IGNORED

National Anthems Before Sporting Events

iacas
Note: This thread is 1023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

National Anthem at Sporting Events  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the national anthem be played before all sporting events?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator
AP21042032029288.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Texas lawmakers passed a bill Tuesday that will penalize professional sports teams if do not play the national anthem before games.

I'll be honest: I don't remember a time before when the national anthem wasn't played before sporting events. I was taught to take off my hat, put my hand over my heart and respectfully listen. Or hum or sing along perhaps.

Nowadays people don't always all stand, many (most?) don't take their hats off, etc.

When something that's supposed to inspire patriotism, etc. just becomes "something you have to get through" I think it's time to make it more special again.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why should the national anthem be played before sports within a country? If you say it's traditional, then fine, but is it appropriate and necessary?

I can see why it would be played before international competitions between teams when those teams represent countries, not individuals - when they are playing "for" France or Sweden or whoever.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 hour ago, iacas said:
AP21042032029288.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Texas lawmakers passed a bill Tuesday that will penalize professional...

I'll be honest: I don't remember a time before when the national anthem wasn't played before sporting events. I was taught to take off my hat, put my hand over my heart and respectfully listen. Or hum or sing along perhaps.

Nowadays people don't always all stand, many (most?) don't take their hats off, etc.

When something that's supposed to inspire patriotism, etc. just becomes "something you have to get through" I think it's time to make it more special again.

I thought it never had anything to do with patriotism and everything to do with trying to add a sense of gravity to the event. Clever marketing by professional sports leagues basically.

Edited by measureoffsetinnm

I can't remember a sporting event that didn't play the national anthem.    I feel a sense of pride when I hear the national anthem.  I think of all of the men and women that have served or are serving and feel thankful for their service.   

Am I programmed to this response?  Maybe since I've also quoted the pledge of allegiance in school. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Sporting events are a form of 'going to battle', so to speak, and teams are very patriotic to their respected territories. 

Ted Turner - "Sports is like a war without the killing. The two most powerful warriors are patience and time. The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

All sports, especially professional sports, are more than just a game, they are for bragging rights, proving who rules. So to think the national anthem is not needed because it's not that important, I have to disagree. I like the National Anthem played at games, it reminds me of what is really important, we are all still one despite winning or losing.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Sporting events are a form of 'going to battle', so to speak, and teams are very patriotic to their respected territories.

No, and American-based NHL teams playing another American-based NHL team often play only the U.S. National anthem. If a Canadian team is playing, they play both usually. Despite the fact that Canadians and Europeans are almost always playing.

And calling a sporting event a "battle" belittles or diminishes actual battles (as in war).

https://www.si.com/sports-illustrated/video/2020/06/08/national-anthem-sporting-event

I love America and I support the troops. But playing the "Star Spangled Banner" before every game isn't patriotism, its joyless conformity.
  • I love America, I support the troops, and I want sports teams to stop playing the national anthem before every game.
  • It's not an act of genuine patriotism, it's a ritual of joyless conformity.
  • End the obligatory performances and shame-enforced head-bowing. For the love of America, make the "Star Spangled Banner" mean something again. 
3402ea80-a775-11ea-9efb-d82a031aaa48

An emotional NWSL image from the weekend has reminded us that anthem protests are powerful, but also an unfair burden.

You can find others supporting the idea.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

And calling a sporting event a "battle" belittles or diminishes actual battles (as in war).

Some games such as football and hockey do seem like they would be pretty terrifying to play and there is the obvious analogue between modern "violent" sports such as those and Roman gladiatorial "games" that were more or less actual battle but I agree that outside of these very loose comparisons it is problematic to equate the two for a multitude of reasons.

Speaking from perspective of former armed forces calling a sporting event a battle does nothing to diminish or belittle the courageous actions our service people make. And it’s not upsetting to hear the play on words in a sporting context to describe the type intensity unfolding. And nobody thinks it’s literal comparison between the two. SMH. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I voted no. It should be played for special events, but not every game. It’s importance has been diminished because it’s become a marketing tool. The sports teams didn’t even require players to be on the field for the anthem. It needs to be special again. I also think some people use it for a phony brand of “I’m better than you” patriotism. 

The Pledge of Allegiance was originally written without just the US named at all. Later words were added to make it specific to the USA. It became a marketing tool to sell flags. Now it’s become a forced ritual that can become contentious. The words “under God” we’re added in the 1954 during the McCarthyism era. It is no longer special. Plus, I would rather ‘flag’ be replaced with The Constitution of The United States of America. That would be more meaningful to me. That is the bedrock of our democracy and the basis for all that we do as a nation.

The same with the word hero. Not everyone is a hero. Not everyone who enlists in the military, Police Forces, Fire Departments, etc. is a hero. Calling everyone a hero diminishes those that are real hero’s.

I was a life guard. Am I a hero? I did rescue a man who was drowning in a pool in Cincinnati back in 1982. Maybe I did something heroic for a minute but it was just instinct from training and teaching lifesaving. We’ve diluted the meaning of the word.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I voted no. Mainly for all the reasons already mentioned. They shouldn't have to do it if they don't want and I don't have to watch any of it either.  The numbers are showing a growing number are choosing to do the same.  It has always meant something to me. 

