IGNORED

Is 3 Minutes Too Short to Search for a Ball?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Search Time  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the time to search for a ball under the Rules of Golf:

• 3 minutes is the perfect amount of time.
    • They should go back to 5 minutes.
    • It should be even shorter than 3 minutes.

• Administrator

On another forum, members were talking about how, because of the ball lost during the U.S. Open on Sunday, many decided 3 minutes is too little and they should go back to 5 minutes.

Part of their argument was that because you have only three minutes to search now, people help search first, instead of hitting and then searching.

I don't know if I'm for that, and I'm against going back to five minutes. Few balls found in 3 minutes are found in minutes 4 and 5, and it does speed up play. Particularly casual play. In tournaments, hit a provisional. Yes, occasionally a ball is lost when it shouldn't be, but those situations are rare.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes is plenty of time.  When you land one in the hay, or even worse the leaves, you could spend half an hour and still not find it.  Take your medicine and move on.  Yeah...it stinks...but that's what you get for hitting it crooked.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Call me a cicada, cuz I’m gonna climb up a tree and scream!

I want my 5 minutes!!!

• I don’t have spotters
  • I don’t have practice rounds or caddies to help
  • I don’t even lose many balls anymore

5 min side won 20-14, is that a lot based on a survey of 36. Is that enough of a sample size?

(I’m not overly serious as I hit the ball much better than before. I do however have a problem with my ball disappearing right off the fairway)

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

5 min side won 20-14, is that a lot based on a survey of 36. Is that enough of a sample size?

3 minutes won.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

(I’m not overly serious as I hit the ball much better than before. I do however have a problem with my ball disappearing right off the fairway)

I heard that.

• Administrator
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmorning-read-brightspo

Reduction to 3 minutes for a lost ball leads to unintended consequences, and tapping down spike marks creates a bad look

Oh yes, and I'd read that article, too.

3 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Sorry, mis-typed. 

Point stands

What point is that? That you lose a lot of balls? 🙂

2 minutes ago, iacas said:
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmorning-read-brightspo

Reduction to 3 minutes for a lost ball leads to unintended consequences, and tapping...

What point is that? That you lose a lot of balls? 🙂

No, that problem has largely vanished. Can still rear it’s head on courses I don’t really know yet (looking in wrong spot)

However, the article you attached made better arguments than my actual arguments

• Administrator
Just now, Slim_Pivot said:

However, the article you attached made better arguments than my actual arguments

I disagree.

Harris English lost a ball? Oh pooh.

"The problem with cutting two minutes from a lost-ball search is that it affects competitions without fans or marshals."

Awwww, shucks. I don't consider that much of an argument. Watch where your ball goes, or hit a provisional.

"Pretty soon, there’s at least one provisional hit every third hole." Uh huh. Sure.

"Did the USGA conduct a study on how long it takes to find a 300-plus-yard drive in the rough, or do any research on how often lost balls were found in Minutes 4 and 5? Not to my knowledge."

They did.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I disagree.

Harris English lost a ball? Oh pooh.

"The problem with cutting two minutes from a lost-ball search is that it affects competitions without fans or marshals."

Awwww, shucks. I don't consider that much of an argument. Watch where your ball goes, or hit a provisional.

"Pretty soon, there’s at least one provisional hit every third hole." Uh huh. Sure.

"Did the USGA conduct a study on how long it takes to find a 300-plus-yard drive in the rough, or do any research on how often lost balls were found in Minutes 4 and 5? Not to my knowledge."

They did.

Did you like my argument better then?

I voted back to 5, but I don’t feel too strongly about it. I know I’ve found a couple of my own balls after my 3 minutes was up by chance. There are also times I’ll give up on a ball well before 3 minutes based on where I thought it ended up or for pace of play reasons.

From my experience, I don’t see much difference in pace of play during casual rounds. I don’t think most people out there are playing completely by the rules, including the time allowed for a search. People who take too long looking for balls are still doing it.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Did you like my argument better then?

Nah.

Hell, make it two minutes. 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes is fine. Then again if no one is behind you, take an extra 30 seconds. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I voted to push it even shorter. Crazy PoP guy, so its the only option for me 😁. 3 is a large improvement over 5 though, so I won't complain too much for now.

Now if we could just get them to change the 40 second per shot to 20 seconds.....

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

And the number of the minutes shall be three, no more, no less.

B2EEB3C9-D52C-402E-933E-4925939805FC.jpeg

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I hit into a downed elm tree last week (marked ground under repair) on the left side of the fairway and my group saw my ball go into the branches. My partner parked his cart to the right of the tree and got out on the left side to help search. After about 2 minutes of wading through the area I started getting pissed and drove in a circle around the area to cover ground quickly and then saw my ball in the fairway just 2 feet right of my partner's cart (ball was muddy so not an obvious white orb). I figured it was close to 3 minutes but not more. My partners all agreed it was under 3 minutes. Since no one had a watch or bothered to put the clock on, what is the ruling? 

Edited by TourSpoon
sp

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Even though everyone knows that I’m militant about pace of play, I think 3 minutes is too short.  I’d go back to 5 minutes.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'll admit, I've never timed a search, so I don't have data about the impact of the rule change.  But I do know that we're made an effort to terminate a search earlier than we once would have, so that's positive.  I don't have a real problem knowing that during the COVID times, the Tour professionals will have difficulties similar to mine when they hit errant shots, I have very little sympathy.  If you want to find it, hit it where there's short grass.  

There's no "right" answer, but I'm fine with 3 minutes.  I don't think that too much shorter is appropriate, and I wouldn't recommend going back to 5 minutes. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 1302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!