IGNORED

40 to 60 Yard Pitch Mostly Always Left

Note: This thread is 1384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have good distance controll with those low pitch shots, but left is a consistant miss for me. Any drills, tricks or magic to get me straight w/o posting a video? If I'm looking a couple feet right of the pin, I'm missing 5' left. I usually pick it clean with a decending strike.

Thanks

I do this a lot and have narrowed it down to 2 common faults. 1, my shoulders are not turning enough and 2, my left wrist gets too cupped.

David

1 hour ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I have good distance controll with those low pitch shots, but left is a consistant miss for me. Any drills, tricks or magic to get me straight w/o posting a video? If I'm looking a couple feet right of the pin, I'm missing 5' left. I usually pick it clean with a decending strike.

Thanks

Do your usual set up....then right before you’d take your shot...stop. Set down a stick or a club, walk behind and see where your club face is pointing.

There’s a good chance that if you’re aimed properly you’re taking the club out to in like a bunker shot and slightly closing your face prior to impact and pulling your shot left.

This would work great in wet grass so you could see your brush mark and maybe see if you in fact changed your face from its original alignment.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

If I'm looking a couple feet right of the pin, I'm missing 5' left. I usually pick it clean with a decending strike.

Thanks

Another thought.. you could be pulling left more than usual as half shots can get a bit armsy since hips don't open as much through impact, especially if you are picking it. 

Solution? IDK try flaring open your front door at address. I think it helps in keeping clubface moving without rolling it shut.  Alternatively, I have seen a few players 'hold' clubface open or square to target through impact with success with an open stance. Like Lee Trevino.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

16 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Thanks

Are you using a pitching motion or partial wedge shot motion. I tend to pull partial wedges and for me it was an alignment issue. I switched my set up to aim the face first, then align my feet. I use a point about a foot in front of the ball to aim the face at. For pitching motion, same set up.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Controlling target aim is nothing more than club position at impact.
The ball will travel in the direction of which it is struck by the club, which is controlled by club path during a swing.
Correcting the club path during situations such as half shots, chipping or pitching will lead to better results at target.
Then getting the proper distance is a matter of club head speed and/or club being used.
Different lofts results in different lengths along with carry and roll out.
A player needs to determine which situation will require a higher skilled play or use a simpler means according to their ability. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I messed around with it on the range. Tried the head cover under the arm thing but that was no help. It feels like i'm going straight back and straight thru but the results said otherwise. I tried more shoulder turn and that did hit it straighter, but also longer so had to relearn distance a bit. I also think I was short arming the follow through so I let the club head go more down the target line. That may have been the biggest help.

An aside. I'm on the range trying to pitch to the 50 yard marker. Six other guys out there hitting nothing but drivers, side glances at me like they were wondering why go to a range just to hit a wedge.....

Are you tall. I'm 5'11" and I tend to pull my short clubs. I've kind of given up on it and just play the pull. I set up with my right foot dropped back, shoulders square to target line, and all is good. I'm pretty deadly with it from 40 - 70 yds, so why change it? And I practice it at the range. It doesn't affect my other clubs.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• iacas changed the title to 40 to 60 Yard Pitch Mostly Always Left
  • Administrator
On 7/5/2020 at 2:34 PM, Papa Steve 55 said:

If I'm looking a couple feet right of the pin, I'm missing 5' left. I usually pick it clean with a decending strike.

You're missing from 50 yards five feet left of the flag?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/6/2020 at 10:11 AM, Club Rat said:

The ball will travel in the direction of which it is struck by the club, which is controlled by club path during a swing.

Are you saying that the balls initial direction is determined by the path and not the face?

Colin P.

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's what I thinking....I'd take that all day

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Are you saying that the balls initial direction is determined by the path and not the face?

Yeah, c'mon now @Club Rat. That's how what you wrote reads.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I really hope that isn’t what he’s saying.

Edited by Grizvok

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Lol....yeah that's horrible. that's more for a short green side chip. The 50 yard shots are ending up much wider left, on the edge or missing the green. Letting the club head go further down the line has helped. I also tried an online tip of making sure your hands are forward of the ball. 

3 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Lol....yeah that's horrible. that's more for a short green side chip. The 50 yard shots are ending up much wider left, on the edge or missing the green. Letting the club head go further down the line has helped. I also tried an online tip of making sure your hands are forward of the ball. 

If you are hitting a 40 to 60 yard pitch shot, I'm not sure that a ton of forward shaft lean is doing anything positive for you. It might even account for why you are blocking it left.

Edited by Grizvok
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I miss left, its usually because my ball position is too far forward. This causes the club head path, and face to be closing at impact. 

Just the opposite if I miss a shot right. The ball position is too far back in my stance. This causes the club path, and face to be open at impact. 

When I get the ball position correct in my stance, the club path and face are square to my intended target line. 

The ball position doesn't have to be off by much to miss the target. Especially on shorter shots. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!