IGNORED

Driver Off the Deck

Note: This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@DaveP043 hitting driver off the deck at the range.

I tried it, too. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here it is in slow motion:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

That was a bit of a fade, but not a big Bubba-fade.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

14 hours ago, billchao said:

@DaveP043 hitting driver off the deck at the range.

I tried it, too. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

And I got a shout out too! Excellent @DaveP043!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, RFKFREAK said:

Decide against videoing your swing, @billchao?

No, why do you ask? I did it and there were witnesses, I'm good. Honestly it feels a little weird just holding a club right now so I'm happy just hitting the ball solid.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but I can't think of a situation where I'm likely to do it on course.

Bill

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

No, why do you ask? I did it and there were witnesses, I'm good. Honestly it feels a little weird just holding a club right now so I'm happy just hitting the ball solid.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but I can't think of a situation where I'm likely to do it on course.

Just thought it would have been fun to see your video since we saw Dave's.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

4 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Just thought it would have been fun to see your video since we saw Dave's.

I hit it pretty well both times, probably just as good as Dave's shots. That's not fun, that's just me making a good pass at the ball.

Fun would have been watching me top the crap out of it so it went 15 yards or shanking it or some other hilariously tragic mis-hit.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I hit it pretty well both times, probably just as good as Dave's shots. That's not fun, that's just me making a good pass at the ball.

Fun would have been watching me top the crap out of it so it went 15 yards or shanking it or some other hilariously tragic mis-hit.

Haha, I think we may have different definitions of fun. 😉

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

7 hours ago, billchao said:

You'll need it for the 18th at Kapalua, if we ever have a Moderator Outing there!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm here to verify, @billchao hit his driver off the mat pretty well, especially considering it was his first try ever. 

8 hours ago, billchao said:

We both kept those other shots in reserve for the actual golf course.  Lots of fun having Bill and his delightful wife join us for the weekend.

And the 18th at Kapalua is so down hill that even I wouldn't think of trying to hit driver from the fairway.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

10 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Haha, I think we may have different definitions of fun. 😉

Maybe. I just figured it would be funnier to see me making a fool out of myself, which didn't happen until I got on the course 🤣

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm here to verify, @billchao hit his driver off the mat pretty well, especially considering it was his first try ever

It was a pretty good shot. For me 😉

• Like 2

Bill

My Swing Thread

Brave to hit your driver off of a mat like that and risk snapping the shaft. That's part of the reason I don't practice this shot very much - I probably chunk it 50% of the time, and I don't think that's super healthy for the shaft. Especially off a mat.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

20 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Brave to hit your driver off of a mat like that and risk snapping the shaft. That's part of the reason I don't practice this shot very much - I probably chunk it 50% of the time, and I don't think that's super healthy for the shaft. Especially off a mat.

If you're pretty shallow at the bottom of your arc it's no problem at all. I don't even think I brushed the mat. I'd guess my AoA was very close to zero.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Here is my "secret weapon" for driver off the deck.  "Back in  the day"...I recall frequently using a persimmon off the deck with fairly decent results. One concern I have is how it will fare with today's hard cover balls.

IMG_20180816_133539122.jpg

IMG_20180816_133602499.jpg

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I like driver off the deck when you have a level lie and a slight downhill fwy. I've hit a ball that comes out low with the Ping G400 Max and received lots of roll on a par 5. It's not the shot I want to play, but I'd hit a short drive and wanted to be within 70 yards of the hole and in the wide fairway for my 3rd shot.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!