IGNORED

"Full Swing" Tour Docuseries on Netflix

iacas

I am about 6 or 7 episodes in. Random thoughts.

1.  I am a bigger fan of the style chosen by the Match Point rather than Full Swing. Match Point centers around the events (Australian Open, Indian Wells, Madrid, etc) and lets us learn about the players rather than Full Swing which does the opposite. This avoids the replaying of events over and over again. So far I think I have watched poor Mito hit it in the water on 18 of the PGA 2 or 3 times now. I would have rather they set the scene once and not made us go over it again and again. 
  2. I agree with @sjduffers. Ian Poulter is not a bad guy. Selfish, yes, but after watching Match Point some of the tennis players say that if you are not selfish in an individual sport you are likely going to struggle. So I can understand his view.
  3. Brooks made the decision to join LIV based on his poor play at the moment. I think he will regret that decision. The older Europeans make sense. Get one last pay day.
    1. a. I think Brooks is a bigger jerk than Poulter.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess he had an NDA that prevented him from sharing anything in the past, but he has started to share a few pictures from working on Full Swing. Here is a picture of my cousin-in-law working at The Country Club in Brookline. 

332344289_653330156563133_1166786357536715186_n.jpg

Edited by The Flush
  • Thumbs Up 3

War Eagle!

After having watched the whole thing, I would say it was pretty good. Some episodes I liked better than others (Brooks, Finau and Joel D). Didn't like the Poulter one. The thing I kind of got from it was they started to show some things that got me interested (Jordan shooting the commercial, Joel D's caddy talking about $ etc.) but they just sort of moved past it quickly unfortunately. I wish there was a little bit more of that kind of content. BTW....what's with the swing in Brooks Koepka's bedroom? Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I am 5 episodes in now. I am enjoying it. I think it's good, but not great. Some random thoughts:

• I'm out on DJ. I appreciate his honesty with taking the LIV money. Everything else, meh. I'm calling bs on him having scholarship offers for 3 sports. That jump shot of his was straight garbage. I have better form, and I'm a terrible shooter. A lot of the reasons he gave for going to LIV were utter bs. Not missing his kid's birthdays - unless they're during majors, he doesn't have to be playing during his kids' birthdays. He will have way less flexibility with LIV, that's for sure. I would also honestly say I would turn down more money for less work if the new boss was going to be horrible. If you've had a bad boss, you know how miserable that can be. Just not a lot of thought in that family.
  • I wasn't buying Brooks' crisis of confidence for a long time during the episode. At the end, I think I did buy it. I honestly thought at first that it was just some storyline he was playing into, but the last couple of scenes changed my mind. It was interesting that my perspective shifted that much during the episode.
  • Poulter ... no thank you. Comes off as exceedingly out of touch with the size of that closet to go along with going to LIV to secure his family's future. Either his family's future is already secure or his family's future isn't secure because of his spending habits. 
  • I enjoyed learning more about Fitzgerald and Dahmen. Definitely going to be cheering for them more now.
  • Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I would also honestly say I would turn down more money for less work if the new boss was going to be horrible.

That one stood out to me. "There's something wrong with you." Nah, dude.

40 minutes ago, DeadMan said:
  • I wasn't buying Brooks' crisis of confidence for a long time during the episode. At the end, I think I did buy it. I honestly thought at first that it was just some storyline he was playing into, but the last couple of scenes changed my mind. It was interesting that my perspective shifted that much during the episode.

I had a similar arc, I think. Brooks has basically lied about so much for so long…

• Poulter ... no thank you. Comes off as exceedingly out of touch with the size of that closet to go along with going to LIV to secure his family's future. Either his family's future is already secure or his family's future isn't secure because of his spending habits.

Yep. PJs everywhere, too, is expensive. Especially overseas.

• I enjoyed learning more about Fitzgerald and Dahmen. Definitely going to be cheering for them more now.

I'm watching the Finau/Morikawa one now. It's funny some of the cuts they make from Tony's dented garage door to Collin's designer dog with booties sitting on yet another private jet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/15/2023 at 10:27 AM, jmanbooyaa said:

I enjoyed the Dahmen episode. Still watching. 

