IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Haha great suggestion.  Who made a law that Collard shirts look better than T-shirts. or golf shorts (what ever that means) look better than cargo shorts.  If I saw two people walk by me, one wearing a collard shirt and one wearing a t-shirt, I wouldn't think anything of either of them.  I feel some people like to think that they are better than someone because they dress nicer.

It's funny. What "looks good" is predominately social conditioning, yet the people who feel the strongest about it are the most likely to feel that those criteria are borderline objective. Beyond a base level of looking moderately decent, people have to admit that looking "nice" is all personal preference and has very little fundamental truth of nature. Collared shirts are not objectively better or nicer. Society taught you that they look better, but it's purely a personal thing. Like I said before, it's economics. People who think a certain way will pursue certain things. Dress codes will reflect market demands.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

100% correct imo.  A clean and well pressed pair of cargo shorts and t-shirt will look better than dirty, wrinkled golf shorts and polo shirt.  The issue is a higher percentage of t-shirts are probably not appropriate for golf courses and it becomes difficult to differentiate the acceptable ones from the unacceptable, same goes for cargo shorts.

Originally Posted by B-Con

It's funny. What "looks good" is predominately social conditioning, yet the people who feel the strongest about it are the most likely to feel that those criteria are borderline objective.

Beyond a base level of looking moderately decent, people have to admit that looking "nice" is all personal preference and has very little fundamental truth of nature. Collared shirts are not objectively better or nicer. Society taught you that they look better, but it's purely a personal thing.

Like I said before, it's economics. People who think a certain way will pursue certain things. Dress codes will reflect market demands.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Anyway, not trying to get into a pissing match here, but I don't need people telling me that I went to a public school or that I don't have more class than a cargo shorts wearer who brags about Wal Mart.

The lad doth protest too much, methinks.

As soon as you are served some of your own medicine, you are enlightened to the perspective that casting aspersions based on some web text isn't exactly the most diligent of methods.  But the truth is that your "class" has been on display for the past few days.  You may think you are classier than others because of what you wear, your education and your material possessions, and if "class" is synonymous with "hypocritical & judgemental douchebag" and "pretentious prick", then by all means, you are the classiest individual I've come across on the internet in a full 10 days.  Take pride in that, for that is no small feat.

There was a time when the classiest of individuals were exclusively with their other classy friends, walking with noses perched high amongst the clouds, looking down upon the commoners on the rare occasions when they would patronize the same establishments.  While glancing at their classy possessions every-so-often to ensure they were still there--and thus still classy--they would happen to miss the jokes and wisecracks of the commoners that had 10x more dignity and integrity than their entitled cohorts.  It never donned on them (elites) that their prized possessions--that for them are manifestations of their self-worth and class--didn't mean sh** to people that didn't also possess their major insecurity problems, or flat out lack of any semblance of common sense.

TL;DR: You're full of sh**, likely a piece of sh**, and your skewed perception of "class" is for sh**.

• Upvote 2

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

...and if "class" is synonymous with "hypocritical & judgemental douchebag" and "pretentious prick", then by all means, you are the classiest individual I've come across on the internet in a full 10 days.  Take pride in that, for that is no small feat...

wow, this is at least the 2nd time TODAY that someone has mentioned directly or indirectly that MrSandman is a douche... quite the track record.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Mr. S is a bit much but I can't see a reason to stoop to his level. Stay classy TST, we don't need his approval. Getting personal with the guy isn't going to help. Probably just inspire more whacky outbursts.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by divot dave

wow, this is at least the 2nd time TODAY that someone has mentioned directly or indirectly that MrSandman is a douche... quite the track record.

I can think of at least 4 threads in the last 24 hours where they have. Yet he doesn't have the time to post, but does so all day long. Easily the most ignorant, egotistical, selfish, I'm right you're wrong, douche I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

This is why I got off forums years back and thought I would give this a shot because it seemed good, but one person can ruin it for everyone. He talks about the dumbing down of America, he's the leader of the douching up of America.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

Pretty sure MrSandman is a Troll. Well I hope so, I'd be surprised if someone was really that much of a baw sack.

Well on topic I think dress codes have their place, although not a massive fan. I don't like golf dress code hugely as I find the clothing a bit uncomfortable. More so trousers (pants) as i find it hard to find them loose enough round the legs while being small enough round my waist. Don't really like tucking things in to my trousers either, or shirts for that matter.

My comfort issues aside, I get that conforming to dress codes and other rules does stop those who can't be bothered following rules from going to courses. Which is a good thing.

Really though I think what someone wears has little to do with their behaviour, or how they play golf. I go to the range wearing a t-Shirt and track suits bottoms, usually because their comfortable and allow me not to be restricted(never understand how people wear jeans). I always turn my phone to silent on the range and if it goes ill ignore it or leave to take it. But readily those who are suited and booted have them left on loud and will take calls. I think things like these are much larger issues than what I wear.

Sorry, but to me, OP sounds like he's "full of it" or insecure or perhaps a little of both.  As such, he seems to be looking for validation.  Whether his professed "status" is real or not--this is the internet after all, is immaterial to me.  The tell-tale sign was when he stated that he even had leather-soled golf shoes for the "appropriate" situations.  LOL.  Please.  I know people of great wealth and none of them project the eliteist demeanor of the OP.  If anything, they're some of the warmest, most compassionate, most down-to-earth, and funniest people that I know.

