IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mine is playing with someone that takes multiple mulligans on every shot.

In My Bag: Nike SQ Dymo Str8 fit driver Nike SQ 13* 3 wood Nickent 3dx 20* hybrid Wilson Pi5 irons 3-PW Cleveland CG 12 52* Nike VR Pro Forged Wedge 56* & 60* Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II Putter

When I lived in the SF Bay area I had a friend that would say, several times during the round, "One time today!".  Just always rubbed me the wrong way, like the course is actually taking something away from you on and why would you only want something good to happen once?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"You know what you did wrong there right?"

O_o

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Ohh the multiple mulligan guy.. I played with a friend who would take mullies on almost every bad shot, claiming that's just how his family played (his dad was supposed 70's shooter but more than likely couldn't break 90). At the end of the round I had bested him by four shots. He looked at my scorecard and said "Wow I haven't played in 6 months but I still almost beat you!" And he then inferred that he was therefore better than me. I reminded him that he easily gave himself at least 15 strokes, where I had given myself none.. shut him up real quick..

I can enjoy a round of golf with a mulligan guy, an overly chatty guy, or even a guy who gets mad after every shot.  The thing that gets me is someone who is just oblivious.  Not a beginner that doesn't know any better, but a golfer who has been playing for awhile and he's constantly standing and moving in your line of sight or stepping on your line.  Every once in awhile I get paired with a guy like that.  Irks me to no end.

• Upvote 1

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

The "take four practice swings, switch clubs, take two more practice swings then duff it 40 yards" guy. Seriously?? I play as a single a lot so I get paired up with all kinds of players. I really don't care how skilled or unskilled a player is and have had some great rounds with guys that couldn't break 100. But PLEASE, just hit the frickin ball already.

• Upvote 1

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Originally Posted by 1puttit

The "take four practice swings, switch clubs, take two more practice swings then duff it 40 yards" guy. Seriously?? I play as a single a lot so I get paired up with all kinds of players. I really don't care how skilled or unskilled a player is and have had some great rounds with guys that couldn't break 100. But PLEASE, just hit the frickin ball already.

+1 on this guy, I have an a friend like this, it got so bad we quit inviting  to him to play.  Actually, we would get a 6:30am tee time and he wasn't willing to play before 9am or we would play on a course that cost more than $20 and he wouldn't pay more than that.  After all, he never paid more then $20 in the 80's when he played, why should he pay more than that now, it's the same golf course!!!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Story teller guy. Starts telling a story, continues while he tees up the ball, then backs away and while everyone is waiting for him to just step up and hit the gd ball, brings the boring tale to it's predictably embellished yet still boring climax.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i can deal with anyone except for Slow Guy - i have said it many times before here:

Play Ready Golf or GTFO!!!

on a side note, i cant stand the guys who mack it to the cart girl.  do you really think you have a chance?  its so pathetic throwing your money at her, get a life...

Colin P.

I dont mind a little "angry guy"...   I think gettin fired up is a good thing.  I've turned many a bad round back to the good when I get mad.  It also depends on the caliber of player thats getting mad.  For example, if a scratch golfer throws a fit, I can give him some slack.  If a hacker throws a fit, thats un-called for.  This is known as the "pissy guy."  This is the guy that mopes around because he wants SO freakin bad to shoot a 75, but he cant break 90.  His first double bogey and he's done.  This irritates me to no end. This guy is also known as "the scorekeeper"

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Originally Posted by mvmac

When I lived in the SF Bay area I had a friend that would say, several times during the round, "One time today!".  Just always rubbed me the wrong way, like the course is actually taking something away from you on and why would you only want something good to happen once?

Are you and Hal Sutton still friends?

I hate the guy who's not ready to hit.  Either telling a story, fooling with his phone, or just sitting oblivious in his cart.  Every time it's his turn to hit, you have to tell him.  Then he looks around, acts surprised, and only then does he begin his exhausting routine of getting a yardage, selecting a club, etc....

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• Administrator

Guys who claim to have shot 74 the ten rounds before you play with them but who quite literally aren't breaking 100 the day you play with them.

And that's not the pet peeve.

The pet peeve is when they have excuses for every shot while you're playing with them. Especially good excuses are the ones are when they finally hit one on the screws (for them, and you can tell) and they still manage to come up 30 yards short of the flag.

I don't care if you shoot 100. Just shut up - I'm really not interested in what you think your problem(s) are that day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't care if you shoot 100. Just shut up - I'm really not interested in what you think your problem(s) are that day.

You must run into "what did I do wrong on that one?" guy a lot in your profession!!  Do you ever want to say something like, "you're biggest mistake was showing up at the course today."

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You must run into "what did I do wrong on that one?" guy a lot in your profession!!  Do you ever want to say something like, "you're biggest mistake was showing up at the course today."

No, because that would be improper grammar. Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

It struck me as odd but I've gotten used to it. What actually happens is they'll list all the things they do wrong and what they're working on. Rarely are they actually right, but there's almost never any asking - it's always telling (whether they've been working with another pro or not).

Of course, even if they ask, I really won't tell them. I might say something to get them through the round - for example, a guy duck hooking the ball I might say "just point the clubface way over there" (to the right) so he can get around the course without losing 17 more golf balls - but I won't give them advice or contradict anything they've told me.

People WILL ask about my swing. I rarely play "golf" these days in that I'm usually using the course to work on things, so they'll see me futzing around with a feeling or something and they'll ask about that.

But about their own swing? No, most people seem to think they know their own swing really well, even when they don't. :P

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!