IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I voted yes. I believe that if you respect yourself you should dress the part. I don't have a problem with business casual. Jeans would be ok if they are not ripped up and clean. Shirts with collars are not hard to find nice for low prices. If you wear shirts with out collars there are good ones again for not much money. Shorts to me as long as they are presentable.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:45 PM, Fourputt said:

How can you say that?  Looks to me like 84% of the members here are pushing in favor of dress codes.   

NO! NO! NO! What we do is dress according to the dress code of the course we are playing! Jeez! How stiff necked can you be?!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

NO! NO! NO! What we do is dress according to the dress code of the course we are playing! Jeez! How stiff necked can you be?!

The poll question asked if dress codes are good or bad for the game, not whether or not obeying them is good or bad.  Only an idiot would contest a course's right to impose a dress code.  The question is whether you feel that those codes have a positive or negative impact on the game. 

I personally don't think that a dress code has any impact on the game at all.  It may impact some players negatively when they find themselves turned away because they came to a course unprepared, and the same for anyone just being introduced to the game finding that they aren't allowed to wear for playing golf what they usually wear for casual summer recreation. 

I've only seen an apparel related incident once, and that was an extreme case, where a guy who was part of a small bachelor party at the course where I worked as starter was ultimately given the boot because he refused to keep his shirt and shoes on, despite being told repeatedly by the ranger that he was required to do so.  This was at a course with no posted dress code, but they still reserved the right to refuse service for cause.  The only expectation was that a player looked presentable, and that playing barefoot or shirtless was not allowed. 

I worked at that course for 5 years, and I've played the course for more than 40 years.  Despite the fact that there is no real dress code, I never saw anyone wearing (or not wearing) anything that I would consider objectionable except for that one incident.  

• Like 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

16 hours ago, iacas said:

I'll call bullshit on that one. Just because you're not aware of how your feelings changed, doesn't mean it's accurate. Everyone's susceptible to changing perceptions based on appearances…

You've not said anything that's really an opinion, though.

I feel like we are going around in circles, so to avoid boring the forum's readers I will keep this short. 

My opinions are that:

• Golf etiquette is far more important than golf attire;
  • In answer to the question, on the balance I believe that restricting golfers to a dress code puts off more people than it pleases, therefore overall is bad for the game of golf;
  • I have never knowingly chosen a golf course because of the way people dress there, but have avoided golf courses because of their strict dress code;
  • To take away someone's right, i.e. to choose what to wear on a golf course, should require some evidence that the restriction is likely to have a positive impact; and
  • Studies that show that school children behave better in schools that have a school uniform is not, in my view, sufficient evidence to justify dress codes on golf courses.

4 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I don't think that anyone is advocating the flaunting of a dress code that is in place (and some, like me, dress smartly on the golf course even where there is no dress code - but still believe that someone being entitled to wear what he or she likes to is good for the game...), I think people are just hypothesising about whether or not the existence of dress codes is likely to be good or bad for the game of golf.

There is no definitive answer, so the debate will likely go on a while (and evolve as norms shift)... 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I feel like we are going around in circles, so to avoid boring the forum's readers I will keep this short.

We're not going to get anywhere so long as you maintain that you're this rare special flower who isn't influenced at all by appearances.

My opinions are that:

• Golf etiquette is far more important than golf attire;
  • In answer to the question, on the balance I believe that restricting golfers to a dress code puts off more people than it pleases, therefore overall is bad for the game of golf;
  • I have never knowingly chosen a golf course because of the way people dress there, but have avoided golf courses because of their strict dress code;
  • To take away someone's right, i.e. to choose what to wear on a golf course, should require some evidence that the restriction is likely to have a positive impact; and
  • Studies that show that school children behave better in schools that have a school uniform is not, in my view, sufficient evidence to justify dress codes on golf courses.
  • Nobody's disagreed with that.
  • I disagree, and I think the poll results support the idea that a lot of folks are pleased with existing dress codes.
  • Okay.
  • It's not a right. You're on private property. And again, you seem to be ignoring the fact that virtually everywhere has a dress code.
  • I never used only those studies to support my opinion.

