IGNORED

How Do You Hit 170 Yards With 7 Iron?

Note: This thread is 1672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I clicked that tutleman URL.  It's bogus.  The text is all Korean language and not apparently golf related.

He might have fixed the link because it works now.

- Jered

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually choke down on the 7iron or use a full strike 8iron to hit it 170 yards

Dang, that is so cool man.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I usually choke down on the 7iron or use a full strike 8iron to hit it 170 yards

Pffft....Lightweight

I usually choke down on a SW to hit 170.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• 7 months later...

I mentioned this in my post above and posted links which included the following:

My Titleist irons from the 90s:

A recent TM set:

Wow, that's two clubs stronger.

Kevin

My 7 iron at 37.25" and 35 degree loft is between 155-165 yards. That's plenty enough for me. I'm a huge opponent of jacked lofts. I think from the 6 iron down it makes the game harder for higher cappers. Swinging a 5 iron can be like swinging a 3 iron and they have no idea why it's so hard to hit a 5 iron. Sure when they get a hold of 1 they marvel at the fact they just hit a 5 iron 200 yards. But in reality it was most likely a 3 or 4 iron. To clarify I'm not against GI or SGI. I just hope that when those buying a 3 iron badged as a 5 iron that they fully understand they are really buying a 3-9 or 4-P not a 5-Gap and that the 5 and 6 may be tough to hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I mentioned this in my post above and posted links which included the following:

A recent TM set:

You also have to take into consideration launch angle.  Even though your Titleist set had a higher loft, the club head itself may have been lower launching.  The TM set could launch very high, so the lower loft would bring that down a bit.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

You also have to take into consideration launch angle.  Even though your Titleist set had a higher loft, the club head itself may have been lower launching.  The TM set could launch very high, so the lower loft would bring that down a bit.

Yes, thank you.

There's more to launch angle than loft. CG plays an important role. Ask Matt ( @saevel25 ) what the loft of the TaylorMade irons he tested was, and how high they launched…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by natureboy

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

A recent TM set:

I regret writing this post in that it may throw other people off. Bleh. :8) People - I was wrong... Wrong... Opposite of right. :~(

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yes, thank you.

There's more to launch angle than loft. CG plays an important role. Ask Matt (@saevel25) what the loft of the TaylorMade irons he tested was, and how high they launched…

Yep launches the ball VERY HIGH :-D

SLDR 7 iron: 36.75 in, 32 degrees of loft, I had the KBS C-Taper Lite shafts X-stiff (Mid High Launch, Mid Spin)

My MP 59 7 iron: 36.75 in, 34 degree of loft, they have the KBS Tour Shafts X-Stiff (Mid Launch, Mid Low Spin)

Just because I was curious, using Flightscope Trajectory Optimizer.

If you keep everything the same. Same ball speed, same spin, but just change the loft 2 degrees so the ball launches 2 degrees higher. The height of the ball would only increase about 2-3 yards. PGA Tour players average 3 yards variance in their iron max height, 29-32 yards.

From testing the SLDR irons, they launch the ball HIGH!! If I had to guess, I would say the ball launched about 10-15 yards higher between my MP 59 and the SLDR irons. Yet if all being equal, only 3 yards of that was from loft. The rest was from the golf shaft, which probably can change the launch angle by a few degrees. I am not sure how much more high launching the C-Taper Lite is compared to their standard KBS Tour. So maybe another 3 yards. So the rest is all in the clubhead design, basically the COG placement.

I would say the primary driver of launch angle is COG.

Just look at the SLDR driver. People have to increase the degrees of their driver by as much as 4-5 degrees!!! The reason being the front and low COG position just launches the ball lower with lower spin. So the higher loft is used to counter act this.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

SLDR 7 iron: 36.75 in, 32 degrees of loft, I had the KBS C-Taper Lite shafts X-stiff (Mid High Launch, Mid Spin)

My MP 59 7 iron: 36.75 in, 34 degree of loft, they have the KBS Tour Shafts X-Stiff (Mid Launch, Mid Low Spin)

From testing the SLDR irons, they launch the ball HIGH!! If I had to guess, I would say the ball launched about 10-15 yards higher between my MP 59 and the SLDR irons. Yet if all being equal, only 3 yards of that was from loft. The rest was from the golf shaft, which probably can change the launch angle by a few degrees.

You mean three degrees of that would be attributed to the MP-59… the SLDRs overcame that and STILL added several yards.

Plus, launch angle and peak height aren't quite the same. We could measure launch angles on a FlightScope in person though…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You mean three degrees of that would be attributed to the MP-59… the SLDRs overcame that and STILL added several yards.

Plus, launch angle and peak height aren't quite the same. We could measure launch angles on a FlightScope in person though…

Yep got that reverse. Yes, then I guess COG and other factors matter even more.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 6 months later...
If you a reasonably athletic, you should be able to hit the ball fairly well. I'm 58. I don't hit it as far as I did 30 years ago, but I still hit it pretty well. The first thing I'd recommend is some lessons. They'll get you straightened out. It's all at the impact. I'd work on half swings and work on hitting an impact bag to get that "pop". The weight shift and hips are critical. The max I try to hit my 7 iron is about 175 (need loft over a tree etc), but typically it's more in the 155-160 range. If I need to hit any farther, I drop down to the 6 iron or 5 iron etc.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Thanks for reply.I have a set of 6 lessons set up with a teaching pro.I guess it was just pride.All I wanted when I started was to get around the course and break 100.Well after 10 rounds shot 85 and now I want to get it right.I know I'm missing some basics that I don't see or even know about.Thanks again

Hi guys 60 year old golfer of 1 year handicap 18 can only hit 7 iron 130 yards no lessons any hints.I hit driver 220 6 iron 135  I need help

I am also ahem 60 in chronological years, lol, and am hitting irons longer than I did at 40, and it's not with big headed irons. ultra-lite shafts, and extreme weighting in the irons.

Lessons and video.

Fitting.

More lessons and video.

And for only golfing for one year without lessons, you're doing well.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 1672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!