IGNORED

Thinking of Doing an Instructional Video Series…

Note: This thread is 1364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Monthly Instructional Subscription  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you be willing to pay for four (4) videos per month from Erik and Dave? Videos would be 3 to 8 minutes.

• I would not pay for such a thing.
    • $1 to $3
    • $4 to $6
    • $7 to $10
    • $11+
  2. 2. Same as above, but four (4) from Dave/Erik and four more (8 total) from other Golf Evolution instructors, like Preston, Brian, Stephan, Kris, etc.

• I would not pay for such a thing.
    • $1 to $3
    • $4 to $6
    • $7 to $10
    • $11 to $15
    • $16+

• Administrator

Via Patreon or other (often custom-built) sites, I'm considering starting a site or a feed or something that offers up a few videos each week or month and charging a small fee to subscribe to get access to the videos.

Patreon is a good example of this, and it offers multiple tiers, so for example I could offer (I'm making this all up right now):

• For $5/month, one video per week.
  • For $9/month, the above plus access to a bi-weekly Q&A session.
  • For $14/month, all of the above plus a quick video lesson on Golf Coach App each month.
  • For $29/month, all of the above plus pink fluffy bunnies in your dreams every other night at a minimum.

You get the idea.

The real questions are in the poll above, but some actual details would be:

• It'd probably be under the Lowest Score Wins brand.
  • Videos will probably involve Dave Wedzik, me, and possibly some of our other instructors (Brian McGrew, Stephan Kostelecky, Preston Combs, Kris Kroetsch, etc.).
  • The videos will involve "scoring," and as we know, scoring is about the full swing, strategy, short game, putting, mental stuff, etc. So the videos will still be all encompassing, all of golf. Speed, specialty shots, etc.
  • Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned this topic

I think this is a really cool idea. The COVID-19 30-Day Challenge videos were enjoyable. The videos themselves would be helpful, but adding the option for a little personalized instruction would be really good.

Once a week is good rate for videos IMO. I follow some YouTube channels for fitness content and that’s about the perfect amount for me. Some channels put stuff out every two or three days and eventually my inbox has so much of their stuff in it that I just stop watching.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Thinking of Doing an Inexpensive Video Series…

Agree this would be a good idea to do and to promote, and weekly is probably a good time frame to allow folks time to practice if they chose to before the next video.

The 30-Day Challenge was awesome, and I understand the daily drills, I think everyone who participated found drills specific to them, but it was a little bit of information overload, but again understand it was setup that way.

I don't think these are concerns, but more of possible thought processes when it comes to paying:

1. Those not working on specific priorities may be more willing to pay as the video's will cover all aspects of the swing.

2. Those that are working on specific priorities may be hesitant to pay if they are working on one thing and the video's cover another thing.

3. Those that believe there's enough video's out there for free.

I probably fall into #2 just because of what I am trying to focus on now with my swing, but because I have been on this site a long time, I know regardless of the video topic, it will be beneficial to everyone.

I think my hesitation is based on this being a new thing, where I may have to wait until week 10 to see a video specific to what i'm working on, but again, I truly believe the first 9 will be beneficial, just maybe not a priority to me.

Flash forward a year where not only are you receiving a weekly video, but have access to a library broken out by categories that you can search and focus on I think changes the thought processes above.

Gus
---------------

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JGus said:

2. Those that are working on specific priorities may be hesitant to pay if they are working on one thing and the video's cover another thing.

I probably fall into #2 just because of what I am trying to focus on now with my swing, but because I have been on this site a long time, I know regardless of the video topic, it will be beneficial to everyone.

I think my hesitation is based on this being a new thing, where I may have to wait until week 10 to see a video specific to what i'm working on, but again, I truly believe the first 9 will be beneficial, just maybe not a priority to me.

And our thinking is in part that if it's $8/month or something, it's worth that small fee to stay in the loop for the videos that do apply, either now or in the future.

It's not like they're all going to be full swing things, either. If you're working on something in your full swing, that doesn't mean a putting video won't be useful to you now and in the future.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Check out a site called Drumeo. It's very popular site for learning to play the drums. It's very successful for delivering educational content.

og-image.jpg

Improve your drumming with award-winning online video drum lessons from the best instructors in the world.

