IGNORED

The Worst Person With Whom You've Ever Been Paired…

ChetlovesMer

Okay, I wanted to name this thread "Biggest D-Bag You've Ever Been Paired Up With". 

I made an online tee-time for as early as I could find this morning. As it turns out there were 4 singles, including me, who all made early morning tee-times. The course paired us up. The guy in my cart was fine, but one of the other two guys was a total D-bag. He was someplace between 40 and 50 years old, hits a low fade/slice on every shot; Consistent if not powerful. That's not what made him a d-bag.

First hole is a relatively straight forward maybe 340 yard par 4, driving range on the right, OB left. The young guy (25ish?) who I had in my cart steps up and drills his drive to into the green side bunker. Now the tees were up, so it was playing short, and the guy caught the downhill slop perfectly, but still a really good drive. The rest of us say "Great drive." or "Nice shot." or what ever. This guy says (and sadly I think he believes it) "Anyone can hit a 300 yard drive. The real skill in golf is putting." I laughed because I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. It was just weird. Especially since the guy hit his first drive like 180 yards into the driving range on the right and they took "a breakfast ball" and would have done the same thing except for a tree kicked him back into play near the cart path. 

That's where it began and it didn't stop. Every hole, almost every shot he had to tell you why your shot was lucky and his was unlucky. Then he insisted on adding up and reading off the scores at the turn. BTW - I shot 44 on the front and he shot 43. Argh!!!

In addition he decided that everyone needed his coaching after every shot that wasn't exactly perfect. He started every other sentence with "You wanna..." As in "You wanna get your hands in front of the ball on that shot..." Or "You wanna swing like you're throwing a bowling ball to right field...." 

I almost pissed myself laughing when the guy in my cart turns to me as we are rolling up hole 15 and goes "Man, that guy's a real douchebag, isn't he?" "Yes, yes, he is." 

The kicker for me came on hole 17. It's a short par 3, 125 yards, crowned green, guarded by a big deep bunker in front-right. I hit fat P-wedge that didn't quite have enough to make it over the bunker. He tugged a what-ever to the far lower left of the green. After my shot he goes "You wanna take more club on this hole so you don't end up in that bunker." I said nothing. But then I holed out for a birdie with a great bunker shot. The other two guys are like "Great Shot!" This d-bag's pissed off. He starts ranting about how my shot wasn't legal and it shouldn't count as a birdie. Here's the thing. In the cart they've put a sign saying something to the effect of We're sorry we don't have staff to keep up the bunkers like we normally would. Feel free to pick your ball out of the bunker, rake the bunker and replace your ball. Which all of us have been doing the entire round. 

When I say he was pissed I mean he was pissed. He's literally stamping his feet mad. Then he goes on to blame me for his three-putt which he made after my hole out. He's ranting a bitching and going on about 2-shot penalties and what ever. I told him "Look, there's a sign in the cart. But write down what ever you want on the card. I'm just out here working on my game." There was no money on the line. We weren't playing against each other. I literally only met this guy on the first tee. I'm like "Look I don't care. Give me a two shot penalty." Then he says "Fine! I'll write down a 2 if you're going to be that way about it." I'm thinking "What way?" 

The entire 18th hole he won't let it go. He keeps talking about my illegal birdie. I'm thinking "What does he care?" 

After the 18th, he grabs his bag off the cart, stomps off and leaves. Doesn't shake any of our hands or tip his cap, or anything. The guy he was riding with just shrugs. 

The three of us agreed, biggest d-bag any of us had ever played with. 

The good news is after my 44 on the front, I shot a 1 over 37 on the back. Which is the best 9 hole score I've made in probably 10 years or so. ... That is if you count the bunker shot on 17. ???

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to The Worst Person With Whom You've Ever Been Paired…
46 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, I wanted to name this thread "Biggest D-Bag You've Ever Been Paired Up With". 

I made an online tee-time for as early as I could find this morning. As it turns out there were 4 singles, including me, who all made early morning tee-times. The course paired us up. The guy in my cart was fine, but one of the other two guys was a total D-bag. He was someplace between 40 and 50 years old, hits a low fade/slice on every shot; Consistent if not powerful. That's not what made him a d-bag.

