IGNORED

Too Fast Play?

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 1726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Zekez said:

What is the point of playing fast?  I do most things in life very fast as I'm wired that way.  But on the golf course what's the freaking hurry???  Now i don't like extremely slow players,  but 5 hours or so on the golf course is fine.  What the hell would I be doing that is a better use of my time? 🙂

For those of us who walk when we play, that extra time is spent standing.  Walking 2 1/2 hours for 18 holes is fine and I feel great at the end.  Same course, 4 1/2 hours, I am usually totally blitzed.  When temp is in the 90s, makes it worse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Zekez said:

Not for me.  Why is far too long for you?  

For the same reason that 45mph is far too slow on the Interstate...

• Like 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

6 hours ago, Zekez said:

I get that, but my point was more about not really caring if I am out there for 5 hours.   Like I said,  I do most things in life quickly and playing golf is the same.  I am always ready and play quickly.   I just dont moan if my round takes 5 hours.

If you are playing by yourself, playing "ready golf" and play quickly a leisurely round of golf should take 4 hours.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If you are playing by yourself, playing "ready golf" and play quickly a leisurely round of golf should take 4 hours.

IMB_YfrINF.thumb.GIF.673ce15e019bd660690926d91d29803b.GIF

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

17 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

For those of us who walk when we play, that extra time is spent standing.  Walking 2 1/2 hours for 18 holes is fine and I feel great at the end.  Same course, 4 1/2 hours, I am usually totally blitzed.  When temp is in the 90s, makes it worse.

I have often walked when golfing .  But I  dont walk in 90+ weather.

18 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I've quit a round at 5 hours.   I've got places to go, things to do, people to see and my time is more valuable to me than your time is to me.  I was part of a traveling league last year and decided to not participate this year because a round of golf and the prize $$ each week took over 6 hours!  A round of golf shouldn't take more than 4 hours.   If everyone is playing ready golf, it won't.

That's your choice to be aggravated.  Again I dont play slow at all, but I dont bitch when play is slower than I like. 

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Among the many other reasons that make sense… you seem to fail to account for the fact that oftentimes if people can't play in four hours or less, they don't get to play at all. So it's not an option between 4 and 5 hours, it's an option between 4 and 0.

So why does that matter to me how others choose to live their lives?  I cant be responsible when someone cant devote the necessary time to golf.  Give up something else for that extra hour to golf.  Again, I play rather quickly and have NEVER held up other golfers dud to slow play.

Edited by Zekez

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Again, I play rather quickly and have NEVER held up other golfers dud to slow play.

It’s not possible that if you like to play in 5 hours you’ve never held up someone.

I don’t care what you do. It’s how that affects others.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, Zekez said:

So why does that matter to me how others choose to live their lives?  I cant be responsible when someone cant devote the necessary time to golf.  Give up something else for that extra hour to golf.  Again, I play rather quickly and have NEVER held up other golfers dud to slow play.

The disconnect you are having is that you think golf should take that long. It shouldn't. Dolts on the course that take too much time are inconsiderate. Unless you are playing for thousands of dollars, you have no reason to take excessive practice swings, get yardages more than one time per shot, sit around for the wind to die down, or look for a ball longer than the allotted time (this would also be against the rules if you are playing for money and you could be called for it).

What makes you think that golf should take that long? Is it because it is all you have ever known? Is it because that is what you see the pros doing? 90 percent of golfers would love to get their round done in a reasonable time (3.5 to 4.25 hours). The other 10 percent are either people like you that have nothing outside of golf and probably show up early and stick around in the club house for 2 hours after, or they are the people that are holding up everyone else.

The thing about the course is that there is an excepted pace of play. If you are holding it up you should be warned/forfeited if it continues. One person or group's slow play can ruin the day for 100/200 people at once. That's like parking your car in the middle of a downtown intersection to take a phone call or send a text......on second thought I shouldn't give these people any more ideas.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

On 8/1/2006 at 6:54 PM, InTheTwenties said:

Interesting. I've never seen someone too fast. But I have seen guys that think they are faster than our group, ask to be let through, and wind up being slooooow. Then when you want to be let through, they ignore you.

Very annoying.

Now there's a Guinness World Record question.  Has any group ever played through only to end up being reverse played through by the group that originally was played through?  You know, leap frog.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:19 PM, Zekez said:

What is the point of playing fast?  I do most things in life very fast as I'm wired that way.  But on the golf course what's the freaking hurry???  Now i don't like extremely slow players,  but 5 hours or so on the golf course is fine.  What the hell would I be doing that is a better use of my time? 🙂

5 hours is way too slow. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

4 hours ago, Zekez said:

Again, I play rather quickly and have NEVER held up other golfers due to slow play.

Therein lies the crux of this entire question.  Have you ever asked the people behind you what they thought of your pace of play???  Or do you scamper to the parking lot after the 18th and you're outta there before they can talk to you?

