IGNORED

What Driver Will I Be Purchasing?

Note: This thread is 949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With the 2020 season ending for most, it may be time for a driver change. My swing speed is in the low 90's and my hc is 14.2 . Right now I am playing a Callaway XR16, which is approaching 5 yo now, and I think the technology is such that I could benefit from an upgrade. My biggest consideration is dispersion, as distance is only good when the ball is playable, and much more playable in the fairway. My considerations include:

Mavik Max

B21

Ping G410 Plus

Ping G425 Max 

I am curious to what others have to say about these drivers and whether you are considering a new driver purchase yourself.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bought the b21 about a month ago and love it. At the store it gave me the best consistent spin numbers compared to the Sim and Mav maxs. Im a reformed slice which I cured 10 years ago. My big miss with my M 2 was a push to fade that would creep in once or twice a round. With the b21 lower spin my push shots wouldn't fade as bad or even become some really nice draw back to fairway shots. Which ever way you go with it really helps to get fitted so you get the right head shaft combo. I have the stock light 45 shaft that on the monitor and real life gave me a lot better dispersion and ball speed over the regular shafts. 

Edited by Edsland

Pretty much any driver made right now is going to be really good. The best thing you could do is go get fit, but if you don't want to or can't do that, I would at least go and try hitting them all on your own and seeing if any stand out above the rest.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

• iacas changed the title to What Driver Will I Be Purchasing?
  • 2 months later...

As I have said on many posts, I'm 69 and have had three back surgeries. My swing speed has suffered, 85 MPH at my best. I was told I needed a higher loft and a senior shaft. The recommended driver for me  was the Wilson Staff 13* with the senior shaft so I bought one. I have only had the chance to hit it at the range, feels good, dispersion is good but I can't tell distance because I'm hitting range balls in the cold. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can get out on the course and try it out. 

Unfortunately Wilson Staff is not sold in any store by me so I was not able to hit it on a monitor. I'm thinking of taking it to a Dicks by me and trying it against other drivers but that feels like cheating given I'm not in the market for a new driver. Would that be a dishonest thing to do?

42 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Unfortunately Wilson Staff is not sold in any store by me so I was not able to hit it on a monitor. I'm thinking of taking it to a Dicks by me and trying it against other drivers but that feels like cheating given I'm not in the market for a new driver. Would that be a dishonest thing to do?

Unfortunately it would, But' why not say you want to compare your Wilson with all drivers to see if you could do better? Your then in a quandary if you do will you buy or not, it's only money right!! I've changed shafts in my fav r7 from stiff to regular. I've also bought a Epic sz 9* because the lower loft works better for me, why don't know lol....

3 hours ago, cooke119 said:

As I have said on many posts, I'm 69 and have had three back surgeries. My swing speed has suffered, 85 MPH at my best. I was told I needed a higher loft and a senior shaft. The recommended driver for me  was the Wilson Staff 13* with the senior shaft so I bought one. I have only had the chance to hit it at the range, feels good, dispersion is good but I can't tell distance because I'm hitting range balls in the cold. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can get out on the course and try it out. 

I don't think that's dishonest at all. The Dicks by me is so desperate to actually have people in the store they will let you come hit anything you want. Just tell them the truth. You like your driver and you want to compare it to other models. You never know you may find something you like better. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

22 hours ago, Colins69 said:

Unfortunately it would, But' why not say you want to compare your Wilson with all drivers to see if you could do better? Your then in a quandary if you do will you buy or not, it's only money right!! I've changed shafts in my fav r7 from stiff to regular. I've also bought a Epic sz 9* because the lower loft works better for me, why don't know lol....

That is an idea, maybe I'll do that.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 4:46 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I don't think that's dishonest at all. The Dicks by me is so desperate to actually have people in the store they will let you come hit anything you want. Just tell them the truth. You like your driver and you want to compare it to other models. You never know you may find something you like better. 

I did that at an Austads.   Told them I needed to see if a different set up could help me out from what I had.   Tried 6-7 different driver/shaft combinations and they told be they could only gain me about 5 yards and cost me about $500.00.  So I bought a box of balls.......  

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

A new driver isn't necessarily the answer. Getting fitted is.  And that includes the ball. Most modern driver heads are fairly similar.  The shaft is what matters more since that is the engine of the club. Additionally, how your club reacts to the ball you game matters.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

4 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

A new driver isn't necessarily the answer. Getting fitted is.  And that includes the ball. Most modern driver heads are fairly similar.  The shaft is what matters more since that is the engine of the club. Additionally, how your club reacts to the ball you game matters.

2 hours ago, LarryEdwards said:

Go hit the Sim2 Max. After your first swing you’ll know what driver to get. P.S. the G425 is ok, I just can’t stand the sound. 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:40 PM, weil2020 said:

I will select Ping G425 Max

I've got three words for you. ... COBRA RAD SPEED DRIVER........

Get it in Blue and Red. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The Mav Max is a great driver that can be purchased at a reasonable price.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

12 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I’ve advised my golfing mates to change the heads because they like their shafts but want a little more pop, well worked for me...

16 hours ago, Billy Z said:

The Mav Max is a great driver that can be purchased at a reasonable price.

Yeah I have that. I’ve been really satisfied with it. But I’m not a bomber at all. I average about 230-40 carry.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!