- Shane

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Check out a site called Drumeo. It's very popular site for learning to play the drums. It's very successful for delivering educational content.

Outside of the obvious broad measures, I don't see the relevance. It's $29/month minimum and takes you from a beginner to a proficient drummer through a pre-planned series of lessons.

That's not what we're looking to do.

A site like that is five-figures in development alone, and often mid- to upper-five figures if you want do it well. Hence the cost being higher, too.

You didn't vote in the poll, either, Shane, so I'm not sure you're coming at this from the same angle as we are…

I think a series of videos centered on how to play, rather than how to use a golf club, would be a welcome addition to the site.  Count me in.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

10 hours ago, billchao said:

Once a week is good rate for videos IMO.

I agree with this frequency - maybe 2 at the most. I follow a bit of online cooking and coffee/espresso content, and there’s nothing more of a turnoff for me than online content overload.

I’m interested, because I really enjoyed the 30-day COVID-19 plan.  Might be nice to get a couple “free” previews or examples of the content type to get an sense of the concept. Do you plan to have this build on top of previous LSW concepts, i.e., will having read LSW be important, or will each video stand on its own?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

4 hours ago, iacas said:

You didn't vote in the poll, either, Shane, so I'm not sure you're coming at this from the same angle as we are…

Drumeo is definitely on a much larger scale, but it was the only thing I could relate this concept to.

- Shane

4 hours ago, Piz said:

I think a series of videos centered on how to play, rather than how to use a golf club, would be a welcome addition to the site.  Count me in.

I'm curious as to how you envision this? As you know there's stuff like Game Planning and Shot Zones that involve decision making and course strategy, but a lot of that is understanding the concepts and learning to apply it to your own game.

I can see something like showing various options on say an 80 yard approach shot for someone like me who was pigeonholed into always using one option, but you'd still have to show someone how to use a club to hit a partial wedge shot vs an 8i bump and run, etc.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I'm curious as to how you envision this? As you know there's stuff like Game Planning and Shot Zones that involve decision making and course strategy, but a lot of that is understanding the concepts and learning to apply it to your own game.

I can see something like showing various options on say an 80 yard approach shot for someone like me who was pigeonholed into always using one option, but you'd still have to show someone how to use a club to hit a partial wedge shot vs an 8i bump and run, etc.

I mean, simply, that competent golfers discussing the various ways in which a particular situation may be approached is more interesting to me than watching those same golfers demonstrate technique.  Most of us can figure out, thru trial and error, how to bump a 9 iron 40 yards.  The thing is...a fair percentage of us would not think to do that.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• iacas changed the title to Thinking of Doing an Instructional Video Series…
  • Administrator
46 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I agree with this frequency - maybe 2 at the most. I follow a bit of online cooking and coffee/espresso content, and there’s nothing more of a turnoff for me than online content overload.

Right. If they are two videos, they'd likely be on very different concepts. For example, a chipping or pitching "game" you can play, and a video on picking up distance with the driver. Or whatever.

46 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I’m interested, because I really enjoyed the 30-day COVID-19 plan.  Might be nice to get a couple “free” previews or examples of the content type to get an sense of the concept. Do you plan to have this build on top of previous LSW concepts, i.e., will having read LSW be important, or will each video stand on its own?

The COVID stuff is almost the "free" previews. I don't think that for $6/month or whatever, we'll be all that likely to give away free previews, especially if the preview period lets you watch the entire library or something.

LSW is just the "brand." It's golf instruction, and it would run the gamut from GamePlanning to actual technique and games.

20 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yeah.

4 minutes ago, Piz said:

I mean, simply, that competent golfers discussing the various ways in which a particular situation may be approached is more interesting to me than watching those same golfers demonstrate technique. Most of us can figure out, thru trial and error, how to bump a 9 iron 40 yards.  The thing is...a fair percentage of us would not think to do that.

@Piz, I disagree with you. Most of you can't "figure out how best to do things" in golf. If you could, "most" of you would be near scratch golfers.

