Jump to content
weberd27

USGA Broadcast Rights Move From FOX to NBC

27 posts / 1389 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Just received an email from the USGA about this. While the FOX broadcasts have improved over the years, I think this should be an improvement.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/06/nbc-universal-usga-championships-media-broadcast-rights-agreement.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know.  I liked Fox's coverage a lot better than NBC's fluff pieces.

Fox had some growing pains, but I preferred their coverage over NBC's sentimental stories.

When I turn on the TV to watch golf, I want to watch golf not some fluff piece on a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Yukari said:

When I turn on the TV to watch golf, I want to watch golf not some fluff piece on a player.

I definitely agree with that!  More golf the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Yukari said:

I don't know.  I liked Fox's coverage a lot better than NBC's fluff pieces.

Fox had some growing pains, but I preferred their coverage over NBC's sentimental stories.

When I turn on the TV to watch golf, I want to watch golf not some fluff piece on a player.

Completely on board with that. FOX had a rough start but was doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm bummed in that I enjoyed Fox's coverage, but glad that it's not CBS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well now we’ll get 3 minutes of golf followed by 10 minute sob story. Repeat. Repeat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know what this means? The return of Chris Berman on Thursday/Friday coverage on ESPN.

Personally I like NBCs coverage best. I like their analysts and on course reporters better than Fox’s and Dan Hicks is better than Joe Buck at golf.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

You know what this means? The return of Chris Berman on Thursday/Friday coverage on ESPN.

I dint think so. ESPN is ABC. They had a separate contract for those rounds. I think we might see them on Golf Channel (NBC).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On one hand, I liked the direction FOX was going.  I was optimistic about their chances.

On the other hand, being on NBC means Feherty and with CBS I think cutting McCord, those two might get a reunion, which played a big role back in 2004 for me getting into golf in the first place, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Shindig said:

On one hand, I liked the direction FOX was going.  I was optimistic about their chances.

On the other hand, being on NBC means Feherty and with CBS I think cutting McCord, those two might get a reunion, which played a big role back in 2004 for me getting into golf in the first place, so...

I hope to never hear McCord announce a golf tournament again. It’s as bad as Jacobsen’s ‘short takes’ or whatever he called them when they were not remotely funny or entertaining. 😖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I hope to never hear McCord announce a golf tournament again. It’s as bad as Jacobsen’s ‘short takes’ or whatever he called them when they were not remotely funny or entertaining. 😖

In summer 2004, my then-roommate was playing golf on the Xbox, and McCord / Feherty were announcing.  Overhearing the commentary got me interested in golf in the first place, so they have a special place in my heart.  I also enjoy their sense of humor.

But then again, I used to enjoy it in the NFL when a team's ground game was getting nowhere and a commentator would reference the Battle of Verdun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another thing that sucks about this is that Fox essentially had all-day coverage of the US Open, between FS1 and Fox itself. I'd imagine NBC is not going to keep that, unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

In summer 2004, my then-roommate was playing golf on the Xbox, and McCord / Feherty were announcing.  Overhearing the commentary got me interested in golf in the first place, so they have a special place in my heart.  I also enjoy their sense of humor.

But then again, I used to enjoy it in the NFL when a team's ground game was getting nowhere and a commentator would reference the Battle of Verdun.

Those two on that version or those few versions of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour video games were better than when they would do actual golf tournaments. IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, jamo said:

Those two on that version or those few versions of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour video games were better than when they would do actual golf tournaments. IMO.

For sure.  The game in question was the 2004 Xbox version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, Shindig said:

For sure.  The game in question was the 2004 Xbox version.

04, 05, and 14 were my favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, iacas said:

I dint think so. ESPN is ABC. They had a separate contract for those rounds. I think we might see them on Golf Channel (NBC).

I think you’re right. ESPN has the first two rounds of the PGA and Masters. They used to share the US Open with NBC but that was with the old contract. Looks like TGC will air the first two rounds.

