IGNORED

TopGolf in Trouble?

iacas

• Administrator

Driving range chain could be split from business as Topgolf Callaway Brands CEO expresses disappointment at stock performance.

Callaway has begun to explore a possible spinoff of Topgolf following the company's disappointing results.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to TopGolf in Trouble?

TopGolf is way too expensive. I disagree that their food sucks, but it's certainly overpriced. It's mediocre, but there are a few steps to go before I'll say it sucks.

And ironically, as Yogi Berra once quipped, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." Which absolutely applies in this situation because they're completely dead during off hours but it's impossible to get a bay at the times you'd expect to hang out at a place like that with casual golfers, say 6:00-10:00 PM on weekdays. The one by me takes reservations. That you have to pay extra for. Yea, I haven't been to it in years. Can't seem to figure out why.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Interesting. Did not know they were on a decline. The one here in Virginia Beach still seems to stay busy anytime I'm passing it. Visited it a few weeks ago with some out of town visitors. Not a bad time. Agree with Bill. Food/drinks were okay. 

I am wondering if the indoor X-Golf type SIM places are cannibalizing their clientele. We have a place called Hackers, also in VB that seems to be doing well. One could argue it being a better experience, them being able to play Pebble Beach and St. Andrews on the same day and all..😊

Not cheap either.

Vishal S.

Went to one a couple of months ago. It’s really a glorified bowling alley. It’s not set up for serious golfers in my opinion. The facility is nice as was the staff though.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

We have both a TopGolf and a Drive Shack.  The Drive Shack is significantly nicer without much price difference. I don’t think Drive Shack is a very big company, but I suspect there are other similar competitors out there making it a little tougher on them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

They don’t have secure enough shank protection for me. Not a fan.🥴

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

They don’t have secure enough shank protection for me. Not a fan.🥴

Just go to the left most bay.

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/10/2024 at 8:32 AM, woodzie264 said:

We have both a TopGolf and a Drive Shack.  The Drive Shack is significantly nicer without much price difference. I don’t think Drive Shack is a very big company, but I suspect there are other similar competitors out there making it a little tougher on them. 

Good point. Competitors can copy the idea. I saw a non-TopGolf but similar setup on our way to western WI recently.

Brian Kuehn

On 8/10/2024 at 6:44 AM, GolfLug said:

Interesting. Did not know they were on a decline. The one here in Virginia Beach still seems to stay busy anytime I'm passing it. Visited it a few weeks ago with some out of town visitors. Not a bad time. Agree with Bill. Food/drinks were okay. 

I am wondering if the indoor X-Golf type SIM places are cannibalizing their clientele. We have a place called Hackers, also in VB that seems to be doing well. One could argue it being a better experience, them being able to play Pebble Beach and St. Andrews on the same day and all..😊

Not cheap either.

DoD contractors entertaining clients. 🤣There are some areas of the country that will never run dry of entertainment dollars.

• Funny 1

I think TopGolf is a good place to "golf" for people who do not play golf.

As a parent of 2 kids who play travel sports. TopGolf is a good way for these kids to occupy themselves when they are not competing in their individual sports.

In July in Vegas and  at the topgolf around noon. half the bays were occupied.
I think one of the issues is too much space. They had 4 tiers worth of bays. That just seems like alot.

And I agree, the food is good, the balls suck!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

DoD contractors entertaining clients. 🤣There are some areas of the country that will never run dry of entertainment dollars.

Yeah, it's the better version of 'golf' for shitty golfers. Less frustrating and more fun.

Vishal S.

Yea, the pricing has gotten out of hand. 

Up near Cleveland, it is $32/HR in the morning, and goes up to $54/HR. 

Big Shots, which was a competitor to Top Golf, though it was bought by Top Golf, but now I hear that deal has fizzled out. Big Shots is $11/HR! Big Shots has trackman as well. That might be per person. So a bay might cost a lot more. Top Golf might be better for big groups. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think the answer is obvious. 

Top Golf has lost all of its customers. I mean if you watch youtube there must be 2000 videos that say "I got kicked out of Top Golf for hitting it over the net".  

Clearly so many people have been hitting it over the net that they've had to "kick out" most of their customer base. 

• Funny 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think the answer is obvious. 

Top Golf has lost all of its customers. I mean if you watch youtube there must be 2000 videos that say "I got kicked out of Top Golf for hitting it over the net".  

Clearly so many people have been hitting it over the net that they've had to "kick out" most of their customer base. 

Or the cost of replacement balls is getting REALLY high.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or the cost of replacement balls is getting REALLY high.

Those custom made ultra limited flight balls probably cost as much as Pro V1s 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
4 hours ago, billchao said:

Those custom made ultra limited flight balls probably cost as much as Pro V1s 😜

Probably more, with the chips inside.

I've been to Top Golf a couple of times and both times it was as part of an event. It seemed fine for that purpose. It was food, drinks and a low impact activity as the start of my brother's bachelor party my last visit.

There just isn't enough there to warrant repeat business. Couldn't imagine going week after week to Top Golf like we go to our home courses or, for that matter, bowlers to their bowling leagues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve only gone to TG a few times.  A few were work related events and a few just hanging with friends.

I think it is fun for what it is.  It is a social event to eat & drink & socialize.  It is not “Golf”.

It is not a cheap date but also not insanely expensive.  Prime time near us is $62 per hour.

Also, last time we went we started at Sam’s club and got $100 TG gift cards for only $80.

Last time, @ 1 mo ago, food was good enough that we would eat it again.  Again not cheap but what is cheap now?

if I recall correctly our total bill for 2 hours with 4 people came to @ $350ish or so but then 20% with the gift cards came brought it down @ $280 which is only @ $70 per person.  We are not big drinkers so limited alcohol helped keep the cost down.  2 hours entertainment, food & drink for $70 each is not what I call super expensive.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold)