IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass

iacas
Note: This thread is 2026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Heels of Golf:

Maybe I am a contrarian.  Perhaps I just enjoy watching guys lacking a filter emotionally.  But damn, if I am not more interested in the PGA tour when guys like Ian, Bubba and Jon Rahm are in the mix.  I want guys who; if we are all being honest; are more like who we would be under the spot light (lacking polish, unable to restrain our emotions); I find more interesting than the Robots normally inhabiting the PGA.

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Btowneb said:

The Heels of Golf:

Maybe I am a contrarian.  Perhaps I just enjoy watching guys lacking a filter emotionally.  But damn, if I am not more interested in the PGA tour when guys like Ian, Bubba and Jon Rahm are in the mix.  I want guys who; if we are all being honest; are more like who we would be under the spot light (lacking polish, unable to restrain our emotions); I find more interesting than the Robots normally inhabiting the PGA.

Ian is not those guys. (Though he’s close.)

I too like displays of emotion instead of robots, but you can limit it to competitive things, not bitching at fans during practice rounds… etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I shook my head at his little intensity act yesterday. Beau shit his pants and Poulter had a few putts to win from 6ft. He wasn't over-charged with emotion....he was acting for the cameras...

poulter-win.jpg?1522624406

What a tosser.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

ugh. of all the people to win the week before The Masters. 

• Like 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I just read an interview with Zach Johnson who made a comment about Poulter in a Ryder Cup match. Apparently Zach hasn't forgotten what about Ian's reaction to making a putt to win the match. I guess it's pretty common knowledge about who are the douche bags on tour.  I know a couple other guys who are included on that list.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I think a lot of the anti-Poulter guys just hated watching him kick butt in the Ryder Cup. I wonder, @NEhomer and @Bucki1968, if Justin Thomas' "F*** yeah" in the exact situation, or Tiger's fist pumps and other on course antics rubbed you the same way? I like when they show their emotions out there, but if it doesn't bother me when the guys I like do it, I can't complain when those I don't like do it.                                                                    

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I think a lot of the anti-Poulter guys just hated watching him kick butt in the Ryder Cup.

I know you weren't specifically including me, but no, my dislike for the guy has nothing to do with his Ryder Cup behavior, etc. Those are just the multiple cherries on top, as it were, of a sundae made long ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I think a lot of the anti-Poulter guys just hated watching him kick butt in the Ryder Cup.

I think it's been more his whiny attitude. He is a fierce competitor, but he's not humble about it. I don't mind the fist to the chest stuff. I like to see golfers be more pumped up about it. His attitude on other things is just annoying. The guy seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

31 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think it's been more his whiny attitude. He is a fierce competitor, but he's not humble about it. I don't mind the fist to the chest stuff. I like to see golfers be more pumped up about it. His attitude on other things is just annoying. The guy seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder.

I get that, and I think you're 100% correct about the chip on his shoulder. I give him a lot of rope because of a story I read about him years ago. He talked about growing up in a poor family, getting a job working in a pro shop as a young kid, where they made fun of his working class accent. He'd see others his age come to play dressed in expensive outfits he couldn't afford, and playing new expensive clubs. He was the guy who was refolding or hanging the merchandise they tried on and discarded. He talked about practicing endlessly in the dark after work, eventually dropping out of school and turning pro. I don't remember exactly what he said his handicap was at the time, but it was high enough that he was ridiculed for doing so. I loved the story, admired his grit, and have been a fan ever since. It also might explain his flashy style of dress and lack of a "polished" persona. 

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

42 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I think a lot of the anti-Poulter guys just hated watching him kick butt in the Ryder Cup. I wonder, @NEhomer and @Bucki1968, if Justin Thomas' "F*** yeah" in the exact situation, or Tiger's fist pumps and other on course antics rubbed you the same way? I like when they show their emotions out there, but if it doesn't bother me when the guys I like do it, I can't complain when those I don't like do it.                                                                    

I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine. My suspicion, however, is that he cherishes his "intensity" photo ops. The putt he just made wasn't difficult or clutch.....he could have swiped it multiple times and still won. 

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

4 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine. My suspicion, however, is that he cherishes his "intensity" photo ops. The putt he just made wasn't difficult or clutch.....he could have swiped it multiple times and still won. 

Not sure which putt you are talking about, I presume it is the one to win the playoff hole; because his putt on 18 to tie was absolutely clutch.
I've never been a fan, I think mainly because he has (previously) flaunted his wealth with things like photos of his fleet of Ferraris. But reading about his charity work has softened my dislike.
He seems to be like a cat with 9 lives; having his PGA tour card re-instated last year due to points transition ruling confusion and then the inaccurate OWGR information coming at the WGC Match play about his Masters qualification.

With the win he has his PGA tour card for a few more years, and he climbed to 29 in the rankings so he will be at all the majors and WGC's this year.

Players play, tough players win!

8 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

Those emotions had little to do with making the putt and more so to do with making it into the masters/winning the tournament. I feel like most animated people would be pretty amped and act similarly given the circumstances.

35 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I get that, and I think you're 100% correct about the chip on his shoulder. I give him a lot of rope because of a story I read about him years ago. He talked about growing up in a poor family, getting a job working in a pro shop as a young kid, where they made fun of his working class accent. He'd see others his age come to play dressed in expensive outfits he couldn't afford, and playing new expensive clubs. He was the guy who was refolding or hanging the merchandise they tried on and discarded. He talked about practicing endlessly in the dark after work, eventually dropping out of school and turning pro. I don't remember exactly what he said his handicap was at the time, but it was high enough that he was ridiculed for doing so. I loved the story, admired his grit, and have been a fan ever since. It also might explain his flashy style of dress and lack of a "polished" persona. 

I grew up poor too. It doesn't give you license to be a jerk to everyone around you. From what I've read and the first accounts here, Poulter is basically a jerk. He's a good golfer, and really good Ryder cup player, but not worth cheering for IMO regardless of his backstory.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

24 minutes ago, JxQx said:

Those emotions had little to do with making the putt and more so to do with making it into the masters/winning the tournament. I feel like most animated people would be pretty amped and act similarly given the circumstances.

I certainly may have mis-read him but it just didn't appear to be genuine.

John C.

1 hour ago, GrandStranded said:

Golly...he must be the only one that worked somewhere that has merchandise that they can't afford or got made fun of for their accent or ethnicity? It sounds like he has had a chip on his shoulder for a long time. Sounds like maybe jealousy and hate too?

49 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I grew up poor too. It doesn't give you license to be a jerk to everyone around you. From what I've read and the first accounts here, Poulter is basically a jerk. He's a good golfer, and really good Ryder cup player, but not worth cheering for IMO regardless of his backstory.

This. You can have a chip on your shoulder about people rooting against you or carry a torch of animosity towards people thinking they relish in his demise... This only ensures that he makes more of those people. Allowing your negative past to continue to affect your future is not a success story in my book. I think he has done well for himself but as a business person, he is a rather poor representative for his company. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I think that it is pure emotion for the chance to get to Augusta again (after missing out on the event cherished by all), not to mention the instant invites to other majors .  $$$

it's a big deal to qualify for an invitational like Augusta.

Note: This thread is 2026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!