IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

11 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I was looking into buying little covers for my ball and tees.  Just being a smart ass, but the functionality of your irons is not affected by headcovers.  It comes down to whether the tiny dings bother you or not.  Essentially the only thing that happens to irons is the grooves wear down and the technology becomes old.  Hearcovers protect against neither.

To a certain extent I agree with you.  It is mostly cosmetic damage, but the other side of that is over time the damage can affect club performance, particularly if the grooves/face get affected by the damage.  Also, noise is reduced on the course and that matters.  Makes me feel like I am looking after my clubs and that increases my confidence

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/9/2021 at 5:24 PM, pganapathy said:

It is mostly cosmetic damage, but the other side of that is over time the damage can affect club performance, particularly if the grooves/face get affected by the damage.  

I am not going to hold my breath waiting for evidence of this ever having happened. In other words, it doesn't.

Bag chatter tends to affect the backs of irons, not the faces simply by the nature of how clubs behave in the bag. Faces are naturally protected.

• Like 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

On 4/9/2021 at 3:24 AM, pganapathy said:

over time the damage can affect club performance, particularly if the grooves/face get affected by the damage.

Eh not going to happen in one’s lifetime. 

noise is reduced on the course and that matters.

Negligible at best. 

Makes me feel like I am looking after my clubs and that increases my confidence

How does it increase your confidence? Confidence relates to your performance. Whether your clubs have normal wear doesn’t affect your performance. Therefore, I don’t see how it gives you confidence. Or maybe you just like shiny things; nothing wrong with it. 

19 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Clubs clicking together is as sweet a sound as metal spikes on a parking lot.

But not as sweet as the sound of Matt Kuchar saying "Goll-eeey Matty" as he hits one OB. :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

15 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Clubs clicking together is as sweet a sound as metal spikes on a parking lot.

Not to be confused with someone running to their car in metal spikes during a thunderstorm and scraping to a halt like an ice hockey player into their car door. Because that never happened. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

4 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

Not to be confused with someone running to their car in metal spikes during a thunderstorm and scraping to a halt like an ice hockey player into their car door. Because that never happened. 

Did the mini Bondo patches work?

Iron covers are like sweaters on dogs. Just stop it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It's like the guy who wants to get his ball retriever regripped to match his Par-BQ tools. 

Edited by TourSpoon
sp
  • Funny 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Maybe in Florida where you wear a parka when it’s 55F. When it’s 0F, the dog can wear a covering.

Oh and iron covers are definitely like white socks with sandals.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Maybe in Florida where you wear a parka when it’s 55F. When it’s 0F, the dog can wear a covering.

No no no Scott. Dog’s coats are well suited for cold weather. Do wolves in the mountains of Montana wear sweaters? Lol. 

But true about parkas when it’s sub 60* here. Hilarious when I see someone with a parka, hat and scarf with UGG boots and it’s 59*.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Man, you guys are brutal. Sweaters on dogs. White socks. I bet you don't even have a bed for your clubs at night or let them ride in the front seat on the way to the course. Quit treating your clubs like tools. They are part of the family and deserve love and respect. An uncovered iron is an unloved iron. There. I've said it!

• Funny 1

I will not put a white belt on my clubs!   A couple of the guys I play with on the weekend purchased new clubs and bought club covers.. ugh.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

Man, you guys are brutal. Sweaters on dogs. White socks. I bet you don't even have a bed for your clubs at night or let them ride in the front seat on the way to the course. Quit treating your clubs like tools. They are part of the family and deserve love and respect. An uncovered iron is an unloved iron. There. I've said it!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

56 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I will not put a white belt on my clubs!   A couple of the guys I play with on the weekend purchased new clubs and bought club covers.. ugh.   

Headcovers for your irons is like a vinyl film hood cover on your car.  It protects the hood from rock chips (purely aesthetic) but is a bad look.  Wear and tear on certain things in life is a given (bodies included), adds character and we should embrace it.  Like a good pair of faded jeans.  Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here.  And if I am then go out and buy some toe covers...

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Headcovers for your irons is like a vinyl film hood cover on your car.  It protects the hood from rock chips (purely aesthetic) but is a bad look.  Wear and tear on certain things in life is a given (bodies included), adds character and we should embrace it.  Like a good pair of faded jeans.  Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here.  And if I am then go out and buy some toe covers...

Don't worry the toes are in the sandals with the white socks...although sandals with black socks seem to be on the rise and more socially offensive especially in beach climes.