IGNORED

Winter's over....What's the state of your game?

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 5146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd be interested to hear feedback on this. Many have had to endure a more harsh winter than normal so many of the avid brethren have been off the course for a while. With spring upon us, I was curious how everyone's game is fairing right now. The usual? Rusty? Improved?!

I'm pleased to report that my game is looking better than normal. I haven't played a whole lot but what I have has been good. I think the winter weight lifting program has paid huge dividends as I am pounding the driver right now AND with some accuracy (I have been working on some slight swing change). I'm attacking more par fives in two and the putting is better than normal for this time of year. I did switch putters so not sure what the contributing factor in that is. I'm fighting a slight nagging injury which is not improving as I'd like which might hold me back from playing more but I'm very encouraged by the early season efforts.

So where do you stand?

• Administrator
Better than I left it.

Oh, duh, I should clarify... I never really left it per se. I hit balls just about every week in the off-season. The off-season this year was pretty short because we were still playing golf in November here. So December - February, really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My game isn't all that bad. I shot 3 over in my first round, and I have really made some improvements since then. My putting still sucks, but what else it new?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very good. First rounds back were 84 and 81. Good rounds for me. The swing feels good and if i could put i wouldv'e been in the 70's both times

In my bag:
Titleist 910 D3 9.5 Degree
TaylorMade R11 3 Wood 15.5 Degree
Adams A12 19 Degree
Cleveland CG16 Tour Irons 4-PW

Taylormade rac Gap 52 Degree, Cleveland CG15 56 Degree, Cleveland CG14 60 Deg

Odyssey 2-Ball

My handicap slipped 2 points but it's on the way back up.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Very rusty....I put today's results in another thread.

Tempo and posture were / are huge areas that I hope to improve for my next round.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I played my first round of the year yesterday. I was pretty impressed with my game. A few strokes over what I usually score on that particular course. I had been working pretty hard at the indoor driving range this winter, so it's not like it was the first time I'd swung my club this year.

I felt like my short game finess (usually the strongest part of my game) was a little off and I just couldn't get comfortable over the ball putting. Which is odd....since I'd been working really hard all winter with putting on the carpet down the office hallway. Guess it just goes to show...putting on a real green can't be simulated!

Anyways....look forward a great year ahead!

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I have yet to play 18 as well. It's still early, but my scores are much improved over last year as the blow up holes have been eliminated. I attribute this to time spent in a heated range stall in 30 degree weather as well as a book I read over the winter "Zen Golf". I'm playing sub bogey golf and the handicap is going down. I'm thinking my way around the course and not playing a single shot without a shot shape in mind as well as a concrete pre-shot routine.

Perfect,, shot 75, 76 over the weekend... of course I have spent the last 3 years in Hawaii... the 4 years before that in San Diego,,, ask me again this time next year after my first winter in Rhode Island :)

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

Played first round last sunday, hit two buckets before that and was pretty happy with the swing changes from the drills I have been doing in the house. Shot a 102 which isnt really good for me, but its the first time out, and there were 40 putts, lousy chipping, and wasnt getting off the tee very well with the woods, only thing going for me were my irons. Still its the first round out, and it shows what I need to work on, winter is gone and plenty of golf to play!

In my 's bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5, Fujikara Red R Flex shaft, and Winn PCI grip
3w, 5w: HiBore XLS Fujikara Gold R Flexshaft, and Winn PCI grips
Irons: Viper HT heads, True Temper XL Lite shafts, and Winn PCI grips
Putter: XG #9 35"Ball: TP II

Before my first round of the year on Saturday, I hadn't picked up a club other than my putter since November 29th.

Suprisingly, I feel great standing over the ball. I don't know what happened over the Winter. I'm hitting my drives dead straight right down the middle and much longer than last year.

I haven't missed a beat over the Winter.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Hopefully better than ever. I lost 15 lbs (got back in shape... ever since my track days have been over I gained about 20-30 lbs), and have got a few lessons on my swing. That being said, when I first got out and hit some balls, I was back to swinging over the top. Those old habits die hard.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

I'm better than when the season ended (November). I hit balls into my net all winter. I putted inside daily and chipped/pitched in the (non-fenced) continuous backyard a lot.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Ironically, I think better. I've made it to the range about 5 times this year, and have a lot of new clubs that better suit me as well as a many hours practicing indoor chipping and putting. Chipping was a real weakness of mine, so as I look to play my first round this weekend I'm hoping I'll feel like I play better than I left off last September.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Disaster and great, all at the same time. This is the earliest I've played in several years, really caught the bug again. Working on swing changes, went out and just hacked 18 last Saturday for my first round. Also happened to have a new driver and 3 wood to contend with. After the round while we were laughing at my "score", my buddy said I hit more pure shots than he ever saw. So I'll take the positives and move on.

CARBITE Putter

Note: This thread is 5146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!