But, I digress.  This is about golf dress codes and whether or not they're good for the game.  IMO, they're good for the game because our society tends to judge others based on their appearance.  From there, they formulate certain preconceived notions about that person as a whole.  However, what people fail to see is that class can be used to describe three different attributes.  Those attributes are appearance, character and movement.  Just because a person dresses in a classy manner does not equate that their character or movement is classy.  Indeed, classy attire is probably the easiest to obtain because it's just a question of buying some clothes.  Because of this, I'm pro dress code because it means that less emphasis will be placed on appearance--because everybody is similarly dressed and the focus will (hopefully) be placed on the more important aspect, character.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

100% correct imo.  A clean and well pressed pair of cargo shorts and t-shirt will look better than dirty, wrinkled golf shorts and polo shirt.  The issue is a higher percentage of t-shirts are probably not appropriate for golf courses and it becomes difficult to differentiate the acceptable ones from the unacceptable, same goes for cargo shorts.

Agreed. On a similar topic, I do find it slightly interesting that we cling to the high-class opinion of golf shorts. They're almost all polyester these days, basically a beige swimsuit minus the elastic waistband and with differently placed pockets.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

That's an excellent point.  Many private and prep schools require students wear a uniform to minimize focus and judgements made based on appearance (cost and style of warddrobe).  It also provides a unification within the school in a manner similar to how all the players on a sports team wear the same uniform.

Originally Posted by Tomboys

Sorry, but to me, OP sounds like he's "full of it" or insecure or perhaps a little of both.  As such, he seems to be looking for validation.  Whether his professed "status" is real or not--this is the internet after all, is immaterial to me.  The tell-tale sign was when he stated that he even had leather-soled golf shoes for the "appropriate" situations.  LOL.  Please.  I know people of great wealth and none of them project the eliteist demeanor of the OP.  If anything, they're some of the warmest, most compassionate, most down-to-earth, and funniest people that I know.

But, I digress.  This is about golf dress codes and whether or not they're good for the game.  IMO, they're good for the game because our society tends to judge others based on their appearance.  From there, they formulate certain preconceived notions about that person as a whole.  However, what people fail to see is that class can be used to describe three different attributes.  Those attributes are appearance, character and movement.  Just because a person dresses in a classy manner does not equate that their character or movement is classy.  Indeed, classy attire is probably the easiest to obtain because it's just a question of buying some clothes.  Because of this, I'm pro dress code because it means that less emphasis will be placed on appearance--because everybody is similarly dressed and the focus will (hopefully) be placed on the more important aspect, character.

Joe Paradiso

LOL........48 pages on dress code?

This strikes me as funny.....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

LOL........48 pages on dress code? This strikes me as funny.....

Look on the bright side, it's only 29 pages if you're a TST Supporter and set the posts per page to 30! :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Agreed.

On a similar topic, I do find it slightly interesting that we cling to the high-class opinion of golf shorts. They're almost all polyester these days, basically a beige swimsuit minus the elastic waistband and with differently placed pockets.

Hit the nail right on the head.  Only in the golf world do people pretend that shorts are formal attire.  They even break them into separate camps of formality based on the number of pockets.  And don't get caught without that polyester golf shirt tucked in and secured with a glowing white belt, as long as that belt matches your saddle shoes.

It's not so much the clothes as much as the possible side effects of allowing the code to be ignored. Anyone that frequents private courses and nicer public courses where the code is honored will likely attest that everything from the condition of the course to the pace of play is better. I play both types and my experience is courses with unenforced dress codes are without fail in the worst condition. The lack of respect for course policy leads to other bad behavior and people without resolve follow suit. It's easy for many to not replace a divot when there are hundreds of others scattered in the fairway. Same with not repairing ball marks. The I don't give a shit attitude becomes a plague.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by MrSandman

yeah, you can tell a lot about how classy someone is by a message board.  meanwhile, i'm looking down at my Patek Philippe and see that it is time for me to go grab a friday afternoon martini.

But aren't you the guy who has no problem putting in earbuds to "tune out" others while playing golf? And playing music from your cart? Yeah, real class here, folks...

• Upvote 1

I agree with no tank tops, but most shorts that I have are fine for the course.  It's 85 out, I'm not wearing pants.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Originally Posted by teamroper60

I believe Larry the Cable guy wears collared shirts.......   Do you think his look better than a clean t-shirt?

Originally Posted by bplewis24

There are plenty of non-collared shirts that look better than some collared shirts.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackster

So if some one came up to you in a suit on the golf course and said "Why do you look like such a slob on the golf course, your collard shirt and golf pants don't look near as good as my suit."  what would you say.  Trust me, I probably look better than most golfers who were their collard shirts and golf shorts.  At least I don't have a beer gut hanging down below my shirt.

Well last time I checked a full suit was not considered golf apparel, at least not since the early 1900's. If you are wearing a t-shirt and jeans you most certainly do not look better than those players in proper golf attire, even if they do have a weight problem. But that's just my opinion...and the opinion of about every non-muni course in the world.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 1381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!