IGNORED

Headcover Use?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Headcover Use?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Anal are you about your headcovers during a round?

• I take them off, I hit the shot, and I put them back on...every time.
    • I take them off, I throw them in the back of the cart, and I put it back on at the end of the round.
    • Headcovers? I don't use no headcovers!

My father, in his advancing age, now refuses to use headcovers even on my Scotty Cameron I let him borrow 🥵. He says it's a pain.  I myself am extremely anal about my headcovers, I take them off, place them on my alignment sticks for safe keeping, and then I immediately put them back on when I return to my bag. I have some friends like me and then I have some friends like my father. Now, I don't mean iron covers, as I have never used them, I mean covers for my driver, fairway wood, hybrid, and putter. It just seems like an easy way to keep your more expensive clubs protected and looking good. Your thoughts?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use the headcovers when I'm driving to the course - but once I start playing, I may or may not put them back on when I get to my bag. Honestly it depends on pace of play - if the people behind are waiting to hit (even if we waited to hit our shot), I might not put them on and just throw them in the back of the cart. 

Ideally - yes, I'd like to wipe my club and put the covers back on after every shot. But - realistically I don't. 

If I'm walking, I'll take the headcovers off and put them back on every time. If I'm riding, I'll take and leave the driver headcover off, but every other cover goes back on. The driver is tall enough that irons aren't going to hit the face, so I don't worry about that one.

I agree with you generally, though, @NM Golf. My father-in-law doesn't use any headcovers and his clubs look terrible because they're constantly banging around. I don't know if it really affects performance, but it doesn't seem good. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Headcovers always on until I am hitting a shot, and then it goes right back on. When I get a new club, I like to try and sell the old club. I scratch up my hybrid/3W/driver enough with shitty ball striking, so I avoid anything else that might make superficial damage and lower the sale price. Plus, I think a clean and undamaged clubhead is less distracting to look down on at address.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Headcovers, off and back on, for my driver, 3 wood and hybrid.  Dislike a headcover for my putter.  The putter gets beat up, looks like Brandt Snedeker's.  He's an OK putter.   As long as the dings aren't on the face I'm good.  

I put the headcovers back on every time (woods, putter). I cannot stand scratches and dings on the top of the crown on woods as they are really distracting. I even took out my alignment sticks because on one occasion the points came through the rubber cap and I put the 3 wood in my bag and the stick marred the face of my 3 wood (luckily I buffed it out). Recently, I just sold that three wood for 75, and two other drivers for 100 and 125. Even though they were 10 years old, they were in excellent condition with absolutely no chips or dings so I got a really good price. 

Now, my irons, well they are just irons and covering them is not something I am interested in doing, ever. I do cover the MySpider putter as well as the Scotty. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

28 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Headcovers, off and back on, for my driver, 3 wood and hybrid.  Dislike a headcover for my putter.  The putter gets beat up, looks like Brandt Snedeker's.  He's an OK putter.   As long as the dings aren't on the face I'm good.  

It’s not just the putter face. If I don’t use my putter cover, the putter head can rotate and ding the shafts of other clubs.

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

It’s not just the putter face. If I don’t use my putter cover, the putter head can rotate and ding the shafts of other clubs.

Good point.  Though I use an Odyssey #7 Tank putter.  It does not rotate in the bag, but I suppose it could still ding or scratch the shafts of my irons.  I will have to follow this closer.

If I hit a good shot I’ll put the headcover back on. If not, I toss it in the basket as I’m muttering, ‘ why do I bother with this game.’

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, TourSpoon said:

I even took out my alignment sticks because on one occasion the points came through the rubber cap and I put the 3 wood in my bag and the stick marred the face of my 3 wood

I had the same thing happen to my driver, my alignment sticks went up under the headcover and left a nasty scratch on the crown. I bought a cover for my alignment sticks so that would not happen again.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I myself am extremely anal about my headcovers

Reminds me of comedian Ron White's bit:

"When my wife told me that she was anal, I thought, "Great." Turns out, there are two different kinds of "anal"...And she's the wrong one."

I have a little OCD and can be a bit anal, but when it comes to golf clubs, my sentiment is that they are instruments intended for you to beat the crap out of a ball. I view the scratches on my clubs as battle scars. The guys with iron covers are the ones that crack me up. To me that is a special kind of sad.

This is a similar post to one I have seen before and I did hear the justification that some people like to buy and sell clubs quite a bit so perhaps they are protecting their investment.

I use socks for head covers.  They are easy to take off and put on.  One can find all sorts of silly/whimsical designs at dollar stores, big boxes, supermarkets, etc...I usually drape the sock on the steering wheel of the cart.  After the shot I ride to the next one and put the sock back on when I return the club to the bag.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

11 minutes ago, Piz said:

I use socks for head covers.  They are easy to take off and put on.  One can find all sorts of silly/whimsical designs at dollar stores, big boxes, supermarkets, etc...I usually drape the sock on the steering wheel of the cart.  After the shot I ride to the next one and put the sock back on when I return the club to the bag.  

Good idea. In the summer I usually wear sandals and occaissionally I forget my socks. If you were my playing partner, would you loan me a pair of your headcovers for the round?😁

• Like 1

Just now, Carl3 said:

The guys with iron covers are the ones that crack me up. To me that is a special kind of sad.

Don't get me started on iron covers, they are a special kind of unnecessary. Never understood people that use them. While I always use my headcovers, I am thankful I only have 4 clubs that need them. 

2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Don't get me started on iron covers, they are a special kind of unnecessary. Never understood people that use them.

Totally in agreement.  I have a golfing friend who has always used them.  I went by his house the other night when he was asleep and dinged and scratched his SUV.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have SUV covers.

* Though I do understand the part about resale value.

Head cover off and in basket of cart for the driver.  All other woods/hybrids, I keep the cover off until I use the club and then replace it.  Since my cart is a private cart, my clubs are always on the cart so the driver head cover only is used when I remove the bag from the cart for whatever reason.  My irons never have, and never will, see a cover on them.

8 hours ago, NM Golf said:

My father, in his advancing age, now refuses to use headcovers even on my Scotty Cameron I let him borrow 🥵. He says it's a pain.  

The same scotty he digs the ball out of the hole with...???? For shame!

8 hours ago, DFW75 said:

I use the headcovers when I'm driving to the course - but once I start playing, I may or may not put them back on when I get to my bag. Honestly it depends on pace of play - if the people behind are waiting to hit (even if we waited to hit our shot), I might not put them on and just throw them in the back of the cart. 

Ideally - yes, I'd like to wipe my club and put the covers back on after every shot. But - realistically I don't. 

I put the head cover back on after each use. BUT I am conscious of pace of play. Many times, I've been seen riding in the cart holding my club and my head cover so as to get out of the way of the folks playing behind me. I'll put the cover back on before hitting the next shot. 

I know when I'm waiting to play and I see some guy wiping down his club and putting the cover on it and fiddling around before getting in the cart, I'm always wondering, why not just get in the cart and then do all of that shit when you get where you are going? Or on the way if you are riding? 

Same thing when I walk the course. Only then the head cover is in the net thing in my ClicGear 3.5+ and my club is in my hand as I walk. When I get where I'm going I can do all the putting back of the club stuff. 

4 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Don't get me started on iron covers, they are a special kind of unnecessary. Never understood people that use them. 

I will wear a white belt before I will use iron head covers. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!