IGNORED

TheraGuns and Other Percussive Therapy/Massage

iacas

• Administrator

Anyone else got a TheraGun? I just got the Pro model for my shoulder/neck issue that I've had for five years or so. I switched chiropractors (after first starting with a different one in January) and he's done a bunch of things:

• STIM (same as other chiropractor)
  • Adjustments (ditto)
  • TheraGun treatments (new)
  • Active Release (new)
  • Cupping (new)

STIM tires out the muscles so they relax.

Adjustments are just generally good for balance, etc.

TheraGun treatments are a form of massage that beats out the knots and ropey textures.

Active Release is when he'll find a knot, push hard on it (it hurts), and have me move the muscle beneath his fingers so it helps knead it out.

Cupping pulls the skin away from the muscles, which increases blood flow and aids in healing.

I'm feeling quite a bit better. What used to be a really annoying, as in every-few-minutes need to feel like I have to stretch (but could never quite get it), has become only a few times an hour, and the stretching motions required are much smaller.

Yesterday I got my TheraGun and began some treatments on my own. My new chiropractor found a point on the bottom outside of my left shoulder blade that never hurts in day-to-day life, but when he pushes on it, it's almost knee-buckling pain. He'll find knots in my shoulders, even my right shoulder, and pinch and squeeze it and ask "does this hurt?" and it almost never does. He says I'm probably used to them by now. But there are a lot of knots in there.

I'm going to commit to a percussive therapy routine a few times a day. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the different attachments. The smaller ball one really gets in there, and the cone… let's just say it's going to be awhile before I try that out. 🙂

Anyone else have a TheraGun? How about at-home STIM stuff?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Anyone else have a TheraGun? How about at-home STIM stuff?

I have a hypervolt gun. It works really well. For me, my quads and calf muscles are super tight. So I try to hit those a few times a week  

I agree, it's amazing how accustomed the body gets to certain unrelaxed positions. I remember when they finally got my upper back to relax and my shoulders started to hurt because they were stretching out. Right now it's my lats that bother me the most, and I foam roll them occasionally. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I made my own and it works great. I love it along with foam rolling

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

11 minutes ago, colin007 said:

You made a percussive massage gun? This I gotta see....

First thought that came to mind is duct taping a ball pein hammer to a jigsaw

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I use a peanut-shaped hard rubber massager for my back and sides. I roll right down the spine. It really helps me loosen knots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Basically this...

• Thumbs Up 1

Bryan A

33 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Basically this...

22 hours ago, klineka said:

First thought that came to mind is duct taping a ball peen hammer to a jigsaw

You weren't that far off....

Colin P.

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

You weren't that far off....

Nope. He was very close. It works great and really cheap, comparatively speaking.

Bryan A

• Administrator

How many cycles per minute? Mine does 1750 to 2400.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/27/2020 at 9:39 AM, saevel25 said:

I have a hypervolt gun. It works really well.

My cousin loaned me his for a couple of months earlier this year. It's a beast. Absolutely loved it. I hear the new plus version is....well, more plus. It's not cheap but worth it. 

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Loving my TheraGun so far. The shoulders, it can be a little bit awkward to get to them sometimes, but I've found some sore spots that I will just hammer ("hurts so good!") with the thing that, day-to-day, I don't even notice a sore spot or a knot or anything. But the TheraGun will find them.

I'm using the smaller, rounded attachment currently. I've heard the wedge can be good too.

I like the prong attachment, and the bullet attachment. Certain spots on the back can be tricky to get. I do have a massage peanut roller that I lay on for the middle of the back. I also have a massage stick that I can roll up and down my lower back. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, iacas said:

Loving my TheraGun so far. The shoulders, it can be a little bit awkward to get to them sometimes, but I've found some sore spots that I will just hammer ("hurts so good!") with the thing that, day-to-day, I don't even notice a sore spot or a knot or anything. But the TheraGun will find them.

I'm using the smaller, rounded attachment currently. I've heard the wedge can be good too.

I have a TheraGun knockoff; KRAFT. Have had it for two years now. It is quiet (60dba); has three speeds 1800, 2100, 2400 - I usually use 1800 with the ball attachment. Once a day minimum I use it all over - well what I can reach - soles of my feet, calf muscles, front and back of upper legs, glutes, upper back - particularly the area between neck and shoulder and about 6 inches down. I will also take it to the course and use on the upper back - as that tends to tighten up during the round.

Here is a youtube video by Bob & Brad (Physical Therapists) - they post lots of helpful videos. 

Edited by MiuraMan
Add additional info

• 1 year later...

I bought a theragun elite this week and I am flat-out loving it. I don't use it on my front shoulders much, but it's awesome on my legs, glutes and back. My mid and upper back (which I guess technically are shoulders) has a lot of knots/myofascial dysfunction, etc. so it's hugely helpful there, especially considering how active I am these days (knock on wood). 

I have a TENS machine too, but I only really use that to kill shoulder pain. Works sometimes. Haven't needed to use it since April. 

Dry needling, acupuncture, cupping, massage, ice/heat, cardio, rehab, prehab, weight lifting, nutrition, adequate water, vitamin supplements, good sleep... it's all part of my daily life now. Really glad to have a solid system in place for keeping me healthy and pain free for golf.

I guess the next frontier for me is looking into cryotherapy. But yea. Loving my theragun. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

I am still a big fan of my massage gun. Mostly, I use it on my lower back, shoulder blade area, and neck. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag