IGNORED

Longest Iron in Bag... And More

18 members have voted

1. 1. What irons (not companies) do you carry (not hybrid in your bag)

• 1-iron
    • 2-iron
    • 3-iron
    • 4-iron
    • 5-iron
    • 6-iron
    • 7-iron
    • 8-iron
    • 9-iron
    • Pitching wedge

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like we have a fairly normal distribution around the 4-iron.  I think if we compared the responses vs. handicap, we would see a definite correlation.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can hit a 5 iron relatively well (with my limited talent). My 4 iron was a lot harder so I switched it for a 4 hybrid. It was a lot easier to hit.

I should go back and try again the 4 iron tho, my iron game has improved a lot lately, but my hybrid have not improved much compared to my irons (4h still goes farther than 5 iron, but my 5 iron is a lot more straighter than my 4h). I'll have to go to the driving range soon!

I can hit my 4i pretty well and consistent.  Fun to hit.

I don't have a 3i or a 2i, so I don't know about those one way of the other.

that said - the 4i is not in my bag.  I like my 4h even better.

but, I like to try 'stuff' and might spend a few rounds with the 4i and 5w back in the bag and the 4h and 2h out - just for fun.  I like hitting that 4i and 5w quite a bit.

Quote:
I should go back and try again the 4 iron tho, my iron game has improved a lot lately, but my hybrid have not improved much compared to my irons (4h still goes farther than 5 iron, but my 5 iron is a lot more straighter than my 4h). I'll have to go to the driving range soon!

Whenever my 5i gets a little off to hit, I'll take the 4i to the range and practice with it until it gets good.  That always seems to clean up my contact with the shorter irons, almost immediately.  Big believer now in figuring out what is the longest iron I can hit, and then using everything shorter than that one.  I'm considering getting a 3i just to push my abilities up.  Make that 4i a 'go to' club rather than the one that's maybe on the edge of my capacity.

Bill - 

I voted 6i. I CAN play a 5i but why use that when I have my awesome Diablo Edge 5h?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I don't have anything higher than 4i... Higher end of my bag has some gaps, 4i to 18* 2H to Driver... I don't tend to need much in the upper end of my bag to carrying other clubs since there aren't any super long holes on the courses I play.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

My longest iron is 38.5" 24 degrees. I would love to have something at the 39.75" 19 degrees but I don't have room. Here course conditions, specifically the long rough through drought season, makes long irons tough to hit. When I know I need to hit the ball in the fairway to have a chance at par I hit my longest iron.

Dave :-)

Got to go with @David in FL on this one ... I like the hybrids better ... I actually start at my irons 6i ... I can "hit" longer ones (just not as well as my hybrids) ... but take for example my 5 hybrid ... feel in love with the little feller the first time I swung it ... its never been out of my bag in 2 years now ... its my 175'ish club ... I am sure I could hit a 5i good now, but the 5 hybrid loved me when I could not swing as good ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Got to go with @David in FL on this one ... I like the hybrids better ... I actually start at my irons 6i ... I can "hit" longer ones (just not as well as my hybrids) ... but take for example my 5 hybrid ... feel in love with the little feller the first time I swung it ... its never been out of my bag in 2 years now ... its my 175'ish club ... I am sure I could hit a 5i good now, but the 5 hybrid loved me when I could not swing as good ...

I've never had much luck with hybrids until recently. I do like the new 2h I have but then again I'd never try to buy/use a 2 iron so I don't know that I'd ever replace an iron with a hybrid or the other way around.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Can someone explain me why hybrids are so easy to hit compared to long irons?

This is drilled into our heads constantly ... neither is EASY to hit - a long iron and a long hybrid are all long shafted clubs - not easy to hit.    Modern cavity backed hot faced long irons are plenty forgiving.     Hybrids are hook machines for me.   I finally found one after owning probably a dozen or more that I've finally bonded with & is a bridge club between my 4 iron & 3 wood.    Anybody who goes into it, believing all the hype about how easy a 3 hybrid is to hit is in for a disappointment ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

5 iron for me, I switched out my 4 iron for a 22 degree hybrid and have no plans on going back. Have to say, though, that when I first started playing years ago I used to have a 3 iron that I loved teeing of with. I'm not sure I could even hit a 3 iron nowadays.

