much at address or do you keep it square to the target? (On just the typical pitch shot, not like a bunker or flop shot)
  2. Is there a max distance that you typically go with this pitching feeling/motion? I will be trying in a field later but I would imagine this can get out to at least like 50-60 yards right?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

In the full swing? No, not at all. It should be forward a bit. Some people just go crazy forward in an attempt to have a "flat" left wrist at setup.

If your grip is neutral it will tend to be pretty flat at the top. Stronger grips will tend to be cupped slightly. I could have made that clearer in the video, but I remember thinking it was going on for a long time as it was… 😉

Regarding the first bit, ya I like it quite forward. More than most people like this. Too much?

Screenshot_20200407-185454.thumb.jpg.167b2e6bbba2f8ca54b423ce5776201e.jpg

Regarding the 2nd part, I'm not worried so much about the flat wrist more that the clubface is not parralel with the lead forearm, its a little closed. Is that ok?

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

for the first part of the drill, I found it really hard to left the club fall - so weird.

I have love the quickie pitch video in the instructional content since the day I found it. Very useful shot. 

You did that one well. It may have felt difficult, but you did it nicely.

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

@iacas I do have two questions I thought of when I was trying this.

1. Do you typically open the face much at address or do you keep it square to the target? (On just the typical pitch shot, not like a bunker or flop shot)
  2. Is there a max distance that you typically go with this pitching feeling/motion? I will be trying in a field later but I would imagine this can get out to at least like 50-60 yards right?
  1. I think the video says square, no? Open tends to lead to a ball position that's back, or… just some goofy alignment.
  2. I've hit "pitches" a hundred yards (with an 8I maybe). Depends on the club. But yeah, with a wedge, out to about 70 yards with a PW.

Remember, this is the extreme end of the spectrum. With a little arm motion you can hit a "65% pitch/35% chip" that goes 90 yards with a PW.

3 minutes ago, Nail said:

Regarding the first bit, ya I like it quite forward. More than most people like this. Too much?

No.

3 minutes ago, Nail said:

Regarding the 2nd part, I'm not worried so much about the flat wrist more that the clubface is not parralel with the lead forearm, its a little closed. Is that ok?

Yeah, so long as you don't cup it coming down.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 7 practice this evening really enjoying these drills. Whether I am doing them well or not is another story😂. Watch the catch at the end 👊

• Thumbs Up 1

I did this several times. First out on the lawn with a 58. Then again on my set up stand. I had to use a PW and GW because it launched too high. I spent a good 25 minutes on this. I only filmed examples.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Nail said:

Day 7 practice this evening really enjoying these drills. Whether I am doing them well or not is another story😂. Watch the catch at the end 👊

Nice reaction! Dave and I will pitch balls against a metal beam and we have to catch them about as quickly as you did. Maybe less quickly even.

9 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I did this several times. First out on the lawn with a 58. Then again on my set up stand. I had to use a PW and GW because it launched too high. I spent a good 25 minutes on this. I only filmed examples.

Good, Scott.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sorry for the crappy angle, but I had to rush outside after Digital Learning Day #12 before it started to rain.  I practiced earlier this morning when we went out to get "bus lunch."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, bwdial said:

Sorry for the crappy angle, but I had to rush outside after Digital Learning Day #12 before it started to rain.  I practiced earlier this morning when we went out to get "bus lunch."

NICE! Can you do four?

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

NICE! Can you do four?

Maybe.  I may try this evening if the weather clears.

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

The rain held off, Day 7

I like this mental image of the club dropping plus pivot. Really takes my head out of trying to hit the ball. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Those look good Matt.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

NICE! Can you do four?

Well... I managed to get back outside and practiced with three balls.  Well, I practiced once, because I launched two of them into the forest behind the house.

:poo:

Got some on video tonight, on these shots here I was trying to hit my golf bag which was 40 yards out into the field. I found the farther distances like 30-50 yards to be easier than the closer ones from like 10-20 yards. 

Came back home and practiced the 10-20 yard ones a bit more and started getting the hang of those too with both my 60 and 54. 

I really like these short game ones because I haven't been able to spend any time at the driving range short game area like I typically would be doing this time of year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

Day 7 Complete. I really like this form of pitching. I remember working on this some when the initial videos of this were posted. This series is awesome.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, metaswinger said:

Day 7

The "soft arm" analogy hits home here.  Most of my errors are from being too tight.

Remember the club shouldn't fall down to where the ball the would be sitting. It should fall down behind your right foot, if it's truly just "falling" down.

Note: This thread is 741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!