IGNORED

Too Fast Play?

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 1697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 hours ago, KrisF said:

I dont want argue about this at all, but if someone is stuck behind me they can come up and ask to play through, but where I play the Starter tell folks, "Dont rush others and be patient". I took that as okay I dont need to worry about who is behind me and I dont need to rush anyone in front of me if there playing slower than me.

Sorry, for the run on sentence.

@KrisF , I hope you are here to learn things (as opposed to trolling). When a starter says ‘don’t rush and be patient’ to you as a single player, it is because a one ball should be way faster than a 2,3 or 4 ball. Never in my life I have had to let through when playing as a one ball. A one ball should finish his round in 3 hours. The only reason why that would not work is because of other slower flights in front of you.

There are thousands of posts on this forum alone discussing slow play, how to fix it and how irritating it is. The rules were changed this year part of trying to make the game faster. So you stating you play in 5 hours or more as a single looks like trolling. If its not, you have a major problem with pace of play. Fix it!

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed this thread, 5 hours as a single, @KrisFif you’re not playing behind a bunch of foursomes, you might be the slowest golfer ever. No wonder people want to tee off and get ahead of you or want to play through.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

I just noticed this thread, 5 hours as a single, @KrisFif you’re not playing behind a bunch of foursomes, you might be the slowest golfer ever. No wonder people want to tee off and get ahead of you or want to play through.

If no one holds me up, I think I would struggle to NOT finish well under 5 hours for 36 holes.  I really don’t think I could do it without a conscious, and very uncomfortable effort...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The more serious I get about the game, the more I think that I have played too fast up to this point. Maybe it has something to do with not wanting strangers to see my game because it has been terrible. Haven't really experienced rude golfers trying to play through because we're either moving at a fast pace or just welcome people to play through.

Playing golf is definitely less enjoyable if I'm worried about a bunch of people being inconvenienced. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

If no one holds me up, I think I would struggle to NOT finish well under 5 hours for 36 holes.  I really don’t think I could do it without a conscious, and very uncomfortable effort...

I'm with you, I play 18 holes in just about 2 hours if I have the course to myself, at 5 hours that's almost 17 minutes a hole.  @coachjimsc what would I do with all that extra time.  Maybe dance lessons?  :banana:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

6 hours ago, weifert said:

The more serious I get about the game, the more I think that I have played too fast up to this point. Maybe it has something to do with not wanting strangers to see my game because it has been terrible. Haven't really experienced rude golfers trying to play through because we're either moving at a fast pace or just welcome people to play through.

Playing golf is definitely less enjoyable if I'm worried about a bunch of people being inconvenienced. 

Don't worry too much about that. One way or the other, you'll get over it.

Hopefully, you'll just get better, but even if you don't, you won't be the problem that causes people to be inconvenienced. Bad players, like me, can still play at a good clip.

You are aware of the issue. It's the people that don't know or don't care that are the problem.

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2019 at 3:50 PM, KrisF said:

Alright im done talking about this, I swear if I start another explosion in other threads...

Well......bye. Seriously, you come on here and state it takes you five hours to play as a single and you don’t care about others behind you and you are surprised you're getting some blowback . Come on now

Edited by chilepepper

Ultimately, discussions about fast or slow play get nowhere because we all talk about completely different situations.  Walking or riding? Foursome, threesome, twosome, single? Hilly or flat? Long distances between green and tee or short?  Full course or empty?  Lots of forest and grassland or relatively open?  Strict play by the Rules or casual?

4 hours is very acceptable for a foursome walking 18 holes on a hilly, relatively difficult (Slope 130+), forested course.  All while playing individual stroke play, observing the Rules with a few exceptions (e.g. pickup after 9) AND playing a course with a mostly full tee sheet.

Introduce other elements and we are back to comparing apples with pineapples.

As far as "too fast play", I don't see that as a serious issue.  Most people that want to zip around the course play really early or late and often play in less than a foursome.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

I usually play on Monday and Friday mornings and there's rarely a crowd on the course. With one friend in the cart, we've played 18 holes in two and a half hours. The fact is, the less we need to search for lost balls makes all the difference in how quickly we play.

An aside to that... In an attempt to overcome the insane heat and humidity in Miami, I've gotten into what's probably a bad habit of waggling the club, but not taking an actual practice swing. When I swing, the sweat rolls off me onto my glasses. I'd have already wiped my face before the shot, so having to clean my glasses twice would be a real PITA. It speeds up our round, but at the same time, I'm sure it's not helping my game.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

What is the point of playing fast?  I do most things in life very fast as I'm wired that way.  But on the golf course what's the freaking hurry???  Now i don't like extremely slow players,  but 5 hours or so on the golf course is fine.  What the hell would I be doing that is a better use of my time? 🙂

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Zekez said:

What is the point of playing fast?  I do most things in life very fast as I'm wired that way.  But on the golf course what's the freaking hurry???  Now i don't like extremely slow players,  but 5 hours or so on the golf course is fine.  What the hell would I be doing that is a better use of my time? 🙂

Five hours is far too long.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Five hours is far too long.

Not for me.  Why is far too long for you?  I just enjoy the game, the course, being outside among nature.  Good company.  Why hurry it along?

6 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Not for me.  Why is far too long for you?  I just enjoy the game, the course, being outside among nature.  Good company.  Why hurry it along?

If the course is empty, this is fine. Or if you let people play through, this is fine. There is no reason that my round should take 5 hours when I have other things to do. Even on a weekend, 4.5 hours should be a max on a full course with 4 balls on every hole. Play ready golf if you are in a group. Don't look for your ball for more than the 3 minutes allotted. Follow the rules of golf, and don't sit on tee-boxes waiting for the group 350 yards ahead to play their shots. As long as you aren't 20-30 yards from hitting into them, hit the ball. I feel like all of this is common sense, but there are so many guys that take more practice swings in one round than shots they have played in the last month.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

24 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Because what you do on the golf course and how long it takes for you to play affects other people who may not feel the same way.

• Upvote 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

35 minutes ago, billchao said:

Because what you do on the golf course and how long it takes for you to play affects other people who may not feel the same way.

I get that, but my point was more about not really caring if I am out there for 5 hours.   Like I said,  I do most things in life quickly and playing golf is the same.  I am always ready and play quickly.   I just dont moan if my round takes 5 hours.

1 hour ago, Zekez said:

I get that, but my point was more about not really caring if I am out there for 5 hours.   Like I said,  I do most things in life quickly and playing golf is the same.  I am always ready and play quickly.   I just dont moan if my round takes 5 hours.

I've quit a round at 5 hours.   I've got places to go, things to do, people to see and my time is more valuable to me than your time is to me.  I was part of a traveling league last year and decided to not participate this year because a round of golf and the prize $$ each week took over 6 hours!  A round of golf shouldn't take more than 4 hours.   If everyone is playing ready golf, it won't.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Zekez said:

Among the many other reasons that make sense… you seem to fail to account for the fact that oftentimes if people can't play in four hours or less, they don't get to play at all. So it's not an option between 4 and 5 hours, it's an option between 4 and 0.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!