IGNORED

USGA Broadcast Rights Move From FOX to NBC

weberd27
Note: This thread is 1391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just received an email from the USGA about this. While the FOX broadcasts have improved over the years, I think this should be an improvement.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/06/nbc-universal-usga-championships-media-broadcast-rights-agreement.html

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know.  I liked Fox's coverage a lot better than NBC's fluff pieces.

Fox had some growing pains, but I preferred their coverage over NBC's sentimental stories.

When I turn on the TV to watch golf, I want to watch golf not some fluff piece on a player.

• Like 2

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

14 minutes ago, Yukari said:

When I turn on the TV to watch golf, I want to watch golf not some fluff piece on a player.

I definitely agree with that!  More golf the better.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Yukari said:

I don't know.  I liked Fox's coverage a lot better than NBC's fluff pieces.

Fox had some growing pains, but I preferred their coverage over NBC's sentimental stories.

Completely on board with that. FOX had a rough start but was doing well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm bummed in that I enjoyed Fox's coverage, but glad that it's not CBS. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Well now we’ll get 3 minutes of golf followed by 10 minute sob story. Repeat. Repeat. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

You know what this means? The return of Chris Berman on Thursday/Friday coverage on ESPN.

Personally I like NBCs coverage best. I like their analysts and on course reporters better than Fox’s and Dan Hicks is better than Joe Buck at golf.

Edited by ChrisP

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

You know what this means? The return of Chris Berman on Thursday/Friday coverage on ESPN.

I dint think so. ESPN is ABC. They had a separate contract for those rounds. I think we might see them on Golf Channel (NBC).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On one hand, I liked the direction FOX was going.  I was optimistic about their chances.

On the other hand, being on NBC means Feherty and with CBS I think cutting McCord, those two might get a reunion, which played a big role back in 2004 for me getting into golf in the first place, so...

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

18 minutes ago, Shindig said:

On one hand, I liked the direction FOX was going.  I was optimistic about their chances.

On the other hand, being on NBC means Feherty and with CBS I think cutting McCord, those two might get a reunion, which played a big role back in 2004 for me getting into golf in the first place, so...

I hope to never hear McCord announce a golf tournament again. It’s as bad as Jacobsen’s ‘short takes’ or whatever he called them when they were not remotely funny or entertaining. 😖

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I hope to never hear McCord announce a golf tournament again. It’s as bad as Jacobsen’s ‘short takes’ or whatever he called them when they were not remotely funny or entertaining. 😖

In summer 2004, my then-roommate was playing golf on the Xbox, and McCord / Feherty were announcing.  Overhearing the commentary got me interested in golf in the first place, so they have a special place in my heart.  I also enjoy their sense of humor.

But then again, I used to enjoy it in the NFL when a team's ground game was getting nowhere and a commentator would reference the Battle of Verdun.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Another thing that sucks about this is that Fox essentially had all-day coverage of the US Open, between FS1 and Fox itself. I'd imagine NBC is not going to keep that, unfortunately. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

In summer 2004, my then-roommate was playing golf on the Xbox, and McCord / Feherty were announcing.  Overhearing the commentary got me interested in golf in the first place, so they have a special place in my heart.  I also enjoy their sense of humor.

But then again, I used to enjoy it in the NFL when a team's ground game was getting nowhere and a commentator would reference the Battle of Verdun.

Those two on that version or those few versions of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour video games were better than when they would do actual golf tournaments. IMO.

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 minute ago, jamo said:

Those two on that version or those few versions of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour video games were better than when they would do actual golf tournaments. IMO.

For sure.  The game in question was the 2004 Xbox version.

-- Michael | My swing! 

17 minutes ago, Shindig said:

For sure.  The game in question was the 2004 Xbox version.

04, 05, and 14 were my favorites.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

I dint think so. ESPN is ABC. They had a separate contract for those rounds. I think we might see them on Golf Channel (NBC).

I think you’re right. ESPN has the first two rounds of the PGA and Masters. They used to share the US Open with NBC but that was with the old contract. Looks like TGC will air the first two rounds.

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Another thing that sucks about this is that Fox essentially had all-day coverage of the US Open, between FS1 and Fox itself. I'd imagine NBC is not going to keep that, unfortunately. 

TGC/NBC does all day coverage with the Open Championship so I would imagine they’d do it with the US Open as well.

Edited by ChrisP

I hope someone does a study comparing the number of golf shots per hour that each network shows in their respective coverage.

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I long for the good old days, 1950's-60's, Jim McKay, Jack Whitaker, Chris Schenkel, Ken Venturi, Pat Summerall, ..., where they say in a hushed tone, "He's lining up his putt, and then....SILENCE for the next 30 seconds...I can't stand golf commentary these days. They just need to hear themselves talk non-stop.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Note: This thread is 1391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!