I don't know why but my 3iron is probably my most consistent club in the bag. Yesterday played 18 holes, hit it out of 7 tee boxes, 6/7 were sweetspot with ~220y carry, 1 was bit to toe but still went ~200y in line. For some reason my angle of attack stays pretty much the same with long irons, but when I get to short irons (8,9,52 degree the worst) my divots change from small to the size of man, contact feels good but I know it's way too high on the face.

Gotta update my swing post someday, made quite some changes but atm I'm alone in the dark and stuck.

I have 3-PW but don't even keep the 3 in my bag.  I have a 3 hybrid instead.

I can hit the 6-iron consistently well.  The 5 isn't horrible, but I don't have the confidence in it.

The 4 rarely comes out of the bag.  When it does it is for punching out from under trees when I need to keep the ball low (happens more often than I would like to admit).

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

I have 3-PW but don't even keep the 3 in my bag.  I have a 3 hybrid instead.

I can hit the 6-iron consistently well.  The 5 isn't horrible, but I don't have the confidence in it.

The 4 rarely comes out of the bag.  When it does it is for punching out from under trees when I need to keep the ball low (happens more often than I would like to admit).

I've found that the 3i and 4H are about the same distances. When I get that rare decent shot from my 3i, it is about the same 200 yard flat ground total distance as my 4H (23 degree). My 3H (19 degree) does not go that much farther maybe 10 yards. The hybrid can get about 8 in 10 full distance shots, while my 3i might get only 2 or 3. Unfortunately, I still can't hit my 6i to 4i out to distance yet. Like you, I use the 4i off the tee or to punch out low. Hybrids go too high for good punch shots.

Hybrids are great, and give you a nice high flight.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am sure I could hit a 5i good now, but the 5 hybrid loved me when I could not swing as good ...

Haha, so what you're saying is, the 5i was the hot girl in school who wouldn't give you the time of day, and the 5h was the tomboyish girl-next-door who would be hot if she was at all girly. After your "summer growth spurt" where you showed up at school on the first day of senior year totally different, the hot 5i asked for your number, but in true 80s movie fashion, you revealed your feelings finally to tomboyish 5h (who, I must reiterate, would be hot if she wanted to be). Lol.

I finally ended up voting and went with 4-iron.

• Upvote 2

Constantine

Haha, so what you're saying is, the 5i was the hot girl in school who wouldn't give you the time of day, and the 5h was the tomboyish girl-next-door who would be hot if she was at all girly. After your "summer growth spurt" where you showed up at school on the first day of senior year totally different, the hot 5i asked for your number, but in true 80s movie fashion, you revealed your feelings finally to tomboyish 5h (who, I must reiterate, would be hot if she wanted to be). Lol.  [rule] I finally ended up voting and went with 4-iron.

This sounds a little like a Taylor Swift song. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Haha, so what you're saying is, the 5i was the hot girl in school who wouldn't give you the time of day, and the 5h was the tomboyish girl-next-door who would be hot if she was at all girly. After your "summer growth spurt" where you showed up at school on the first day of senior year totally different, the hot 5i asked for your number, but in true 80s movie fashion, you revealed your feelings finally to tomboyish 5h (who, as I must repeat, would be hot if she wanted to be). Lol.

But even the 5 iron wasn't good enough for you.  You wanted the 3 iron!!  When the 3 iron broke its owners favorite tee, you were the only one that could afford to pay to fix it.  But you wouldn't do it unless the 3 iron agreed to let you "hit it" for awhile in order to get all of the other clubs in your bag, and everybody elses, to like you more.  After using the 3 iron for several rounds and making a few good shots with it, you started to get cocky and greedy ... hitting tricky punch shots under trees, using it out of a bunker Seve style, etc, you even made up a goofy African inspired victory dance that everybody started copying, and finally it couldn't take it anymore and told the entire country club that shes only in your bag because you paid to fix the tee.  Now all of your clubs hate you.

However, one day, when you see your (ex) friend trying to go about hitting the 5 iron the honest way (working at it on the range), one of the bully club members starts to harass him and threaten him, you finally do the right thing and go stand up for your friend, reminding the bully that you all used to play together on the putting green with your dads' old clubs, and that one time when he fell into the practice bunker and twisted his ankle, you carried him home while he was crying all the way.

Bully makes nice with your ex friend, ex friend appreciates your help (youre still ostracized for now though), all with the help of bully number 2's slow clap, and unbeknownst to you, the 3 iron is watching the whole thing, and decides she wants to live in your bag forever!!