The videos will run the gamut, but introduce more games and things, more drills, more "doing" things, than just an informational video.

The "free" golf instruction market is crowded, absolutely. We'd be competing against not only other programs and subscriptions, but free videos (including our own) as well. That said, though, people are often willing to pay for a curated approach, and a few trusted voices. Time is money, and if you can weed through all that's out there and find a few voices and trust those, it can be worth it to a lot of people just in the time saved.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

The "free" golf instruction market is crowded, absolutely. We'd be competing against not only other programs and subscriptions, but free videos (including our own) as well. That said, though, people are often willing to pay for a curated approach, and a few trusted voices. Time is money, and if you can weed through all that's out there and find a few voices and trust those, it can be worth it to a lot of people just in the time saved.

I’d say this is the best ‘pitch’ for this idea in a nutshell. Completely agree.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I voted because I'm a member of the site and on some level part of the intended audience but the more I think about it, what is the intended audience in terms of golfing ability? 

And for the record, I voted that I wouldn't pay for it. I'm not a fan of golf instructional videos and articles. I have no idea if I'm doing the the thing the video is trying to correct and if I make a change, I don't know if I'm really doing it right. I feel like one-on-one instruction is best for me.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

3 hours ago, iacas said:

The COVID stuff is almost the "free" previews. I don't think that for $6/month or whatever, we'll be all that likely to give away free previews, especially if the preview period lets you watch the entire library or something.

Right - I was looking for an example of the content type, not a promotional "first month free (and then auto-renewing for eternity)" type of deal. If it is similar to the COVID-19 series, I'm certainly interested. I'm sure you've already thought of this, but it would be great if these theoretical videos were somehow tagged/categorized so that users can sort historical content to their needs.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

The "free" golf instruction market is crowded, absolutely.

Irritatingly so. Frankly, I'm a tired of seeing some online golf personality asking me to like, comment and subscribe, then giving me a vague 2 minute intro building suspense for whatever they are going to talk about, and then doing a drill in front of a major golf company's tour bag with their name on it, dressed head to toe in a major golf apparel company's gear. And then eventually connecting the free content to a paid service for their real content. Some high quality, curated material, at a reasonable cost, would be excellent.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I voted "I wouldn't pay" only because at my age, any further golf instruction wouldn't do me much good. My game is sound, and is what it is. I have a daily. quality practice regimine that helps keep my game fun to play. 

Now, if I were alot younger, and newer to golf, it sounds like a good idea. I am assuming the instruction would involve a different approaches, and ideas, than what's already out there.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 5/3/2020 at 10:14 AM, iacas said:

Via Patreon or other (often custom-built) sites, I'm considering starting a site or a feed or something that offers up a few videos each week or month and charging a small fee to subscribe to get access to the videos.

Patreon is a good example of this, and it offers multiple tiers, so for example I could offer (I'm making this all up right now):

• For $5/month, one video per week.
  • For $9/month, the above plus access to a bi-weekly Q&A session.
  • For $14/month, all of the above plus a quick video lesson on Golf Coach App each month.
  • For $29/month, all of the above plus pink fluffy bunnies in your dreams every other night at a minimum.

You get the idea.

The real questions are in the poll above, but some actual details would be:

• It'd probably be under the Lowest Score Wins brand.
  • Videos will probably involve Dave Wedzik, me, and possibly some of our other instructors (Brian McGrew, Stephan Kostelecky, Preston Combs, Kris Kroetsch, etc.).
  • The videos will involve "scoring," and as we know, scoring is about the full swing, strategy, short game, putting, mental stuff, etc. So the videos will still be all encompassing, all of golf. Speed, specialty shots, etc.

I think there' so much free content out there that tier 1 would be tough to justify paying for.

The 2nd and 3rd tier are definitely more appealing, as that gives you a chance for a bit more personalization.

Where do I send money for the pink fluffy bunny dreams? Do you offer a family discount?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, DaHolla said:

I think there' so much free content out there that tier 1 would be tough to justify paying for.

There is. But like Steve Jobs said with iTunes, your time is worth something, too. 🙂

Note: This thread is 1364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!