IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

#1 - Hip Turn, when I do it correctly my ball is 15-20y longer and straighter with driver, and 5-10y longer with irons.

#2 - Club Up, For whatever reason I remember everytime i've made perfect contact. Reality is I come up short more often than not, so clubbing up and swinging full will help my GIR stats.

#3 - SHORT GAME!, SHORT GAME!!, SHORT GAME!!! - I'm sick and tired of having shots under 120y & not putting the ball in the hole within 3 shots. I am working on the "touch and feel" aspect of the short game to become a pure killer inside this distance.

At the start of the year my goal was to break 80 for the first time. I've done it twice (79 & 77, Go COOP! ) So far I have not had a round above 87 so now I want to get gready! My new goal not have a round above 82 and break 80 at least 2 or 3 more times.

1.  Putting  (gotta start sinking the 8-10 footers more consistently).

2.  More consistent ball striking.

3.  Putting

4.  Chipping

5.  Putting

6.  Pitching

7.  Putting

8.  Putting

Did I mention putting?

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

Today I got a chance to work on my putting on a real practice green. I have a little practice regime I call "Rabbit & Dog" . I take an old ball which is designated the rabbit. My game ball is the dog. As I am walking across the green I drop the rabbit ball, with out looking at it. After I walk a few paces, I drop the dog ball. I then read the green back to the rabbit ball, and then putt the dog ball, trying to hit the rabbit ball. with the putted dog ball.

The paces between the two balls changes all the time, giving me short to long practice putts.

Using another ball in place of a regular cup, gives me a much smaller target to focus on.

Using another ball as a target allows me to use parts of the green that are not so damaged by excessive use.

Using this method gives me many more different putts than if I were putting to fixed cup.

The idea is to hit the rabbit ball with the putted dog ball in two or less putts.

I can even use this for chipping practice, where only a 1 putt is acceptable.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I noticed that I have some serious wrist-cupping going on (~70 degrees), so I'm trying to weaken my grip a bit. I've also interlocked my entire life, but have recently been playing with an overlap instead and found it to be quite comfortable. The cupped wrist could also explain why my shots often go to the right with a high fade. Hopefully fixing this will get a lower and straighter ball flight.

I've always tried to kill the ball, but for the last month or so I've been working on my swing tempo to try to make it much more smooth and effortless. I feel I've been swinging at about 80% power instead of 110%, and I've really liked the results so far - little to no loss of distance, and much more consistent ballstriking. In fact, my swing has felt great, but my shots were still off, which I couldn't figure out until very recently (see #1).

I've greatly improved on these two (no cupping, at least I don't think!), and I've been hitting much more effortlessly.

I've been hitting outside-in though (always have, really), with my divots pointing quite far to the left with a bit of a high fade (not a slice) to my shot. It actually plays pretty well and consistent most of the time, but I'd like to start getting a more inside-out swing path, so that's what I'm working on at the moment. I'll be posting a video within the next week or so.

-Rich

Got an impact bag. Working on lag. I am so sick of trying to hold my lag past my right leg. I just don't get it. So tired of it. It better be worth it and add 10+ MPH when I do.

Also I am messing with the distance my feet are separated and bending more at set up.

James

Got an impact bag. Working on lag. I am so sick of trying to hold my lag past my right leg. I just don't get it. So tired of it. It better be worth it and add 10+ MPH when I do.

Also I am messing with the distance my feet are separated and bending more at set up.

25 yards per club? That would be very nice!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I been noticing if I turn my left hand over so Im gripping with left thumb wrapped around the handle, like what Tommy Gainey does, I can get a bit more torque on the club,

makes it easier for me to turn and hit a lower stinging draw-hook flight with my irons.

I'm working with Stephan with Evolvr and I am working on Key #2 which is weight forward at impact. Basically he is having me do a drill where I take my backswing, pause for a second at the top, and then take my swing to parallel with my weight forward and knee flexed. I've been chipping balls working on that move and it has probably been the hardest drill I've ever done. Basically because it feels so weird. The hardest part is getting from where you point the butt of the club toward the target to get my weight forward. I think it is because for so long I have flipped my hands and it just feels so hard and weird.

Another hard thing has been to do that drill instead of hitting full swing shots. I normally get a medium bucket which is 45 balls so I've been doing that chipping weight forward drill 35 balls out of 45 and that is humbling. Yesterday was probably my hardest range session but I left happy because I knew I was improving even though you wouldn't know it watching me on the range. I've been working on this drill for about a week. Not sure how long it will take to master:)

Update two weeks later: The drill is getting a lot easier and I am starting to take some faster swings with more distance! I would love to know how many times I have done this drill - I bet it's well over 400 reps.

This video by Dana Dahlquist with one of his students is very similar to what I'm doing.

• Upvote 1

I tried putting yesterday w/o using any practice strokes. It worked great! Set the putter behind the ball, follow the line to the hole and back and then stroke it! I had been getting too fidgety on the greens, multiple practice strokes etc., and it just felt like I was taking too long to hit it. I was leaving a lot of putts short.

I may try to incorporate the same sort of method into my full swing preshot routine, certainly can't hurt the way I'm hitting it.

Right now at this moment... Laying on the couch watching my 8 1/2 month old crawl on the floor... Then probably sleeping... Then cooking a hundred or so burgers at work tomorrow... Then probably putting... Maybe finishing my follow through on my drives... And more putting... Then more sleeping and eating... Then maybe chipping... Making a better golf ball choice... Then more putting... Hitting a draw... And more cooking... Maybe by Sunday I can put an hour in practicing

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'm gonna change things up and work on lag, lol. I am calling BS that it happens naturally. I have read this all over and it just doesn't work like that, at least for me. I have a late flip so now I am going to work on making sure my shoulders rotate through the shot, I finish rotated big time but maybe I am cheating it and just don't feel the stall, and rotating my arm from the top. If those don't work I may just bend my right hand back and never let it go. I guess if I never release I can't do it early right.

James

• 2 weeks later...
Hate to jinx it but I might have the lag thing FINALLY. I moved my hands closer and set up with a slight toe up on the club and voila, lag just happened. Just one round and need to groove it but hoping tomorrow confirms it. If so it's on to pitching and putting until it's as perfect as can be and swinging faster without losing my swing or balance.

James

Putting and driving accuracy. I've made a putting grip change which is showing real promise. Also choking up an 1.5" or so .on my 45.5" driver.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Hate to jinx it but I might have the lag thing FINALLY. I moved my hands closer and set up with a slight toe up on the club and voila, lag just happened. Just one round and need to groove it but hoping tomorrow confirms it.

If so it's on to pitching and putting until it's as perfect as can be and swinging faster without losing my swing or balance.

Sounds great.  Just remember that swing faster is not the same as swinging harder.

Same thing as always. Sweet spot plane. When I get it right, everything else just falls into place or maybe it's 'when everything falls into place I get it right'.

Except club face control, that's always a bit of an adventure.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Getting ready for our club championship so I am just going to play lots of golf this week.  Told the wife I will see her Sunday night but no response yet.  I may also be looking for a place to live!

I think the question is what am I not working on?

Been in a slump for about 2 months now, it seems my swing hit a wall. What a jacked up road to get so I am even in the 90's again.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Note: This thread is 3219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!