Yes, I had never heard of him. Now I think I have a new favorite golfer.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:19 PM, iacas said:

Brooks Koepka shows poorly (and cries), etc.

Yes, he looked horrible and how did his hair go from bleach blonde to dark? It was like back and forth/back and forth about every day. I didn't know coloring could work like that.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:07 PM, mchepp said:

Ian Poulter is not a bad guy.

Seems like he has a great family and there is a lot of love and happiness there.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:23 AM, Bucki1968 said:

BTW....what's with the swing in Brooks Koepka's bedroom? Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Ha ha. I am sure his wife picked that out. I really felt sorry for him when he was sitting there watching his wife do a little fashion show for him. 

I give the Brooks ep a solid par. Reason being his frail ego showed and gave a pretty good indication why left for Liv. He said he cannot compete with these guys each week. No wonder he cashed in. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

23 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I give the Brooks ep a solid par. Reason being his frail ego showed and gave a pretty good indication why left for Liv. He said he cannot compete with these guys each week. No wonder he cashed in. 

From an informative standpoint I'd agree about Koepka. It also served to bolster my negative opinion of the guy. Just says dumb stuff. Zero personality.

Though I still dislike Poulter he seems to be a good family guy. So he gets a few points. But what really irks me about any of these LIV guys like Poulter that have already earned a boatload, is when they say they are doing it for their family. Such crap. 

Dahmen... Love the guy! Funny and good personality. But how can a guy with such low confidence even be out there? He's obviously incredibly talented despite what's going on between his ears.

Scheffler, seems like a good guy with more personality than I thought. 

YJS and JT... No surprises there, I always root for them. 

Overall thus far I'm enjoying the series more than I thought. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

40 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Though I still dislike Poulter he seems to be a good family guy. So he gets a few points. But what really irks me about any of these LIV guys like Poulter that have already earned a boatload, is when they say they are doing it for their family. Such crap. 

I mean just because they've already earned a boatload of money doesn't mean they don't want more money for their family. For someone who has already earned more money than they will ever spend in their lives, any money they got from LIV would in theory be going to their family once they pass away, so in a sense yeah they are doing it for their family.

Their family doesn't NEED it, but it's still going to benefit the family.

43 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Dahmen... Love the guy! Funny and good personality. But how can a guy with such low confidence even be out there? 

Because he's really really really freaking good at golf. And the mental game doesn't play nearly as big of a role in golfer's success as people think. 

44 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Scheffler, seems like a good guy with more personality than I thought. 

What makes you think that? He walked down a sidewalk drinking a coffee. That doesn't exactly scream Mr. Personality to me. If anything this further reinforced my thoughts that he doesn't have much of a personality and is basically a regular, vanilla dude.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

18 minutes ago, klineka said:

I mean just because they've already earned a boatload of money doesn't mean they don't want more money for their family. For someone who has already earned more money than they will ever spend in their lives, any money they got from LIV would in theory be going to their family once they pass away, so in a sense yeah they are doing it for their family.

Their family doesn't NEED it, but it's still going to benefit the family.

Because he's really really really freaking good at golf. And the mental game doesn't play nearly as big of a role in golfer's success as people think. 

What makes you think that? He walked down a sidewalk drinking a coffee. That doesn't exactly scream Mr. Personality to me. If anything this further reinforced my thoughts that he doesn't have much of a personality and is basically a regular, vanilla dude.

Selling your soul to the King of a brutal regime is not honorable.  Poulter, like most of these LIV defectors have destroyed their legacies.  I'd vigorously argue that the best gift a parent can give their children isn't 10's of millions of inheritance, but rather give them the life skills to make their own success.  Providing an even "larger" inheritance isn't necessarily going to help them with that.  God I hate the excuse of "Generational Wealth." 

1 minute ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Selling your soul to the King of a brutal regime is not honorable. 

I never said it was honorable.

1 minute ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Poulter, like most of these LIV defectors have destroyed their legacies.  

That has nothing to do with wanting more money for his family.

5 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'd vigorously argue that the best gift a parent can give their children isn't 10's of millions of inheritance, but rather give them the life skills to make their own success.