First hole is a relatively straight forward maybe 340 yard par 4, driving range on the right, OB left. The young guy (25ish?) who I had in my cart steps up and drills his drive to into the green side bunker. Now the tees were up, so it was playing short, and the guy caught the downhill slop perfectly, but still a really good drive. The rest of us say "Great drive." or "Nice shot." or what ever. This guy says (and sadly I think he believes it) "Anyone can hit a 300 yard drive. The real skill in golf is putting." I laughed because I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. It was just weird. Especially since the guy hit his first drive like 180 yards into the driving range on the right and they took "a breakfast ball" and would have done the same thing except for a tree kicked him back into play near the cart path. 

That's where it began and it didn't stop. Every hole, almost every shot he had to tell you why your shot was lucky and his was unlucky. Then he insisted on adding up and reading off the scores at the turn. BTW - I shot 44 on the front and he shot 43. Argh!!!

In addition he decided that everyone needed his coaching after every shot that wasn't exactly perfect. He started every other sentence with "You wanna..." As in "You wanna get your hands in front of the ball on that shot..." Or "You wanna swing like you're throwing a bowling ball to right field...." 

I almost pissed myself laughing when the guy in my cart turns to me as we are rolling up hole 15 and goes "Man, that guy's a real douchebag, isn't he?" "Yes, yes, he is." 

The kicker for me came on hole 17. It's a short par 3, 125 yards, crowned green, guarded by a big deep bunker in front-right. I hit fat P-wedge that didn't quite have enough to make it over the bunker. He tugged a what-ever to the far lower left of the green. After my shot he goes "You wanna take more club on this hole so you don't end up in that bunker." I said nothing. But then I holed out for a birdie with a great bunker shot. The other two guys are like "Great Shot!" This d-bag's pissed off. He starts ranting about how my shot wasn't legal and it shouldn't count as a birdie. Here's the thing. In the cart they've put a sign saying something to the effect of We're sorry we don't have staff to keep up the bunkers like we normally would. Feel free to pick your ball out of the bunker, rake the bunker and replace your ball. Which all of us have been doing the entire round. 

When I say he was pissed I mean he was pissed. He's literally stamping his feet mad. Then he goes on to blame me for his three-putt which he made after my hole out. He's ranting a bitching and going on about 2-shot penalties and what ever. I told him "Look, there's a sign in the cart. But write down what ever you want on the card. I'm just out here working on my game." There was no money on the line. We weren't playing against each other. I literally only met this guy on the first tee. I'm like "Look I don't care. Give me a two shot penalty." Then he says "Fine! I'll write down a 2 if you're going to be that way about it." I'm thinking "What way?" 

The entire 18th hole he won't let it go. He keeps talking about my illegal birdie. I'm thinking "What does he care?" 

After the 18th, he grabs his bag off the cart, stomps off and leaves. Doesn't shake any of our hands or tip his cap, or anything. The guy he was riding with just shrugs. 

The three of us agreed, biggest d-bag any of us had ever played with. 

The good news is after my 44 on the front, I shot a 1 over 37 on the back. Which is the best 9 hole score I've made in probably 10 years or so. ... That is if you count the bunker shot on 17. ???

Sad. Most of the time the folks I am with aren’t really paying attention. This year I’ve played with a bunch of really nice people. Even the old racist I played with last week, who didn’t want to play with Asians because he was in Vietnam, was pretty nice. Except for the racist part. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The good news is after my 44 on the front, I shot a 1 over 37 on the back. Which is the best 9 hole score I've made in probably 10 years or so. ... 

So you got a great story and your best 9 hole score ever out of this serendipitous union?? Awesome! You outta send the guy a Christmas card.. lol!

Edited by GolfLug
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

The only guy that comes to mind was at my former course.  Played with an acquaintance of mine.  We were coming into the 8th hole and found that the high school jumped in to play and were in the fairway.  I was a little upset, but whatever, easy enough to shrug off.  But not him.  We saw them on the 9th tee where they were letting us go through. He just curses at these kids for a couple minutes, then walks on.  They are staring in awe like WTF just happened.  I sincerely apologized to them because it was completely out of hand.  There was another occasion with him when we were playing in league.  I tossed a club because I was pissed about a shot.  He comes up to me telling me how horrible and out of line I am.  Granted, yes, I shouldn’t throw clubs and let my bad shots get the best of me.  But, when this guy was just on the tee laughing and talking in the middle of everyone’s swings, it’s a little laughable that this guy even knows what etiquette is.  There are other occasions too but he is definitely a D-Bag.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

19 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

So you got a great story and your best 9 hole score ever out of this serendipitous union?? Awesome! You outta send the guy a Christmas card.. lol!