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Another thing that sucks about this is that Fox essentially had all-day coverage of the US Open, between FS1 and Fox itself. I'd imagine NBC is not going to keep that, unfortunately. 

TGC/NBC does all day coverage with the Open Championship so I would imagine they’d do it with the US Open as well.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope someone does a study comparing the number of golf shots per hour that each network shows in their respective coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I long for the good old days, 1950's-60's, Jim McKay, Jack Whitaker, Chris Schenkel, Ken Venturi, Pat Summerall, ..., where they say in a hushed tone, "He's lining up his putt, and then....SILENCE for the next 30 seconds...I can't stand golf commentary these days. They just need to hear themselves talk non-stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • If only there were decades of tournament data that could provide statistical clarity to the question. 
    • I have had lessons in the past. In addition to this ive read countless ideas on the swing by so many people and watched gold constantly. When i was good at golf, i had a swing where i attacked the ball very much from the inside and played with a strong draw. My grip was odd...the left hand pretty neutral but the right hand strong. The swing was very short and had a very fast tempo, not dissimilar to someone like Nicholas Thompson off the PGA tour. I got down to a 2 handicap at lowest, and usually a low 3 handicapper hovering around 2.5, 2.6 index. I wanted to get better as i never felt i hit the ball that well, so i sought out lessons and i saw the trackman numbers and such. We worked on getting the grip better, actually aligning to the target better (whereas before i would just kind of walk up to the ball, shuffle around a bit till i felt it was ok and hit), i started really focusing on things that i still think are good like alignment, routine etc. And the swing path became less inside out. For a while i played great, then i started getting steeper and steeper and hitting disgusting pull slices all day. THEN, it started getting to the point where, my mind wouldnt let me take the club away. I would do all kinds of crazy stuff like the club would bounce up and down and my takeaway totally frozen even though pros recommended trigger moves etc. Then because the game wasnt enjoyable because of the yipping, id start taking time off because i didnt want to go through with all of this and then, i started losing my flexibility, getting bigger etc. Now I just dont want to go because the only emotions i ever feel are frustration, resentment, annoyance, wanting it to be over after 10 mins and feeling like theres 4 more hours left etc. If you could take me back to a time where i did not yip, i would play the game again and absolutely love it, but its never ever coming back. Ive tried everything. It HURTS. Ive never been any good at ANYTHING else in my life. I put everything into golf from the age of 12 up to about 25. The last 10 years has just been too much for me. i just cant take it
    • So do you need the club that fills your stated clubs to hold greens (are you going to hit into the greens / all carry)? Or are you fine with some roll out? Hold greens > properly fitted hybrid ~19/20 degrees loft. Some rolll out ok / does not hit directly into a green > properly fitted 5 wood/~17-18 degrees loft. 
    • I would love to see Tiger start to use one of these  
    • First of all, nice job with getting a bit more on plane going back. The club isn’t going nearly as much to the inside which is good. I’d take screenshots of where you are at A2 and keep tracking that so you can be sure you are starting back on plane. Overall, you are trending the right way here! I don’t really think the head movement is anything to be focusing on. If anything, it is a symptom of the OTT move and not a cause. The more important thing to notice about the transition is the shoulder move and what exactly it is accomplishing and then working back from that a little bit to find the root cause. What I see is a shoulder move in transition that is a compensation for your pretty flat shoulder turn. Look at how flat your shoulders are at the top of the backswing and then look at how much steeper they get right after you start the transition. The answer to this might very well be what @iacas was suggesting by nudging you towards working on your torso turn in the early backswing. That should help get your shoulder turn to be a bit steeper. Before you start true downswing/transition thoughts or work: backswing, backswing, backswing.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Cantankerish
      Cantankerish
      (46 years old)
    2. Dimes44
      Dimes44
      (37 years old)
    3. Donald Belcher
      Donald Belcher
      (84 years old)
    4. jimnm
      jimnm
      (41 years old)
    5. Zachase715
      Zachase715
      (28 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...