IGNORED

How Bad Is Too Bad?

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I will play golf in any weather except...  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How bad does the weather have to be in order for you to NOT play golf?

• Rain is ok.
    • Rain and cold is ok.
    • Will do cold, but not rain.
    • Not playing unless sunny and warm

With all this lousy weather going on I am wondering just how bad is too bad when it comes to weather?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My line in the sand is generally 40 degrees with no wind or rain and 50 degrees if either factor is present.

Out here in the midwest, wind can be a big factor. Played a round in December that reminded me of this. The house is on the back side of a hill that deflects the wind most of the time. Didn't realize how bad an idea playing was until I got out of the car at the course. 

I’ve experienced both, but almost never at the same time. I’ll play in a bit of rain (how much rain depends on how desperate I am to play), and my level of tolerance with the cold bottoms out at around 45 degrees, maybe a few degrees colder if I’m practicing or only playing a quick nine.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I don't play in the rain, but considering we average about 10 inches of rain a year that's not normally an issue. 40° is about my cutoff as far as temperature, but the average high even in December and January is 50° so again not really an issue. I wish Albuquerque wasn't such a shitty city, because the weather is great!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

If you add wind in there, that would make a difference. 30’s, 20mph wind and rain, heck no! 40’s and ill do it. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I played in the rain during a tournament early last year. It was OK but not something I look forward too. And I've played when the ground was frozen so hard I had to use an awl to make a hole to put the tee peg into. Frozen ground makes for long drives (it's like a big cart path) but it's very tough to land on the greens. Have to run up onto them. Again, not my preference. Lately, I played on a course where I had to use my ball rake in the lakes in the fairways as the fairways were mostly covered in water.  I think I must be getting old as I'm finding I really prefer better weather than any of those situations.

It rarely gets too cold to play around here and most courses, that I play, don't let you out if the temperature is below  40.  As far as rain goes...we don't get much light rain.  In other words:  we play when we can.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Here in Michigan the sunshine plays a vital role in my decision to play golf if the temperature is below 60°.    60° and higher is definitely golf weather although I won't start in the rain.   If it's sunny and 55°, I'm in but 55° without sun and the wind blowing, I'll pass.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

58 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Here in Michigan the sunshine plays a vital role in my decision to play golf if the temperature is below 60°.    60° and higher is definitely golf weather although I won't start in the rain.   If it's sunny and 55°, I'm in but 55° without sun and the wind blowing, I'll pass.

I have a friend who won't play unless it's over 46 degrees (not sure where he got that number).  He has made no stipulations about wind, wind chill or rain.  Or stagnant air or volcanic ash.

Frost or snow = no go. I don't want to damage greens and temp greens are no fun. I prefer not to play in heavy rain but in the PNW rain is rarely heavy IMO.

1 minute ago, KMP said:

Frost or snow = no go. I don't want to damage greens and temp greens are no fun. I prefer not to play in heavy rain but in the PNW rain is rarely heavy IMO.

KMP... ah, you live in the land of frost delays.  Personally, I will play in temps as low as 32 degrees, as I did yesterday.  Otherwise, essentially no wind please.  Rain is okay.  Fog is okay, unless I can't see the group on the green in front of me when setting up for an approach shot... happened once, hitting into a fog bank not knowing where the flag, or even the green was.  Snow, eh... I've done it.

I never thought I would say this but since I moved to Florida 26 years ago, my motto is "It will be sunny tomorrow".

• Funny 1

My bag:

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

With all this lousy weather going on…

Oh brother.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

At what temp is it cold?

I played last week, and it was overcast and 38 when I started overcast and 37 when I finished, and I decided below 40 was too cold.

I have played in the rain, however not when it was below 50.

Having said that; the forecast for Saturday is supposed to be 38 and sunny, so if it’s sunny I may play.

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You're in Tampa.  It won't be sunny when Tom Brady retires... 😀

I’m a Bucks fan not a Bucs fan. Go Browns!

My bag:

I'm a noob to the game and, thus, I need good conditions (sunny and warm). 🤷‍♂️

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Note: This thread is 825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!