That's a great point.

a1b80f1322682df462cad2ff3cbc0dc3.gif.01192b6055f09377d6cb3ae37e5f2bd1.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Sad. Most of the time the folks I am with aren’t really paying attention. This year I’ve played with a bunch of really nice people. Even the old racist I played with last week, who didn’t want to play with Asians because he was in Vietnam, was pretty nice. Except for the racist part. 

Yeah, normally everyone I get paired up with has been great. I get paired up a lot as I often play when I suddenly have a free weekday morning. Maybe a meeting gets cancelled or something like that. I think most people are either pretty nice, or at least relatively indifferent. 

This has all happened at my home course in the last couple of years.

One day I had the chance to play 36, first with my normal group and then random people in the afternoon.   Actually I paired up with them on the third hole.   First tee shot with them, one of them hits it like 40 feet.   Starts yelling homophobic slurs really loudly.   Great.  He does it a few more times.   The other two guys were really weird as well.   Both uptight, one guy never once hit a shot he was happy with.   If his shot landed on the green, 15 feet from the flag, he'd find fault.   But you could tell he was a 15 handicap at best.   Last guy was just really, really weird and super uptight.   Not in a mean way, but he acted like he was crunching numbers about everything and trying to be super technical.

Mr "I hate gays" has this exchange on the 11th tee with me.   I made bogey on the preceding hole, he made par and we generally we were playing ready golf.   At least I thought so.

<I walk up to the tee box>

Mr. Jackass:  "Hey, since when does par beat bogey?"

Me:  "What?"

Mr. Jackass:  "I made par last hole, you can't hit before me!"

Me: "Ummm sorry?"

Mr. Jackass: "I'll let it go this time".   (He didn't sound like he was kidding)

—Adam

Back in the late 70's. Got paired up at a Detroit Muni (Chandler Park) with a couple guys that got dusted on PCP at the 2nd tee.  The were completely out of control, throwing the flag like a javelin etc. I walked off a couple holes thereafter hole when I was within sight of the clubhouse. Heard later they had gotten arrested.......

2 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

Mr. Jackass: "I'll let it go this time".   (He didn't sound like he was kidding)

I always find that an interesting phrase. So, what does that mean he's going to do next time? 

There have been a couple of guys I got stuck with that I won't play a round with again. Both of them were crappy golfers. That's OK - I'm a crappy golfer too. But when they're whining, complaining, throwing clubs and swearing at almost every shot and certainly every hole it makes the game not fun for those of us that they're playing with. What are we supposed to say to them? "Yeah, you're golfing like crap". Or, "Oh gee, that's too bad". Or, "You're a crappy golfer. Get over it." I really don't care if they're having a crappy round - I'm out to have some fun, enjoy the day, and try my best and I don't need your constant whiney negativity ruining the day for me. I offered to take one of them back to the clubhouse and he ended up sitting in the cart with his arms crossed on his chest pouting in between shots for the rest of the round. At least he shut up. Good grief!

I golfed the first 9 holes of a round by myself recently and when I hit the next hole I ended up joining a pair of guys for my last 9. Nice guys. Not great golfers - like me - but we had fun and laughed a lot. One of them and I got to talking about golfers we'd been paired with and the guy says, "I've been paired with quite a few people and there's only one couple I got stuck with twice and won't play with again." He says, "The wife was nice and friendly but the guy was a jerk. Slow play, weird waggle, lasering everything in sight slower than molasses in winter." I said, "Was their last name XXXX?" (Don't want to say it here just in case) and he says, "Oh my god! You know who I'm talking about!?" I said yeah, I've been stuck with them, too. I told him about the guy topping his tee shot 20 yards off the tee on a 500 yard par 5 and then getting down on his knees to check his lie as if it would actually matter if he duffed his 3 wood or 5 wood on his next shot! We laughed about what a small golf world it is when the two of us, who had never met before, should get paired up and both have the same bad experience with the same couple!

12 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I always find that an interesting phrase. So, what does that mean he's going to do next time? 

Probably continue to be a jackass.