We keep going around in circles, in part, because you keep ignoring some basic facts in forming your opinion.

I think people are just hypothesising about whether or not the existence of dress codes is likely to be good or bad for the game of golf.

The poll is overwhelmingly in favor of "yes."

Obviously you can disagree with the majority, but it's a fairly significant majority at least as evidenced by the poll.

And again, @arab_joe, check out some of the other topics here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 10/31/2017 at 12:50 AM, arab_joe said:

Many golf traditions have fallen away, I hope dress codes will be next...

Boy I hope not.

On 10/31/2017 at 3:45 PM, Fourputt said:

How can you say that?  Looks to me like 84% of the members here are pushing in favor of dress codes.   

I don't think anyone is "pushing" for dress codes. People, myself included, just feel they are positive. I believe they have a positive impact on the game. I believe dressing up in general has a positive impact on the way someone feels. I personally do not understand why anyone would want to look like a slob, not only on the golf course, but in public.

On 11/1/2017 at 12:10 AM, arab_joe said:

At least we all seem to agree that behaviour is far more important than attire on the golf course!  I think we will have to agree to disagree on the dress code, though. 

I'm yet to see any evidence that people playing on courses with dress codes (i) behave better; and (ii) do so because of the dress code that the course has.  I am open to being convinced.  Until that day, I hope that dress codes continue to be relaxed because, in my opinion, I think such a move will attract more players than it will put off (which is the original question posed in this topic)...

As a long time (15 years) employee of a municipal golf course without a dress code I can say that I have never had to kick someone off the course who was dressed appropriately. 100% of the idiots I deal with are dressed in tee shirts, sweats, jeans, etc. Personally I believe if you dress respectfully, you have a greater chance of acting respectfully. This whole argument about it being more important how you act than how you dress doesn't hold water with me, not one little bit. Just because you dress like a slob on the course doesn't mean you will act like an idiot, but if you act like an idiot I guarantee you will also be dressed like a slob. This is my opinion, but its backed up by 15 years of experience. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

3 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I don't think anyone is "pushing" for dress codes. People, myself included, just feel they are positive. I believe they have a positive impact on the game. I believe dressing up in general has a positive impact on the way someone feels. I personally do not understand why anyone would want to look like a slob, not only on the golf course, but in public.

There is plenty of room between most golf dress codes and "slob."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

5 minutes ago, jamo said:

There is plenty of room between most golf dress codes and "slob."

True, but in the absence of some level of dress code, "slob" would be acceptable...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The only thing I do on a golf course that might be considered a faux pas to some, is that I always wear khakis & a polo shirt with a visor, but most of the time my polo is left tucked out, due to being a big guy (6'0 285), polo shirts can at times become tucked out while swinging, or just feel a bit too tight when shifting weight/hips. My own fault, granted, but still...haven't received any dirty looks from any of the workers at the courses I've been to, thankfully. 

Edited by pmack18

6 hours ago, David in FL said:

True, but in the absence of some level of dress code, "slob" would be acceptable...

I didn't say there should be no dress code. I just don't think there's anything sacred about collars. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

10 hours ago, jamo said:

I didn't say there should be no dress code. I just don't think there's anything sacred about collars. 

I don't think there's anything particularly sacred about any of it, really.  Golf attire has changed a lot since the old days of plus-fours, jacket and tie, and will almost certainly continue to adapt.  I think dress codes of some kind are here to stay, but there will never be a single unified dress code for the entire sport, nor should there be.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't think there's anything particularly sacred about any of it, really.  Golf attire has changed a lot since the old days of plus-fours, jacket and tie, and will almost certainly continue to adapt.  I think dress codes of some kind are here to stay, but there will never be a single unified dress code for the entire sport, nor should there be.  

