IGNORED

Longest Iron in Bag... And More

18 members have voted

1. 1. What irons (not companies) do you carry (not hybrid in your bag)

• 1-iron
    • 2-iron
    • 3-iron
    • 4-iron
    • 5-iron
    • 6-iron
    • 7-iron
    • 8-iron
    • 9-iron
    • Pitching wedge

Voted 3 iron, but I'm pretty sure I could hit a 2 since my 3 is one of my favorite clubs to hit. Kinda crazy to write that, as I couldn't hit a 5 (or 6 for that matter) worth a shit just two years ago.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably going to switch out my 3 &4 irons for hybrids because I don't hit them well. I voted for my 6 iron. My 5&4 are shaky at best. Lol

I'm committing the rest of the season to the 4 iron - took the hybrid out of the bag.    The  4i is just more accurate on approach shots & better off the tee.     Not as high as the hybrid, but I'm not seeing any significant distance difference.     Also, it's awesome for low punch out shots - I've learned to hit this low running frozen rope shot  by playing the ball BEHIND my right foot, that if I hit the fairway, rolls out to just about as long as my usual shot.

I bought into all the hype about hybrids being easier to hit than long irons for too long, so I never gave my 4i a fair chance.      My modern hot faced cavity backed JPX-825 4i is really surprising me lately - it's got such a great feedback when struck well off the fairway & is loooooong.      I'm loving it... wish I committed to it earlier.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haha, so what you're saying is, the 5i was the hot girl in school who wouldn't give you the time of day, and the 5h was the tomboyish girl-next-door who would be hot if she was at all girly. After your "summer growth spurt" where you showed up at school on the first day of senior year totally different, the hot 5i asked for your number, but in true 80s movie fashion, you revealed your feelings finally to tomboyish 5h (who, I must reiterate, would be hot if she wanted to be). Lol.

I finally ended up voting and went with 4-iron.

this is hilarious and describes my game to the T.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I struggled with the 5, because I would like to hit the living crap out of that clubhead. Somehow, my brains found a gear that there is absolutely no reason to molest beautifull Endo steal forged irons. Since then, the 5 is a taker, let alone my Epon driving iron. The sound and buyttery feel of that iron is tremendous. You can not find a match. Already 2 fitters would like to buy it, hahaha. I can hit the driving iron better than my hybrids. I do not know why I have them in the bag. But there comes a time that I understand that a hybrid is a club which you do not have to slam into the ground B-):whistle:

My longest iron now is a 4-iron that I hit fine. I used to have a 3-iron, but switched it for a 21º utility club.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I just put my 3 iron back in my bag. Hit it 3 times last week and absolutely cover the stick. It's about a 200-210 club for me.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

No 1-iron in the list.

I used to have a full iron set, 1 thru PW and used every one of them. I couldn't hit my woods well so I often just left them out of the bag.

These days I've got a 4-iron but would like a 3-iron eventually, but in the mean time as I get my game back into play I'm running hybrids where the longest irons used to fit.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

No 1-iron in the list.

Lofts have changed over the years. I don't know any company that still sells 1 irons. For instance the 712U driving iron from Titleist with 18* Loft is considered as an 2 iron.

Yeah, just wish they'd standardize things so we could compare apples to apples, maybe set the parameters based on Iron Byron at a specific setting or something.

One of the InTheBag threads I read recently showed one of the pro's (Phil maybe) with a 2-iron bent to a 1-iron, plus I think he also had a "stock" 2-iron in his bad as well.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I think this whole thing is ridicolous too. Why don't sell sets starting with a 1 iron? And PW nowadays with 45* loft. Who pitches with a PW?

I think this whole thing is ridicolous too. Why don't sell sets starting with a 1 iron? And PW nowadays with 45* loft. Who pitches with a PW?

I do, pitch with anything from my 35 degree 8i to a 58 degree wedge and sometimes chip with a fairway wood.

Dave :-)

[QUOTE name="Reval14" url="/t/76023/longest-iron-you-can-play/72#post_1029291"] And why is the 46* iron called a wedge?[/QUOTE] My dad has an old sand wedge that says "sand iron" on it

Originally the PW had about 50* loft. Nowadays a 50* wedge is called "approach" or "gap" wedge.

Longest iron I hit consistently well??  8 iron. Without keeping stats I'd say I probably hit more greens with an 8 iron than I miss, but it really could be my 9 iron.

7 iron through 5 iron I'm sure my accuracy would be below 50% with these clubs.

I hit more greens with my 4 hybrid. I'll often choke down the 4H and play a 3/4 instead of hitting a full 5 iron.

My longest now is iron-5. If I want more distance I take my hybrid, but that's it. Besides that, I'm not a long hitter at all.

Taking lessons now once a week, also for the first time I compete in tournaments and matches every now and then. Not very succesful, but I consider it to be a good experience and training. I'm really determined to get better, love the game.

~Jorrit