—Adam

Over my 60 years of playing golf, there are only a few really awful pairings.  The one that sticks in my mind is the "Staff Bag" guy.  I joined a twosome on the first hole at a regional muni.  Mr. Staff Bag is a tall younger man who clearly tried to look like a player in his dress.  Plus, of course, he had the staff bag with his name on it.  The staff bag, unfortunately, was a Top Flight brand.  Even way back then, Top Flight was thought of as the cheap mass market golf brand.  Mr. Staff Bag was playing with his uncle (50's, my age).

First thing Mr. Staff Bag needed to do was rant about the group that had just teed off before us.  A couple of women were in that group and he had to make some truly nasty remarks about them for 10 minutes.  He finally settled down and teed off from the tips, sending a huge slice into the next hole's fairway.  Uncle and I teed off from the middle tees and that is when Staff Bag started in on his uncle.  He had to belittle almost every shot his uncle made during the round.  Never mind that he was well on the way to 100+, he was relentless in his criticism.

Fortunately, I was walking and they were riding so I could stay away from Staff Bag much of the time.  I was playing well and Staff Bag wanted to hang with me since clearly he thought we were both players.  I did my best to stay away from him and made sure to compliment his uncle when he would hit a nice shot.  It was a mentally exhausting round and I probably walked a couple extra miles in my attempts to stay away from Mr. Staff Bag.

Edited by bkuehn1952
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Can't actually say anyone i have played with has actually been a "D". There has been that potential with many randos, but things have turned out mostly ok even with excessive focus on weed and other oddities here and there. The other "d" moves have been more with encountering aggressive drunks cutting in on 10, carts nearly running into the creek (a 20 foot drop), balls flying into or past our group and the like. But nothing like the territorial member that was overly interested in handicaps of my wife and I on a "fun" holiday tourney. Caused us to remove a R$#@ M*#&% course from our regular play list after politics and doubling of greens fees.

There is one guy who plays on most week-ends in one of the games at our club. Usually we have anywhere from 20-28 guys who play skins and a quota game with various side bets going on. This is a scratch game with some guys who play are on some mini-tours and even a couple Korn Ferry guys. Needless to say, when these guys get it going, they make a lot of birdies. This "D-bag" is always complaining about how the game is unfair and he "has no chance" etc. He literally whines the whole way around the golf course. This past week-end, one the pros finally told him that the  game isn't unfair, he just shouldn't play because he's not good enough to compete. He then proceeded to take his bag off the cart and walk in. I really thought he was going to cry. I'm very curious to see if he shows up this week-end. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I have been fortunate in that I have rarely been paired up with weird individuals.  A large part of that is because we have a few guys we are playing with already when we land up at the course.  My home course I know all the members and few are difficult on the course.  Most others I go with friends.  Have occasionally wound up on courses alone but not met such D-Bags as mentioned above

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Reality is that I'm the biggest jerk I know and I have to play with that guy every time.

99% of them are just fine. The couple of guys that used to get on my nerves were the couple of smack talkers my old association had. These two characters would say anything to piss you off in the effort to win the $100 worth of pro shop credit we'd play for. Naturally, given my personality, that was very easy for them against me.

• Funny 2

Couple more that have happened in the past couple of years.   Really made the day long, long, long....

1 -  Got paired up with a threesome at a course a little ways away from where I live.   On the first hole they tell me.   We have a couple of groups here and everyone else is a foursome so we need to use your score.   As long as I don't have to hear anything, fine, I'll tell them my score.    Oh no....on #3 they start telling me how I have to play the hole and started doing that.   Telling me things like "We need a good shot here, don't blow it" and while not getting irate, they weren't just laughing about it.   Basically kept on me and my game because of their stupid thing with a couple other foursomes.   I stopped talking to them after the front nine when one of them told me that I needed to do better on the back.

2  -  something similar except completely in the group.   Paired up with a threesome again and decided I needed to be a part of their little fun.   Not my score, but I was super second class.   No ready golf or even at my turn, it was all about them and I can't get in the way.  The jerk I was riding with was obsessively vaping and telling me things like "you need to watch my ball, I have money on this".   on 15 he yelled at me because I wasn't following his ball and it was in the trees on the right side of the hole.

Both times, I just walked off the 18th green, to my car, with barely a goodbye and certainly not a "nice playing with you".  

—Adam

32 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

we need to use your score.

That's unbelievable.

Someone says that to me, I say "What a shame. That really sucks for you".