IGNORED

Is Rory McIlroy Washed Up? How Will He Do In 2022?

chspeed
Note: This thread is 849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How will Rory do in 2022?   

38 members have voted

1. 1. What will Rory McIlroy's performance be in 2022?

• Rory is still among the very best. He's in a slump, but will win a major.
    • Rory is still among the very best. He will win 2-3 tournaments and compete in the majors.
    • Rory is a great player. Potential to win 1 or more tournaments, but will at least be finishing top 10 multiple times throughout the year.
    • Rory is an average (or slighly above) pro at this point, he can't win tournaments, although he might get lucky once. His stats will continue to deteriorate.
    • Rory is on a steep decline. He'll keep falling hard in the OWGR in 2022 (currently 15th), and will rarely compete in tournaments.

Following a thread on the 2020 Ryder Cup topic, some people (including me) had opinions on whether Rory was washed up or not. I thought it would be fun to do a poll and see how he does in 2022.

I personally believe that Rory can still win, despite the fact some key stats have dropped in the past couple of years. He was PGA Player of the year in 2019, not that long ago. He's still one of the world's best drivers, and while he likely won't be #1 again, I believe he can still win any tournament he enters and has an outside chance of winning a major in 2022.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• chspeed changed the title to Is Rory McIlroy Washed up? How will he do it 2022?
  • phillyk changed the title to Is Rory McIlroy Washed up? How Will He do it 2022?

It is hard for me to say he is not one of the best players in the world. I mean, here is his strokes gain total over the past 5 years...

7th, 12th, 1st, 9th, 17th

3-top 10's, all 20th or above. Over the past 5 years, he's in the top 10% of PGA tour golfers in strokes gained. 

Here is his top-10 finish ranking on the PGA Tour over the past 5 years...

18th, 6th, 1st, 8th, 16th. 

I think he underperformed last year in terms of finishes with how well he was in strokes gained. He maybe overperformed in 2019. 

I would say he is just inconsistent enough to not put 4 rounds together to win as much as he wants. He's good enough to still be a threat to win each week due to his strokes gained. I think he still has the talent and ability to win multiple times each season and compete for majors. Something is just not there right now for him get over that hump. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just now, dennyjones said:

It's almost as if he hasn't recovered from trying to be like BDC.

Agree here. He needs to play his game. I think he will win again and really contend in majors.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'll chime in since I was one of the participants in the RC thread, and am on the "declining" side. I voted option four.

I already thought he was in a decline, though may still win in the future, but after the "I couldn't give a s***" comment about his individual accomplishments, I am even more in that camp. He will still play, make most cuts, a decent amount of top 20s, and a handful of top 10s, but I would have him at +2500 or worse each week for a win if I were setting the line.

I admit that it is completely possible that it is just a mini slump and he will be back on track this year, but I think it is more likely that he falls out of top 20 OWGR by the end of the 2022 fedex playoffs. To me, the only thing he needs is to "give a s***" about his individual performance and he could be right there. After that interview (and after a baby), I don't see him putting in the work to get his game back to top notch, and with the attitude he expressed in it I think his mentality isn't where it needs to be to be a top 20 player.

I'm open to all criticism of this and love that the OP made this a separate topic, because I think that it is really worth discussing.

edit*

After rereading the options, I'd put him at option 3.5. Definitely still has the potential to win one or more, but it really depends on his attitude and the work he puts in.

Edited by Bonvivant
addition
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

'Next Tiger Woods' was never a reasonable expectation. Rory never did create that level of separation even back in 2014. I don't think anyone in today's rota of superstars can. Not for a few years straight. 

Vishal S.

I don't think he'll win a major next year, but Rory can easily got on a hot streak and win a couple of tournaments. He had a bad year by his standards and still won a tournament this year. He won 4 times in 2019. He's still in his early 30s. I don't think he's washed up at all. I doubt he has a major season like 2014 again, but I would be surprised if he's doing winning.

I really enjoy watching and hearing from Rory, so I hope he bounces back.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I think Rory is in a bit of an emotional conundrum. He definitely loves this game and is one of the best out there. I think he is pretty satisfied with what he has accomplished yet maybe wishes he wanted dominance more. He doesn’t have the fire that Woods has/had. I think he enjoys it as much, but that’s different. Golf can really get to us, well a lot of us. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to Is Rory McIlroy Washed Up? How Will He Do In 2022?

He will definitely win a couple of tournaments next year, and I do believe he can win a major.  Last year and this year he has shown the game, just not managed it four days in a row.  He looks like he is finding consistency and form, which is why I reckon a major is possible

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

He will definitely win a couple of tournaments next year

How much would you be willing to bet on that?

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, iacas said:

How much would you be willing to bet on that?

I would bet on that.  He will win tournaments.  Majors is a harder bet since fields tend to be deeper there, and that bet would be a small one for me, though I do believe he can do it

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

I would bet on that.  He will win tournaments.

You said two. How many did he win this year?

How much?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like how Rory talks to the media and it seems like he pretty much tells you what he is thinking. I am speculating but I wonder how hard it is to motivate yourself when you have already done what he has done. Maybe he's become comfortable and is tired of the grind of playing on the tour(s)? Priorities change as you go through life so perhaps he's not  built like Tiger and wants to win and dominate? He looks like he's tired of it. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

17 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I like how Rory talks to the media and it seems like he pretty much tells you what he is thinking. I am speculating but I wonder how hard it is to motivate yourself when you have already done what he has done. Maybe he's become comfortable and is tired of the grind of playing on the tour(s)? Priorities change as you go through life so perhaps he's not  built like Tiger and wants to win and dominate? He looks like he's tired of it. 

No doubt that life happens, and priorities change. But I personally don't put too much weight in what athletes tell the media right after an event. Especially one they lose. Regardless, just as motivations can go down, they can go up too.

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

and that bet would be a small one for me,

Can you specify ‘small’ ?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I voted "3 - Rory is a great player. Potential to win 1 or more tournaments, but will at least be finishing top 10 multiple times throughout the year."  I considered voting #4 but did not like the "Can't win, but may get lucky" and "Stats will deteriorate".  I was not comfortable with #2 for him to get multiple wins, he would need to really need to step it up for that to happen.  The competition is strong, even in the non-majors.  He may step it up and win multiple times, and I hope he does, but I would not be putting any money on multiple wins.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Note: This thread is 849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!