IGNORED

How much do you spend on golf?

rembrandt
Note: This thread is 4651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How much $$$ annually?

• under$100
    • 100-300
    • 301-500
    • 501-1000
    • 1001-2000
    • 2001-5000
    • 5000+

For me it's about $1400 a month that includes range, cart fees, beers daily of course!, and lunch daily. Does not include any golf trips or golf related purchases BUT for me it's worth it as I golf daily 350 time per year, (figure some rainout day in there, otherwise it would be 365!).  Without a club membership I would easily spend double that.

Uh oh, I don't think I want to know the total, but here's a rough estimate per month.   I don't include food costs and general clothing since I need those whether golfing or not.

• Green fees $700
  • Range costs $240
  • Golf trips (3-4 weekend excursions per year + larger annual trip)    $700 amortized monthly cost
  • Clubs  (amortized monthly cost)     $80
  • Balls and misc      $50
  • Clothing  (golf specific stuff including shoes, not dual purpose)    $50

Ouch, a little over $1800/month......I knew I didn't want to add these up.     Please, nobody here tell my wife.

But the good news is that clubs are a relatively miniscule part of the total costs.   I could buy all new clubs twice as often and it would barely dent the expenses!

• 3 months later...

Well, the honeymoon is over...

My $99 fee (for the entire year) of unlimited range time has been discovered.  It's technically "unlimited 30 minute sessions", but when there is an open spot you can hang out there as long as you want.  The place just opened six months ago, and I had never seen it full, so often would spend 2+ hours swinging.

However, it was a popular Christmas gift.  Since the holiday, the place has been packed full from open to close and I've been limited to 30 minutes daily.  I guess I'm just greedy that I wanted unlimited play.

Unfortunately, in heavy practice (~10 hours weekly over six months) I've simply learned all the different ways to shank the ball...

• Upvote 1

$75.00 2X Week at Newport Dunes in Port Aransas TX

$30.00 1X Week at Gabe Lazano in Corpus Christi TX

$21.00 1X Week at Gulf Winds on The Navy Base at Corpus Christi

$201.00 per week

Plus I'm only 9 miles for a PGA Superstore, 6 months out of the year.  That is like a monkey peeing on a cash register, it's going to run into money.

Don't tell my wife!!!!!!!!

Bait Bucket

I golf on a budget. I buy my balls now were they are 2 for one or on sale. I typically buy clubs that are 2-3 years old, I have found older name brands clubs are better than new cheap ones. I will upgrade in the off season some times spending $300 on club(s).

I like to walk a course were I have 2 local that are $12 for 9. I have a budy that gets out of work just in time for twilight golf which is 1/2 the price with cart.

So I typicall can spend 40-80 a month on green fee's.

I do splurge a couple times a year and get on a really nice course.

But, in my opinion golf can be a expensive as you want to make it.

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

I never added it up but I budget $100 a week to cover playing, clubs, lessons, magazines, balls, etc. Having said that I'm a disabled vet so here in New York I get to play the State courses for free. That saves me a lot of money.

An option to consider would be to seek a part time position at a course.

Positions like ranger, inside / outside staff, course maintenance all provide

golf benefits / range, golf, equipment discounts, good used equipment deals and lessons.

It will truly accelerate your progression and improvement.

Also, you might meet an old duffer like myself who could help you develop your skills.

My golf expense's - 35 yrs x $$.$$ dollars, I could probably be retired by now.........

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You guys suck! Seriously. Why? For making me think about this! :) I can't break it down monthly because of a lot of one time purchases. I was out of the game for a bit and started fresh last winter so for the last year ... New clubs ... $2500 Balls ... $200 Lessons .... $900 Practice ... $1000 Playing ... $1300 The total is almost $6k!! And I'm probably forgetting something! Upside ... A $30 membership to TST brought me approx $700-800 in free stuff! So I got that going for me.

• Administrator

About 18 hours a day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I budget $1200 a year for greens fees and try to stick to less expensive courses while mixing in the occasional nice course. I probably spend about $200 a year on misc stuff, balls, tees, gloves, etc. Last year I bought a brand new driver ($400) and this year I think I will buy new irons which I figure $600 - $800. So all told, probably between $1400 - $2000 a year.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

So I got that going for me.

which is nice.        Great Caddyshack reference man.

I spend about $200.00/month in membership/greens fees which covers range as well (covers walking 4 times and 1 cart fee). Canongate golf here in Atlanta is a pretty decent deal.

Just started back in May after about a five year hiatus so I spent about $1300.00 on equipment (new bag, used clubs, regripping, range finder, balls, shoes, etc). So this year I've got about $3k in this year.

I'll probably get new irons for my birthday but keep the budget at about $600. But I'm going to get some lessons this year so figure another $400-500 on that as well. So about $3,500.00 for this next year as well.

When I was young with small kids, I wouldn't have been able to get the time for golf, and I didn't have the money anyway. Now I'm retired and I have both, so I get in around 60 rounds per year at local munis which is around $2K. Add maybe another $1K for gear, snacks, and range fees.  Guess I am still cheap. I should spend more.

I figured out long ago that I would not be able to support my golf habit. The solution...I got a part time job at a golf course. I play for free, practice for free, and get huge discounts on all my equipment. As much as I play and practice, and buy stuff it has to save me close to $10,000 a year.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

OMG, I thought our course fee's were high. My local course charges $210 a year, play as many times as you like, cart is $20 .There is one other course about 15 minutes away. There I can get a 18month membership for $515. Then you can get a cart for $15 and play as many day as you like. I just made some new purchases so I'm guessing I've spent $1700 in gear for the last couple of months, but I'm set for a long time, now it will only be balls gloves and tee's I hope

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

Stolen clubs = $0.00

Balls found on course = $0.00

Sneaking onto the golf course = $0.00

Being incarcerated for larceny and trespassing = 1 year in county and 3 years supervised probation, plus $5000 in fines.....

PRICELESS !!!!

(This was meant to be a joke)

In this past year I've spent a little over $1000. In January of 2013 I plan to get a 1 year membership ($450). Carts not included. I'll probably spend a little more this year, but I doubt I'll exceed $2000. Unless I win some big amount of money.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Note: This thread is 4651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!