IGNORED

Alternative to Sharpies for Marking Balls?

8 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

You would hope so, but I don't see it.  Either you get something printed to help identify a ball or you put it on via a sharpie/paint/nail polish/permanent marker or some similar means of identification.  Sharpies are the most practical of these options

I guess we'll find out. Will be able to do a head-to-head whenever these Marki ones arrive. Also saw some comments elsewhere from ex-sharpie users recommending the Sakura Identi-Pen. Thinking I might throw those in the mix, along with a paint pen, and see if any stand out. 

If I can find one that just doesn't smudge, I'll be happy. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

I guess we'll find out. Will be able to do a head-to-head whenever these Marki ones arrive. Also saw some comments elsewhere from ex-sharpie users recommending the Sakura Identi-Pen. Thinking I might throw those in the mix, along with a paint pen, and see if any stand out. 

Aren't we essentially talking about some form of sharpie/temporary marker/permanent marker for all of these.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Aren't we essentially talking about some form of sharpie/temporary marker/permanent marker for all of these.

Yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

Just a thought. Maybe the super fine point sharpie would work better for what you want to do.

images.jpg.be5c73fff215e059a4a77e6999f41eca.jpg

Have you tried those?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Yes, but doesn't mean they're all created equal. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Just a thought. Maybe the super fine point sharpie would work better for what you want to do.

images.jpg.be5c73fff215e059a4a77e6999f41eca.jpg

Have you tried those?

I did use an ultra fine for most of it. But one solution, absent any of these other markers performing better, would be to do just an outline style logo. Instead of one with infill. Reducing the amount of ink coverage would help mitigate the smudging. Or at least the appearance of it.

Maxfli Tour X

Sharpies are just a temporary solution.   Here are three of my balls, #1 has not been used, #2 was used one round and the right one was used two rounds.   In all fairness, the third ball was used in a muddy LCP round.

0428221155_2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Let me get this straight, marking your ball is for identification purposes only...correct? I put a dot and my initials on my golf ball with a sharpie. I've done that same mark for a number of years now. 

I play a new ball for one competitive round, then I throw it in the bag as a practice ball/ provisional etc.They stay in the bag for  1 or 2 practice rounds then they get demoted to the shag bag. While in the shag bag I chip and putt with those balls for years before I throw them away as they begin to yellow and I replace them with "newer" old balls.

What I am getting at is this...all those balls I throw away after:

one 18 hole competitive round

and, one or two practice rounds

and, several years of short game practice

I can STILL identify as mine because I can still see that original mark from years before. So I must ask.. what in the heck are you doing to your golf ball that you need more  permanent ink than that?

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

19 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Sharpies are just a temporary solution.   Here are three of my balls, #1 has not been used, #2 was used one round and the right one was used two rounds.   In all fairness, the third ball was used in a muddy LCP round.

0428221155_2.jpg

Sharpie stays on my clubface from being transferred from impact longer than it stays on the ball.

This is a good display of the wear on the ink over time. I could demonstrate something similar, but if I play a round with a single ball, I donate it to the Smithsonian. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, billchao said:

Spray paint.

I was thinking the same thing but the heat resistant type for engines (ie: Harley) or grills. I used some touch up on my bike and that stuff takes a beating.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

37 minutes ago, billchao said:

Sharpie stays on my clubface from being transferred from impact longer than it stays on the ball.

It might get worn off sooner if your impact point was in the same general area of the clubface each time.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Let me get this straight, marking your ball is for identification purposes only...correct? I put a dot and my initials on my golf ball with a sharpie. I've done that same mark for a number of years now. 

I play a new ball for one competitive round, then I throw it in the bag as a practice ball/ provisional etc.They stay in the bag for  1 or 2 practice rounds then they get demoted to the shag bag. While in the shag bag I chip and putt with those balls for years before I throw them away as they begin to yellow and I replace them with "newer" old balls.

I can STILL identify as mine because I can still see that original mark from years before. So I must ask.. what in the heck are you doing to your golf ball that you need more  permanent ink than that?

fred armisen promotion GIF by IFC

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

It might get worn off sooner if your impact point was in the same general area of the clubface each time.

I’m just happy when I hit the ball on the clubface.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Lol. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

The above provided no value in the context of the OP. And I'd imagine my response to your question would do nothing to advance the same either. So, I'll pass on going down that road.

2 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

I was thinking the same thing but the heat resistant type for engines (ie: Harley) or grills. I used some touch up on my bike and that stuff takes a beating.  

The whole thing basically comes down to what's going to have the best bond and/or abrasion resistance. So this may be the best solution. Downside is it'll require a bit more effort compared to a marker. But I'd be OK with that if the durability and smear resistance were markedly improved.

Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, DoubleAce said:

The whole thing basically comes down to what's going to have the best bond and/or abrasion resistance. So this may be the best solution. Downside is it'll require a bit more effort compared to a marker. But I'd be OK with that if the durability and smear resistance were markedly improved.

If you go the spray paint route you should make a bunch of stencils so you can do a batch at a time instead of individually.

Or even a single stencil that holds multiple balls.

Bill

My Swing Thread

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

If you go the spray paint route you should make a bunch of stencils so you can do a batch at a time instead of individually.

Or even a single stencil that holds multiple balls.

That'd definitely expedite things. They cost me all of 3 cents to print. So I could print a bunch and do a dozen balls or so at a time. To that end, it may end up being easier/faster than a marker. 

Maxfli Tour X

I’m pretty surprised there’s this much chatter over ball marking. I’ve never had any issues with Sharpies and when they do mark my clubs I’ve had no problem wiping it right off the hosels. 

• Funny 5

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I’m pretty surprised there’s this much chatter over ball marking. I’ve never had any issues with Sharpies and when they do mark my clubs I’ve had no problem wiping it right off the hosels. 

Lol, no kidding. Had no idea a simple question would be so contentious. 

And I don't mind sharpie transferring to the club. The crazy smears I've been getting with the larger logo/design just make the golf ball look like trash.

Maxfli Tour X