IGNORED

Rory/DJ vs. Rickie/Wolff Skins Game at Seminole!

iacas
Note: This thread is 1436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Where have you heard that? I have never read anything in an article or on social media that says people like how much announcers talk during PGA Tournaments. Pretty much everything I see/read is the exact opposite.

My bad, I did not get that from any source, just gave them (Broadcasters) the benefit of the doubt that maybe they have studied viewers and maybe there are some people that need the talk to make it interesting to them since they are trying to attract & keep viewers many of whom may not be avid golfers.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

I was really pumped to see the course, and I really wasn't impressed. Very plain looking. From the air, it looked like 18 greens out in a field. Mabye it looks better in person, but I can name Ross courses that I've played that I would pick over Seminole. Mabye the fact that it has a bunch of rich members, and it's hard to get on gives it a better rep than it deserves.

I don’t think it’s ranked as the 12th best course in the world because of rich members.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

With all those drones they had, you would think they would have at least one over the 17th green during the playoff to show clearly how far apart Wolff's and Rory's shots were.

As for the match itself, it was good to see pros suffering the same fate as weekend duffers on some of the hole.  In particular, when Wolff tried to hit out of that patch of sand with his ball right behind a plant and went only 30 feet or so. 

But in general I liked seeing some live action.

• Like 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don’t think it’s ranked as the 12th best course in the world because of rich members.

Mabye it needs the wind to play like #12. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

It had a little wind, and it's not like anyone shot 66.

Two of the four were over par.

And that's with an unusual amount of rain. It was super soft, and normally is quite firm.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

And that's with an unusual amount of rain. It was super soft, and normally is quite firm.

They weren’t really able to hold the greens from 180+ out so it must’ve been quite firm - at least at the first par 3 that is.

And the course really didn’t look special to me, wide open with some really large elements of water and waste/sand areas. Pretty boring, there are probably 12 better courses in the UK alone. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Killa said:

They weren’t really able to hold the greens from 180+ out so it must’ve been quite firm - at least at the first par 3 that is.

And drives plugged, too. It was soft.

12 minutes ago, Killa said:

Pretty boring, there are probably 12 better courses in the UK alone. 

Oy.

Y’all saw it on TV. One time.

6 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Also, the open easy look of Seminole made for a very snoozy visual.

They had some renderings done for the broadcast that seemed to show the course better, but I really liked the course and it was the best part of the whole event for me.

20 minutes ago, Killa said:

All the greens are elevated. They really don’t get soft.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

And drives plugged, too. It was soft.

Oy.

Y’all saw it on TV. One time.

I’ve been checking it out on google maps and their fairways are wider than their driving range...

Drives were plugging. There were a couple that even backed up a foot or two.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, Killa said:

I’ve been checking it out on google maps and their fairways are wider than their driving range...

Why is that a bad thing? A course doesn't have to have 20 yard fairways with 4 inch rough around it to make it a good course IMO.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

Why is that a bad thing? A course doesn't have to have 20 yard fairways with 4 inch rough around it to make it a good course IMO.

Quite the opposite, IMO. Courses that are designed like that feel tacky and tricked up.

Ross designs are meant to be playable for people of all skill levels, but only reward the best shots with the proper angles and stuff.

Plus it’s built on a beach in Florida. There’s only so much natural terrain to work with. If you do too much with moving soil around to build shapes, it becomes too artificial.

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Two fun takeaways for me:

1.  DJ marching off the 18th tee thinking his caddie was trailing him... for about 2 seconds.

2.  Course was okay, but I liked the clubhouse and unused swimming pool better.  I'd love to have a gin & tonic at the bar on the patio or in the locker room.  Maybe Tom Brady would sit down next to me and we could discourse on the game of pro football.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Two fun takeaways for me:

1.  DJ marching off the 18th tee thinking his caddie was trailing him... for about 2 seconds.

He was probably the only one that looked out of place carrying. He would carry his bag to the tee instead of leaving it down below not thinking that he would be walking right back by it. I guess it's been too long since he's played junior golf...haha

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I liked it while knowing it could be improved on if they ever wanted to try it again.

I also wish golf simply had this format more. I know why matchplay and skins isnt on tv more, but I wish we had more of it. 

I dont think I needed Bill Murray, and as a Canadian I turned it off automatically for 20 minutes when Trump came on.

8 hours ago, burr said:

So anybody keep a clock on how long it takes 4pros to walk a flat tract?  DJ seemed to play ready golf tee to green.

I didn't watch it as closely as some others did, but Shotgun Start did. They said a few times it was picked up live a few times of producers telling players to wait. They had to get the camera guys in place and they weren't as quick as the players at walking.

Edited by cutchemist42
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

I also wish golf simply had this format more. I know why matchplay and skins isnt on tv more, but I wish we had more of it. 

Agreed  

- Shane

19 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

I didn't watch it as closely as some others did, but Shotgun Start did. They said a few times it was picked up live a few times of producers telling players to wait. They had to get the camera guys in place and they weren't as quick as the players at walking.

They needed time to air their commercials, too. Plenty of TV timeouts.

Bill

My Swing Thread

23 hours ago, colin007 said:

I don't for the life of me understand why they were carrying instead of using push carts. Makes no sense to me.

When I was that age, I walked and carried all the time. 

12 hours ago, burr said:

My main interest in watching was to see the famed Seminole Golf Course, not the golf involved;  so much hype about the course all week.  And it is a beautiful setting.  I understand the design had to work with what they had but I'm fairly amazed at the closeness of all holes from green to next teebox.  I suppose play does not get too backed up on an ultra elite course such as Seminole but I also betcha they's some ducking going on with the errant shots during normal golfing days.

they seemed to be fairly prompt except for deciding who was 'away' on second shots.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

7 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

Well, there was some wind and nobody murdered the course! I had heard that comment earlier in the week leading up to the event. If the wind didn't blow, someone could go out there and shoot 60! That's why I tuned in. I wanted to see Seminole. Looked pretty awesome to me. Also, it did remind me of Pinehurst #2 a little bit, after they restored it to its original condition. Well, other than the palm trees! 

7 hours ago, iacas said:

And they still had trouble holding shots on the greens! I'm a Donald Ross fan. We have a handful of his courses in my area, and I've played most of them. If you learn about him, and keep an eye out, you can usually spot his design.

Note: This thread is 1436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!