Just because a parent leaves 10s of millions in inheritance doesn't mean a parent can't also teach their children life skills. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

And just because you think that is the best gift a parent can give doesn't mean other parents think the same way.

6 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

God I hate the excuse of "Generational Wealth." 

Why? 

• Like 1

I am not sure I agree with the take that is is bad to want to leave your family generational wealth. What is the saying the child doesn’t represent the sins of the father. If they truly ruined their legacy for the betterment of the family. Than i cannot fault him. But own it. Take the heat and all that comes with the decision. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Just because a parent leaves 10s of millions in inheritance doesn't mean a parent can't also teach their children life skills. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

And just because you think that is the best gift a parent can give doesn't mean other parents think the same way.

Why? 

Building Generational Wealth is a tired excuse. While in actuality they've become a pet of a brutal King for his sportswashing game along with Norman's effort to destroy the PGAT.

I have no problem with competition against the PGAT, but when the competition is fully funded by a government with effectively unlimited cash and have no real need to build something that is financially sustainable on it's own, then there in lies the problem. 

Why? Because necessity is the mother of invention and drives productivity, not having a lifetime of cash handed to you.   

As for your comments regarding mine about Scheffler, I didn't even see the coffee. I obviously see different things in the guy than you.

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

While in actuality they've become a pet of a brutal King for his sportswashing game along with Norman's effort to destroy the PGAT.

And in actuality they've also set their families up with financial stability for decades, which is the reasoning that some of them gave as to why they went to LIV.

Both your statement and my statement are true.

You don't have to agree with their reasoning, but their reasoning is accurate, not "crap", and it doesn't necessarily mean their children won't be taught life skills to make their own successes.

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

As for your comments regarding mine about Scheffler, I didn't even see the coffee. I obviously see different things in the guy than you.

Ok so what exactly did you see in the show that showed he has more personality than you thought?

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Selling your soul to the King of a brutal regime is not honorable.  Poulter, like most of these LIV defectors have destroyed their legacies.  I'd vigorously argue that the best gift a parent can give their children isn't 10's of millions of inheritance, but rather give them the life skills to make their own success.  Providing an even "larger" inheritance isn't necessarily going to help them with that.  God I hate the excuse of "Generational Wealth." 

2 hours ago, klineka said:

Why? 

here is the thing, he sold his soul to get money, so his kids never have to work a day in their life.
Sounds good and all. However the fact that he prioritized this wealth from this regime, shows he has no principles. 
If he had sold one of his kids to be beheaded for generational wealth, would we say he is doing for his family?
And where does it end?
He is just teaching his kids that it doesn't matter where the money comes from, as long as they get to keep our second home and private jet.   

Show me the parent who needs that money and turns it down on principle. And that parent will raise kids who will change the world!

Of the few people I have met who came from generational wealth, none of them had any or all of:  work ethic, integrity, empathy, charity or honorability. They just want to ensure their life style was never interrupted!

• Thumbs Up 2

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Elmer said:

Show me the parent who needs that money and turns it down on principle. And that parent will raise kids who will change the world!

He won't do this, but… just go with me here:

What if he figured he could make $15M the rest of his career (a Ryder Cup captaincy can be lucrative), so he took the extra $25M and spent it to push women's rights in the middle east. Could that not result in a greater change in the world than "turning the money down on principle" and raising kids… who probably will not change the world?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, Elmer said:

here is the thing, he sold his soul to get money, so his kids never have to work a day in their life.

Which is supporting his family, which is what he stated he was doing, the exact thing that @BlackDiamondPar5 stated is "such crap".

8 hours ago, Elmer said:

He is just teaching his kids that it doesn't matter where the money comes from, as long as they get to keep our second home and private jet.   

How do you know that? How do you know he hasn't had a conversation with his age-appropriate kids about the atrocities that have taken place? 

If you're going to throw around claims like that, I can just as easily throw around a claim that yes he took the money from a regime like that, but prior to doing so he condemned the actions of the regime to his family and children and made it absolutely clear that he does not agree with those actions in any way.

8 hours ago, Elmer said:

You do realize, especially when considering how many people have ever lived on this planet, how few people have actually changed the world, right?