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Upvote 1

On 7/29/2006 at 4:39 PM, Jeepthrills said:

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal two weeks ago about golfers who play too fast. The follow up was in todays Journal. I myself like to play quickly. My regular foursome (sometimes fivesome) can walk 9 holes on a Sunday morning in 1:30 to 1:45. We never rush and we can keep up pace even in front of the fastest groups. We can also carry on a conversation and have a good time with each other.

The article talked about the rude golfers that are always pushing to play through. Have you ever experienced golfers that were too fast? Is there such a thing as too fast?

I'm like you. I am over 60 and like to get on. I despise slow golfers, especially those who won't let me play through. Only last week when playing with a friend, got stuck behind a very slow 4 ball of inexperienced players. 

- Simon Hornsby

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Therein lies the crux of this entire question.  Have you ever asked the people behind you what they thought of your pace of play???  Or do you scamper to the parking lot after the 18th and you're outta there before they can talk to you?

The fastest some of them move all day is getting out off the parking lot before anyone behind them shows up!

In David's bag....

On 8/3/2019 at 6:19 PM, Zekez said:

I eat fast, I walk fast, and I drive VERY fast. Playing slow golf drives me to a point of despair. As well as that, just about every score card at every golf club clearly states "Avoid Slow Play At All Times". If you want to play slowly, that's fine, but PLEASE ensure you let others play through. In answer to your question "what would I be doing otherwise" have you not heard of a pub ?

Edited by Mr Puddle

- Simon Hornsby

21 hours ago, iacas said:

It’s not possible that if you like to play in 5 hours you’ve never held up someone.

I don’t care what you do. It’s how that affects others.

I never said that I like to play for 5 hours.  Please go back and read my posts.  I said that I don't bitch and moan if my round takes 5 hours.  If i am in the 1st group off for the day that round will be in the 3 to 3.5 hour range.  i play fast.,

6 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

I eat fast, I walk fast, and I drive VERY fast. Playing slow golf drives me to a point of despair. As well as that, just about every score card at every golf club clearly states "Avoid Slow Play At All Times". If you want to play slowly, that's fine, but PLEASE ensure you let others play through. In answer to your question "what would I be doing otherwise" have you not heard of a pub ?

I prefer golf to drinking!

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Sigh.. again.  Can't you guys read my posts correctly?  I do not play slow.  period.  i just don't whine when a round takes 5 hours. I simply enjoy the time out on the course.  I'm just different than you guys when it comes to that.

19 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

The disconnect you are having is that you think golf should take that long. It shouldn't. Dolts on the course that take too much time are inconsiderate. Unless you are playing for thousands of dollars, you have no reason to take excessive practice swings, get yardages more than one time per shot, sit around for the wind to die down, or look for a ball longer than the allotted time (this would also be against the rules if you are playing for money and you could be called for it).

What makes you think that golf should take that long? Is it because it is all you have ever known? Is it because that is what you see the pros doing? 90 percent of golfers would love to get their round done in a reasonable time (3.5 to 4.25 hours). The other 10 percent are either people like you that have nothing outside of golf and probably show up early and stick around in the club house for 2 hours after, or they are the people that are holding up everyone else.

The thing about the course is that there is an excepted pace of play. If you are holding it up you should be warned/forfeited if it continues. One person or group's slow play can ruin the day for 100/200 people at once. That's like parking your car in the middle of a downtown intersection to take a phone call or send a text......on second thought I shouldn't give these people any more ideas.

Couldn't be more wrong about me, but thanks for trying!

I do work full time by the way.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:19 PM, Zekez said:

Please notice what I said in my earlier post. 

On 8/3/2019 at 9:49 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

If you are playing by yourself, playing "ready golf" and play quickly a leisurely round of golf should take 2 hours.

Fixed.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:49 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Ooops.  I guess there is no "ready golf" when you are playing by yourself.

That’s not what the face palm was for.

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

If you are playing by yourself, playing "ready golf" and play quickly a leisurely round of golf should take 2 hours.

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Fixed.

^^^^ That was... ^^^^

• Like 1

In David's bag....

On 8/1/2019 at 3:48 AM, jsgolfer said:

I'm with you, I play 18 holes in just about 2 hours if I have the course to myself, at 5 hours that's almost 17 minutes a hole.  @coachjimsc what would I do with all that extra time.  Maybe dance lessons?  :banana:

I don't understand this at all.  I've had limited time where I'm trying to play as many holes as I can really quickly.  Even with a cart, constantly conscious of trying to rush, literally near sprinting from the cart to the green, and skipping putting entirely on ~1/2 the holes, I never played 9 holes any faster than 50 some minutes.  Granted, I still did at least an abbreviated pre shot routine, but man.  Even without one beyond assessing club and shot choice, 18 holes in 2 hours sounds not at all fun as a stock personal pace!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 1726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!