IGNORED

How Do You Hit 170 Yards With 7 Iron?

Note: This thread is 1672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's how I did it. Once.

I was in a 3-clubs+putter tournament with my men's club. I was 170 yards from the green with a 7-iron that I hit 142 yards and a 19* hybrid that I hit 200. I figured it would be easier to crank on the 7-iron than to pull back on the hybrid, so I just geared up for the effort and hit the s**t out of the 7. Made it to the green, and vowed never to do that again.

(My third club was a 54* wedge.)

I hit my 7i 200 yards one time, I hit it maybe the best i ever have, it bounced off a tree and rolled about 60 yards. I hit it a gain and it went about 140 yards. Wait is 170 in one shot?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

surprisingly big distances are achievable at almost all ages and physical condition.

HOW ? It's a pure technical issue I beleive. and maybe easy material too.

today I hit my 8 iron 150m that 165 yards, easy, just pure. my 6 goes 170m thats about 187yards.

after 2,5 years of rewinding my swing with a pro about 1 lesson every 3 months I got huge distance improvement I never thought could be achieved.

It came all by itself with clean contact, better positions thus better speed, better motricity towards the target etc.

I started flying greens and hitting hybrides or 4 iron off the tee instead of a 3 wood or driver. It was sporadic then became totally constant.

I did pass a part of my training hitting it as fast and far as I can. Now I hit it farther with less effort. I believe Nicklaus said this route is interesting (hit it far, straight will come after). Worked for me.

According to game golf, I typically hit my 8 iron 170.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

According to game golf, I typically hit my 8 iron 170.

But the 5 iron only goes 145.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

It can be done with proper technique and physical conditioning. Get some lessons to help clean up your swing and hit the weights and stretch. And practice, practice and practice some more.

Just thin it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just thin it.

Screw 7 irons, I can hit PW 170, they just happen to travel 5 feet off the ground :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If my average 7 iron is 152 (190 off the tee) and my driver average is 209, i should assume my drives are not nearly as far as they should be?

Driver - Ping G15 12 Degree Loft
3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
4-PW - Taylormade Burner 2.0
Putter - Ping Anser 2

My swing (help is much appreciated) - http://thesandtrap.com/t/80964/my-swing-logo

If my average 7 iron is 152 (190 off the tee) and my driver average is 209, i should assume my drives are not nearly as far as they should be?

You average 38 more yards by teeing up your 7 iron??

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Haha i probably only tracked a few of the best drives with that club so saying 190 was prob not accurate. I use it on all 155-165 yard holes off the tee. But my 152 is from tons of 7 iron shots. I just dont get why my irons are so close to my drives

Driver - Ping G15 12 Degree Loft
3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
4-PW - Taylormade Burner 2.0
Putter - Ping Anser 2

My swing (help is much appreciated) - http://thesandtrap.com/t/80964/my-swing-logo

Simply put, why does it matter what club you use at whatever distance? It has zero to do with what club. It has everything to do with distance control and controlling your spin with flight/trajectory. You either hit your targets or you don't, who cares if it's with a wedge or a 4 iron? As long as you have the right tool to hit your spot perfectly... for the next shot..

Simply put, why does it matter what club you use at whatever distance?

It has zero to do with what club. It has everything to do with distance control and controlling your spin with flight/trajectory. You either hit your targets or you don't, who cares if it's with a wedge or a 4 iron? As long as you have the right tool to hit your spot perfectly... for the next shot..

I get what you're trying to say, but distance is an advantage and I think you're not giving it enough credit. It's easier for players of all levels to control a wedge vs a 4 iron, so when it comes to hitting a target, you're going to have a better chance with the wedge.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Simply put, why does it matter what club you use at whatever distance?

It has zero to do with what club. It has everything to do with distance control and controlling your spin with flight/trajectory. You either hit your targets or you don't, who cares if it's with a wedge or a 4 iron? As long as you have the right tool to hit your spot perfectly... for the next shot..

Higher lofted clubs are less likely to curve. Less likely to curve means that the only way they go offline is if you push or pull them. This makes the more accurate.

So if you take a guy who hits a 7 iron 170 versus a guy who hits 4 iron 170, the guy hitting 7 iron will have a built in advantage because 7 irons curve less than 4 irons.

Also they land at a steeper angle as well, so getting them to stop on greens is an advantage as well. 7 irons will have more spin as well, another advantage.

We are not talking about someone who has the inability to hit 7 irons accurately at 170 versus a guy who can hit accurate 4 irons at 170. If you can hit a 7 iron 170 you get freebie help because of hitting a shorter club length, higher lofted club.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Higher lofted clubs are less likely to curve. Less likely to curve means that the only way they go offline is if you push or pull them. This makes the more accurate.

So if you take a guy who hits a 7 iron 170 versus a guy who hits 4 iron 170, the guy hitting 7 iron will have a built in advantage because 7 irons curve less than 4 irons.

Also they land at a steeper angle as well, so getting them to stop on greens is an advantage as well. 7 irons will have more spin as well, another advantage.

We are not talking about someone who has the inability to hit 7 irons accurately at 170 versus a guy who can hit accurate 4 irons at 170. If you can hit a 7 iron 170 you get freebie help because of hitting a shorter club length, higher lofted club.

Unless the ball is above or below your feet. But generally I agree with you - especially for hard / fast greens pros play on unless they hit them very low to hit that far.

Kevin

Unless the ball is above or below your feet. But generally I agree with you - especially for hard / fast greens pros play on unless they hit them very low to hit that far.

[quote name="saevel25" url="/t/32564/how-do-you-hit-170-yards-with-7-iron/180#post_1144712"] Higher lofted clubs are less likely to curve. Less likely to curve means that the only way they go offline is if you push or pull them. This makes the more accurate.  So if you take a guy who hits a 7 iron 170 versus a guy who hits 4 iron 170, the guy hitting 7 iron will have a built in advantage because 7 irons curve less than 4 irons.  Also they land at a steeper angle as well, so getting them to stop on greens is an advantage as well. 7 irons will have more spin as well, another advantage.  We are not talking about someone who has the inability to hit 7 irons accurately at 170 versus a guy who can hit accurate 4 irons at 170. If you can hit a 7 iron 170 you get freebie help because of hitting a shorter club length, higher lofted club.  [/quote] I definitely understand the advantage of length.. and no offense but your statements are as obvious as it gets. I would be surprised if anyone didn't understand those. I truly get what you're trying to articulate but the concept is rudimentary. I'm simply saying.. If you can hit your target, the club doesn't matter.. Long short.. Who cares..a better question I guess is why? Why do want to use a 7 iron to hit a 170 target? The answer is, whatever club hits the 170 yard target. It's different for almost everyone. You completely missed my point. If you are able to hit your target, it does not matter what club you use, or curve or anything used to consistently always hit your the target. If I hit a low knock down smother punch draw with a 5 iron inside 10 ft every time to a screen 150 yds away, the club doesn't matter.. Or I step on a wedge into the same green.. All I want is the target... Whatever SHOT hits the target. Using the right shot with the right club to get the result. You either hit your target, or you don't. Period.

Note: This thread is 1672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!