Edited by cipher
  • Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I voted no. I really dislike that the anthem is played at all sporting events:

1. It cheapens the anthem. It should be more special than it is. Do on holidays, holiday weekends, etc., when we should be celebrating the country. 
  2. Forced patriotism is not patriotism.
  3. My biggest problem is that it makes it seem too easy to be patriotic. Standing and taking off your hot for the national anthem does not make you patriotic. What makes you patriotic is sacrificing for your fellow men. Serving in the military, public or community service, etc. is patriotic. Playing the national anthem at all sporting events is not patriotic. 
Edited by DeadMan
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

This is what happens when the flag is raised and lowered each day on a Marine Base.  No adults on hand.  Just well raised, respectful kids.

The National Anthem is played, not only before sporting events and ceremonies, but even before movies are shown in a theater.

It saddens me that people are so wrapped up in their own little worlds these days that they somehow look for more reasons not to celebrate this country, than to do so.

Tomorrow I’ll post my annual Memorial Day message yet again.  No, you won’t be forced to read it, but by God, it’s being posted nonetheless.  Out of respect for others.  Not for me or you.

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

This is what happens when the flag is raised and lowered each day on a Marine Base.  No adults on hand.  Just well raised, respectful kids.

The National Anthem is played, not only before sporting events and ceremonies, but even before movies are shown in a theater.

It saddens me that people are so wrapped up in their own little worlds these days that they somehow look for more reasons not to celebrate this country, than to do so.

Tomorrow I’ll post my annual Memorial Day message yet again.  No, you won’t be forced to read it, but by God, it’s being posted nonetheless.  Out of respect for others.  Not for me or you.

Great post David! I just don't hear the national anthem so many times that I get tired of it. Even on baseball game broadcasts there are always advertising during the national anthem. When a person says they hear it so much that they are getting tired of it, I wonder where they are hearing it so often? If a person hears it once a week, say, that's too much?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I voted yes.  It’s the same as saying grace or thanking someone who serves/served in the military.   It’s a small gesture to appreciate something greater than yourself.   Don’t mind if other people don’t participate or stand.  Doesn’t make them bad people, it’s just not their thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

—Adam

Voted no, for all the reasons already stated.

• Upvote 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I'm saying this as someone who takes his hat off, holds his hand over his heart, and stares at the flag mostly during the national anthems played before sporting events: making people stand through a song doesn't "celebrate" this country.

As @DeadMan and others above said, forced patriotism isn't patriotism, and when you make patriotism a "chore" to the point where you can get a prop bet on the duration of the national anthem (I think under/over is generally 2:30), it's not "celebrating the country."

As I said, I do what you're supposed to do during the national anthem, but very rarely if ever would you call that "celebrating this country."

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Out of respect for others.  Not for me or you.

Irony be like…

over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't get to a lot of live sports events, a couple of hockey games if I'm lucky, and maybe a half-dozen baseball games in a typical year.  I always appreciate the "formality" of it (I'm not sure that's the best word, its be best I can do right now).  Its a break between the random wandering before the game, getting a beverage, a bag of peanuts, whatever, and the beginning of the game.  And I'm one who does pay attention, like @iacas, remove my hat, listen respectfully.  So I like it, I hope it continues.

On the other hand, it doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.  There has certainly been enough controversy over players who choose to take that moment to highlight problems they see in our country.  To me, that's not disrespecting the country, its trying to bring attention to a problem in the hopes of making the country better.  But others see it as disrespect.  So the mere playing of the anthem does at times divide us based on different reactions to it.  I understand that Mark Cuban's decision to stop playing the anthem was based at least in part on minimizing the potential divisiveness.    

I agree with others that forcing its playing diminishes to some extent its impact.  I remember reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in grade school every day, and it had absolutely no importance to me, it was just saying some words.  I'd hate to see the playing of the anthem fall to that same level, just something we have to get through before the actual fun starts. 

I voted yes, personally, selfishly, I like hearing the anthem before every game.  But I understand reasons to choose not to play it.  And I don't think its really appropriate for governments to enact laws requiring it.  I'll stop here, my next thoughts would be getting into political issues.  This topic brings us close to that line, and I think everyone has stayed on the non-political side of that line so far.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm saying this as someone who takes his hat off, holds his hand over his heart, and stares at the flag mostly during the national anthems played before sporting events: making people stand through a song doesn't "celebrate" this country.

As @DeadMan and others above said, forced patriotism isn't patriotism, and when you make patriotism a "chore" to the point where you can get a prop bet on the duration of the national anthem (I think under/over is generally 2:30), it's not "celebrating the country."

As I said, I do what you're supposed to do during the national anthem, but very rarely if ever would you call that "celebrating this country."

Irony be like…

over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

Playing the anthem isn’t “making someone stand”.

As to the respect issues, I’m talking about the Marines, soldiers and sailors with whom I’ve served, and those who died.  

Happy Memorial Day.  Please remember the reason you’re grilling out this weekend.  

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!