Remember the mock turtlenecks from about 10 years ago? I believe Tiger brought them into vogue.  Nike has a collarless golf shirt they just came out with this year (see below). You can still look nice even if for some strange reason you don't like collars. 

SP16_GLF_NIKE_MM_FLY_SWING_KNIT_STRIPE_POLO_799107_DET_01_PPT_native_600.jpg

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

7 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Remember the mock turtlenecks from about 10 years ago? I believe Tiger brought them into vogue.  Nike has a collarless golf shirt they just came out with this year (see below). You can still look nice even if for some strange reason you don't like collars. 

That's still a collar... just an abbreviated one.

Rick

58 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

That's still a collar... just an abbreviated one.

God forbid you look nice. :doh:

36 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

God forbid you look nice. :doh:

Where the hell are you getting these comments from?  Jeeze.

Rick

On 11/2/2017 at 2:50 PM, NM Golf said:

As a long time (15 years) employee of a municipal golf course without a dress code I can say that I have never had to kick someone off the course who was dressed appropriately. 100% of the idiots I deal with are dressed in tee shirts, sweats, jeans, etc.

Sound to me like you just had it in for those t-shirt wearing lowbrows while letting the collar boys get away with murder. Did the conversations start out with "we don't like your kind 'round these parts..."

Just kidding, @NM Golf. :beer:

15 years working at a course certainly trumps my short time playing, but I've seen poor behavior regardless of how they were dressed (or age, or gender). Although, the worst behavior was from flip-flop wearing, Jackass wannabe, non-golfers who thought a day at the local course screwing with others might be fun.

Jon

21 hours ago, NM Golf said:

2812494_True_Royal_Heather?wid=500&hei=5

I have a bunch of these shirts because they're very inexpensive ($9 at Kohl's), they're comfortable, the material is soft and durable, they don't have logos, and they look nice. I stridently disagree that Nike's blade collar looks better than these, and the only difference between these shirts and a mock turtleneck is a half inch of material.

And no, I'm not a huge fan of collars. Why would anyone be? I wear them when I have to, but they feel uncomfortable and restricting. Not my favorite attributes in clothing when I'm playing a sport. 

This is my whole "argument." I just wish something like this was acceptable at more/most golf courses when paired with khaki shorts. Not a shirt slathered with a band name, not a shirt covered in holes that hasn't been washed in a month, not paired with cutoff jorts. I don't think I look like a slob in one of these shirts, though maybe you have a different opinion. 

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

I think they're positive, if only marginally. To me having a dress code sets an expectation of reasonable adult behavior. 

That being said, right after college I had a membership at a local muni and would play after work, and often played with blue collar singles trying to get a couple holes in before dark. A lot of these guys would be wearing their work jeans (i.e. with paint stains, rips, etc.) and shirts, occasionally saw guys playing in work boots-- and I didn't mind at all. But if I showed up Sunday morning and saw the same, might be a little dismayed. 

@jamo you posted this as I was typing, but I agree 100%. A pair of nice jeans and a simple t-shirt looks perfectly OK to me.

I see Jason Day wearing a lot of these half-collar shirts-- sometimes they don't even look like a half-collar, but I digress-- along with slim fit pants and high-top golf shoes and think he looks worse than the outfit you put together above. I mean he doesn't look like a slob, but he looks like a golfing version of Michael J. Fox from Back to the Future, minus a jeans jacket. I do not like the look at all. Just a style thing. 

10 minutes ago, jamo said:

This is my whole "argument." I just wish something like this was acceptable at more/most golf courses when paired with khaki shorts. Not a shirt slathered with a band name, not a shirt covered in holes that hasn't been washed in a month, not paired with cutoff jorts. I don't think I look like a slob in one of these shirts, though maybe you have a different opinion. 

Note: This thread is 1373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!